The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
flashed

Power Drum Brakes On A 64 Short Fleet

Im considering taking a 64 short fleetside truck in partial trade for my 55 Bel Air .The truck has manual drum brakes all around ,how would I convert it to power drum brakes .If I get this truck I plan to drive it a while to see if its a keeper or sell it after my 72 short fleet is out of restoration but would like to be able to stop it better.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Power Drum Brakes On A 64 Short Fleet

There are a few ways. 1) you can go with an original style booster, but I think the 'wedge' is a little hard to find. 2)You can go with aftermarket booster from suppliers such as CPP, ECE, etc. 3) you can buy the booster bracket that I sell and use either a wrecking yard booster, or a new/rebuilt unit from your local auto parts supplier.

Are you wanting to convert to a dual reservior master at the same time? It really is pretty easy and inexpensive to convert to front disc brakes using OEM parts, and well worth the effort and $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Im considering taking a 64 short fleetside truck in partial trade for my 55 Bel Air .The truck has manual drum brakes all around ,how would I convert it to power drum brakes .If I get this truck I plan to drive it a while to see if its a keeper or sell it after my 72 short fleet is out of restoration but would like to be able to stop it better.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 05-10-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
flashed

If I get this truck all I plan on to start is the booster and master cylinder swap if that will work but what would it cost to put power disc on it as well ? Not sure if this truck will be a keeper or not but power disc might be a good selling option later down the road.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
blackmopar

very popular mod - bunch of threads around here - start in the FAQ sticky at the top of our board. a 73-87 swap is popular but theres also a bunch of aftermarket options too
blackmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Cost would depend on what you can get a '73-'87 C10 front suspension for. Or at least the spindles and everything attacked to it, as well as the steering linkage, power steering box, master cylinder and prop valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
If I get this truck all I plan on to start is the booster and master cylinder swap if that will work but what would it cost to put power disc on it as well ? Not sure if this truck will be a keeper or not but power disc might be a good selling option later down the road.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote