The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
blueboykennels

Serpentine Conversion

Okay I've found a 68 SWB that I'm probably going to pick up. My question is on the Serpentine Conversion, I understand that a mid 90's model S10 will use the parts that I will need. Also need to pick up the fan from the S10 as it will be in reverse. My question is one the reverse water pump, can I just use the water pump off of the S10? Will it fit? What about the P/S and the Altenator? Will those bolt up to the 350 block in the 68?
This truck's body is in good shape and runs well and I'm only looking at having to replace one small rust spot in the bed. Other than that very solid truck. But I will have to do the Serpentine conversion and also disc brakes which I'll save those questions for later. The guy will let me have the truck for $2500. Is that a good price?

There is another truck for sale that's $3500, Serpentine Belt already converted and disc brake conversion completed but it has some rust. The dash has a hole about the size of my fist and the rockers are gone. Which truck would you guys go with?

The first truck has a Muncie 4 speed that the guy put in.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm super stoked about this build and looking forward to learning all I can from you Veterans on the board.

Thanks
blueboykennels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Serpentine Conversion

The GM Serpentine system is a nice conversion for these trucks. In addition to the S10 the late 80s - mid 90s C and K 1500s are also the same and will work. You need a reverse flow water pump. Pick out a year of the donor and use that year and model for replacement parts, like belts, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, idler pulley and bearings, etc. Best to find a complete donor from a wrecking yard or a friend and get all parts. The upper and lower radiator hose can be tricky. Several members have do this and I'm sure will weigh in.

Additionally, Car Craft did this conversion, very good article, link: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ive/index.html

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
vasquezmrysvll
"the other guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
The GM Serpentine system is a nice conversion for these trucks. In addition to the S10 the late 80s - mid 90s C and K 1500s are also the same and will work. You need a reverse flow water pump. Pick out a year of the donor and use that year and model for replacement parts, like belts, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, idler pulley and bearings, etc. Best to find a complete donor from a wrecking yard or a friend and get all parts. The upper and lower radiator hose can be tricky. Several members have do this and I'm sure will weigh in.

Additionally, Car Craft did this conversion, very good article, link: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ive/index.html
its not a "reverse flow water pump" its reverse rotation. the reverse flow was a feature of the LT1/LT4. just get a pump spec to a early 90's pickup.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Lee H

I stand corrected.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
blueboykennels

So do I use the Alternator and water pump off of the donor car or just the brackets? If I have to order the reverse rotation water pump would I order one for the 68 c10 or the donor car?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
vasquezmrysvll
"the other guy"

you will need a pump that was used with the serp setup. the alt. will require you to perform the internal reg. alt conversion. its pretty easy to do. i did the swap,and it works great. also, you may need to go to a elec. fan setup, due to clearance between the w/p and your radiator.

Last edited by vasquezmrysvll; 05-10-2011 at 03:18 PM.
vasquezmrysvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
blueboykennels

Okay just to make sure I understand (please excuse my ignorance) I will need a water pump for the make and model of the donor car (some s10 probably) but in reverse rotation?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboykennels View Post
Okay just to make sure I understand (please excuse my ignorance) I will need a water pump for the make and model of the donor car (some s10 probably) but in reverse rotation?
Just get a water pump for whatever vehicle the brackets come off of. It will already be reverse rotation.

I would also advise junking the CS130 alternator that was used on all of these and upgrading to a much more reliable CS144. There is plenty of swap info out there. It uses the same plug in, so it's a pretty simple upgrade.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
blueboykennels

Perfect guys I think I got it! Thanks alot for the replies and info.