The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
navysnipe

Rear Brakes....again

I know that this subject has been brought up ALOT. But there seems to be a problem with parts stores identifying the rear brake set up for alot of the 3/4 ton trucks. The C10's not so much. I have two trucks that I am making into one good truck. The first one is a 70 C20 from my Dad that I will use all the sheet metal from. The second one is a 72 K2500 GMC from my Uncle that I am using the Drive train and frame from. So far I have restored the frame, engine, sm465 (pain in the arse changine the mainshaft), NP205, dana 44 and dana 60 with Power LOK. I have searched the forum for pictures of the different rear brakes that came with my truck and there seems to be three. The 11 inch and some change, the 12 inch and the 13 inch. I definitely don't have the 13 inch. I am pretty sure I have the 12 inch rear drums but it seems like that is the only set of springs you can not get from the parts stores (NAPA, Advance and PEP boys). I would like a picture of all three so I can compare them with each other. Anyone know where there is a picture of all three set ups? The brakes are Identical on both of my trucks except for the stud sizes. Both have Dana 60's and have leaf springs. In the pictures they have at the stores It looks like you can piece together a kit that will work on my truck but I don't want to have a bunch of extra junk laying around. Also the brake adjuster lever does not seem to be available for my truck any ideas?
Attached Images

navysnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Beat68CST

Re: Rear Brakes....again

The 11" and some change ones are what I have.

you can get a drum from Napa with a casting number of 712025, I forget the manufacturer, but it's only like .100" or .200" shallower than a stocker
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
navysnipe

Re: Rear Brakes....again

I picked up the shoes from NAPA today and I definitely have the 12 inch drums. Like I said that seems like the only option you can't get the spring set for. Any body know where I can get them or do I have to buy both sets and piece a set together and hope for the best? The hold down nails and springs are not a problem but all the others don't seem to match the other kits.

Thanks

Navysnipe
navysnipe is offline   Reply With Quote