The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
TheSeeker

Best way to fix this?

Cutting off the rocker panels on my grandpas old 70. Found this on the drivers side and wondering what to do next. Jumped in to this too soon and now i am kicking myself. any help is appreciated. Looks Like i need new rockers (have both) inners, floor patches, maybe a bit of the kick panel and now an A pillar.
Attached Images

TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Best way to fix this?

Yep looks pretty normal. go search the paint and body section lots of good posts
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
67c10rustbuket

I am working on the same thing, lovely rust. i am using a complete floor edge piece that goes from firewall floor seam to the back wall/ cab corner. it has about 4" of floor and complete inner rocker. it also has the floor support to pillar bolt holes in it (for ease of alignment. i bought mine locally but same taiwan parts.

item #7 in the LMC diagram
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=25

im sure other people have pics of the whole process and some advice, anyone ?

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
TheSeeker

I guess my next stupid question is then...Am I supposed to remove those rusty bolts on each side. The ones holding the cab suport to the inner rocker? Also, If I remove the rest of this inner panel and the bottom of that rusty a pillar. Will I need a cab brace or will it not flex. Thanks guys new to the body side of things and this is harder than I thought
Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
MyDad'sTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
I am working on the same thing, lovely rust. i am using a complete floor edge piece that goes from firewall floor seam to the back wall/ cab corner. it has about 4" of floor and complete inner rocker. it also has the floor support to pillar bolt holes in it (for ease of alignment. i bought mine locally but same taiwan parts.

item #7 in the LMC diagram
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=25

im sure other people have pics of the whole process and some advice, anyone ?
have you fitted the part yet; I need exact same. wondering how it fit.
MyDad'sTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Fastfun

Check out this for your repair

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=rocker+101
Fastfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
not yet, i should have it in for a test fit within 2 weeks ill post a pic when i get it in there.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Check out this for your repair
fastfun thats an excellent thread for this job! thanks. i did a search and found a few others but not as good as that one.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
67c10rustbuket

Yes remove the rusty bolts holding whats left of the floor to the cab floor support. From what i have read from other threads you do not have to brace it unless the (outrigger?) front to rear floor support ( what the side to side supports are attached to) are rotted. or if you are removing the roof for chop or replacement.
I removed the rocker and the inner came off with it, it was rusted off behind where the door weatherseal was. then i measured where the floor edge repair panel would reach to and cut it rough within about 1/2" of where the floor edge repair piece should line up to. then i placed the new A pillar over the existing rotted pillar and marked it and cut it out just below the 2 upper bolt holes of the lower hinge mount and shaved a little off the replacement pillar to line it up. be carefull not to cut through the lower hinge mount cage nut thingy and if you can try to preserve the lower part of the cage that is spotwelded to the A pillar just under the lower bolt hole of the hinge. you will need to reattach that to the new A pillar. then i cut out part of the existing kick panel and placed the repair kick panel over it to mark and cut out the remaining existing kick panel then again test fit the A pillar with the kick panel in place and then test fit the rocker with those pieces held in place with sheet metal screws. now i am at the point where i just drilled out the spotwelds holding the cab corner to the rear pillar bottom (B pillar??) and i need to order the lower B? pillar to finish test fitting, cut an exact line for the floor edge repair panel and weld it all into place. heres a few pics of what ive done so far hope these help you out .
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
67c10rustbuket

It definately gets a little scary after you first look at it and think "its not that bad" then every piece behind the one you remove is worse than the one before it. just take your time and don't get overwhelmed its only metal.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
It definately gets a little scary after you first look at it and think "its not that bad" then every piece behind the one you remove is worse than the one before it. just take your time and don't get overwhelmed its only metal.
Or what's left of it.

Good way to think about it. Got to just go for it.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
67c10rustbuket

any progress ?

Old 05-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
TheSeeker

Not much, Little by little. Im having a bear of a time getting all this done..Ive got the panels bought and marked where to cut, and ive got almost all the drivers side rusty areas out and cleaned up. Going to put aside some time to get out there and go for it. Im terrible at this..Oh ya ill post pictures a little bit later. Thanks
Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
treveiger

saving
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Billhilly

Take lots of measurements. I mean lots!
New parts don't just slip back in. It will need some massaging. Some more pics here (starts bottom of the page) - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=217490&page=4
I used that same 'item #7' as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDad'sTruck View Post
i finally got that floor edge panel fitted up today, of course the flanges on the ends need to be bent in a few degrees and the front flange is a little too long so i need to snip it down a little to lay flush on the firewall/floor flange. the only real problem i have with it is the holes don't line up to the floor supports, the front has all 4 holes punched out but that leaves the little grove across the front not lining up and the radius of the hump by the front of the seat mount not to mention the gap to the firewall so i lined up the rear cab support hole ,( only has one punched not two ? anyway with a large bolt shoved in the rear cab floor support hole everything looks pretty happy except the holes for the front cab floor support. The front holes are off .375 ish , thats 3/8 for you fraction people. i am thinking what to do to it now , either slot the 4 large holes .375" or snip a strip out of the panel and weld it back so the holes all line up . lots of head scratching going on here .....

Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
freakshow108

Quote:
i finally got that floor edge panel fitted up today, of course the flanges on the ends need to be bent in a few degrees and the front flange is a little too long so i need to snip it down a little to lay flush on the firewall/floor flange. the only real problem i have with it is the holes don't line up to the floor supports, the front has all 4 holes punched out but that leaves the little grove across the front not lining up and the radius of the hump by the front of the seat mount not to mention the gap to the firewall so i lined up the rear cab support hole ,( only has one punched not two ? anyway with a large bolt shoved in the rear cab floor support hole everything looks pretty happy except the holes for the front cab floor support. The front holes are off .375 ish , thats 3/8 for you fraction people. i am thinking what to do to it now , either slot the 4 large holes .375" or snip a strip out of the panel and weld it back so the holes all line up . lots of head scratching going on here .....
Im almost done with both sides of my cab, with basically the same issues you have had. Dont sweat the small stuff, its only metal, you can always cut,tweak, grind, use filler and at last resort a very large hammer to fix anything that isnt 100% perfect. The main thing is to keep plugging away even if it is only an hour a day,night! You are doing all of the right steps, dont worry if you trip up a few times, we always learn from our mistakes. Keep the updates and pics coming.
freakshow108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #18
67c10rustbuket

any updates for us seeker ?
Thanks freakshow im just working a little at a time trying to do it right with alot of thinking and measuring before welding . I have my rear pillar from LMC since the local shop doesnt have that one piece. cut out the cab corner, bought a big sand/media blaster since my chinese siphon gun crapped out , some black diamond media, a mig conversion kit for my hobart handler 125 and a 3M respirator. It is definately a good idea to buy rust free for all you newbies since i could buy another truck with the $ i have in rust repair and im only about halfway in financially for the rust repair. I snipped the difference out of the outer floor edge today now i just need to cut the remaining bad section out of the floor and trim my floor pan to fit , then media blast it and triple check the fitament of everything before putting it all together and welding it in. I really should start my own build thread soon but the work and family leaves little time for the truck and the wife loves to occupy the macbook... later

Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
TheSeeker

Yea, I havent been working on the truck as much as Id [I]Like[I] to have been but I am getting there I have cut out all the bad panels and have test fit both inner rockers and outers, the kick panels and A pillars, Everything lines up failry well, but needs some tweaking. Ill post pics of my progress tonight after work, but It looks 1000 times better than I thought it would, and its nice to know that theres some solid metal there now hahaha. Thanks guys.-Seek