The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
slikside

Heater Water Valve??

Hey guys, I have a '72 C-10 with no AC. I know that my heater does not have a control valve on it. I just pulled the whole thing a few weeks ago and haven't got it all back together yet, but I just saw these things in a catalog. I understand the concept (maybe the motor would come up to temp quicker without constantly running fluid through the core), but what other advantage would there be to having one? They have them for AC and no AC trucks.

With my setup (I'm pretty sure it's original) fluid runs through the core continuously. The "heat" control simply operates a diverter on the heater box between the blower fan and the core. Air either enters the cab before or after passing through the heater core. No fluid control valve. Why would you need one for no AC truck?
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Shyguy

Re: Heater Water Valve??

You don't need one. None of my non-a/c trucks have had one. I think it is good for the anti-freeze to always circulate, it keeps down the corrosion I thank.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
slikside

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

I guess you would also have to rig a custom control for it, because the stock set up isn't capable the way it is.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
48richard

On the A/C trucks the heater core is inside the cab, and even with the A/C on, that thing gets hot! In "Inside Air" mode the water is shut off to the heater core, so I have rigged mine by disconnecting (and plugging, of course) the vacuum hoses to the air valves in the cowl and kick panel. Now I can run it in the "Inside Air" position, still getting outside air, but without the hot water in the heater core. Now my cab gets so cold I have to dial in some heat when I'm going along the freeway.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
slikside

OK, that explains a lot! Obviously the AC trucks are radically different from the no AC trucks. I really haven't checked out that many of these trucks other than my own, so the different configurations are mostly new to me.

What I don't understand is why a catalog is offering one of these valves for non AC trucks when they clearly aren't needed? Kind of like trying to sell you a great tube for your tubeless tires!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
VOLZ1207

I have one on my 67. Here in tennessee it gets hot as $%*# in the summer. It allows you to prevent coolant from circulating through your heater core. Its not a/c by no means, but it does make a difference. I shut mine off in springtime and open it up in the fall. Good luck. Be safe.
VOLZ1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
tcoop68
tcoop68

The best reason is just exactly what VOLZ1207 said in his post , it just will make your truck a little cooler in the summer and it won't hurt not to circulate the anti freeze. Try it you will see.
Posted via Mobile Device
tcoop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
1970 Bowtie
It's all in the timing

I have one on my truck,got it at autozone.I think I payed about $8.00 for it,and it does make a differance in the summer.
1970 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
slikside

Alright guys, another reason I hadn't considered...A "seasonal valve" for your heater. Makes sense, but I still think I'm going to skip it. Funds are limited, and I get the feeling you could option to death just about any system you wanted work on these days what with all the parts out there. Not taking anything away from you guys that have one, I'm just gonna draw the line on the short side of this option.

Thanks for the responses.