The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
chevymadness

help guys trying to lift 2x4 myself

Im trying to find out how to lift my 4x2 myself im tired of rough country not selling lifts for a 4x2s and leaving us customers out.I dont want to buy a lift from someone so im going to build it myself buying package lifts are expensive anyway.I already have shocks on my stock high truck.I have freinds that can install the lift that i build so m guessing i need coil springs blocks and maybe joints idk.I know 4x2s suck but i just baught this truck months ago and getting it all redone im going to convert it to a 4x4 in the comming months.So for now im doing this help me out guys so i can start pricing around for parts at junk yards locally etc.And please dont give me lecturing cause i know im crazy by doing this but you got to do what you got to do.

HELP ME LIFT THIS TRUCK 6 INCHES!

i like this sick setup right here im ordering the 35s
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...al951Toyo3.jpg

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.

Last edited by chevymadness; 05-10-2011 at 10:41 PM.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Re: help guys trying to lift 2x4 myself

save your money and either swap bodies onto a 4wd or do a conversion.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Redcap

Save your money for when you convert to 4wd. Lifted 2wd trucks look stupid.
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
lukefalls

I like how you're thinking, but I gotta' say, good luck.

There is a reason that there aren't many 2wd lift kits out there. Due to the many details and general use of lifted 2wd trucks, they are expensive. There is a substantial amount of other considerations...

Steering:
you've got a ton of moving parts that need to be addressed. Many of which are not meant to operate at the increased angles, not to mention the load that will be placed on them.

Suspension:
it was only designed to operate under a specific given geometry. Again, stretching the geometry will wear things out so much faster.
Fabtech used to make a kit (they may still) but it kept breaking ball joints and upper arms. I think that re-engineered it differently.

Unless you can cast some taller knuckles or find similar ones from another application AND drop the lower control arm, you going to have some really crazy geometry. Again, see the above.

That being said, you can use a very reliable coil spring compressor and install a shim, but you're still back to crazy geometry. Then you front trac width will be narrower, which will definitely affect on road performance in a negative way (I'll explain in detail if you need).

I hope this helps
lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Pop's C-10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447061

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=prerunner
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
lukefalls

Those are both freakin' awesome, but they're not 6" of lift.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Like i said don't waste your time or money on it in 2wd if you want to lift it. Get a 4wd frame and axles and swap them. Way easier and done right. The 2wd in 73-87 dont have the strongest frames and the wacky geometry of lifting a 2wd will cause cracks. I am telling you from personal experience. I had a 82 C30 and lifted it only to screw it WAY up doing so. Sold it and got a k10 and its way better.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
85_C10_Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefalls View Post
Those are both freakin' awesome, but they're not 6" of lift.
hey thanks! Bottom link is my build ;]

If you want a huge lift and little to no performance offroad... do yourself a favor and sell the 2wd. Mine handles great offroad, but its not one of those disco trucks you see running around with 2 ft body lifts and 22" chrome wheels with low profile offroad tires..

If your looking for a prerunner, go ahead and pm me i can point you in the right direction, ifyour looking for just a huge lift, i cant help you.
305ci - 700r4 - 10 bolt - 3:08 gears
Collecting parts for a 'mild prerunner"
85_C10_Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
chevymadness

Last edited by chevymadness; 05-11-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #10
chevymadness

Quote:
I like how you're thinking, but I gotta' say, good luck.

There is a reason that there aren't many 2wd lift kits out there. Due to the many details and general use of lifted 2wd trucks, they are expensive. There is a substantial amount of other considerations...

Steering:
you've got a ton of moving parts that need to be addressed. Many of which are not meant to operate at the increased angles, not to mention the load that will be placed on them.

Suspension:
it was only designed to operate under a specific given geometry. Again, stretching the geometry will wear things out so much faster.
Fabtech used to make a kit (they may still) but it kept breaking ball joints and upper arms. I think that re-engineered it differently.

Unless you can cast some taller knuckles or find similar ones from another application AND drop the lower control arm, you going to have some really crazy geometry. Again, see the above.

That being said, you can use a very reliable coil spring compressor and install a shim, but you're still back to crazy geometry. Then you front trac width will be narrower, which will definitely affect on road performance in a negative way (I'll explain in detail if you need).

I hope this helps
Thanks alot thats what i was looking for details on this project and serious things to think over.Its not as simple as just putting bigger springs and coils like i thaught and people told me.After all it is a different frame and thats a let down to me that it is dimensionally different and also weaker thats lame.But i got expert mechanics all around me down here so im determined if its worth it and i think it is.If you think about it even if i do a 4x4 conversion more or less im going to do this stuff anyway.Idk why people are so judgemental when it comes to doing this.I can make the frame stronger i mean what am i not going to do now that im going to later on with the conversion anyway.So in a way im already converting it.What i need to know is how is the 2x4 frame different and strong.Im understanding that the joints and knuckles etc are different only because my front end is different so ill just get a front end but if i do that.Would i have to change anymore parts like the transmission or anything major cause i dont have alot of money.I need to know more thanks alot

Last edited by chevymadness; 05-11-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
lukefalls

I think that you could convert your truck to 4wd for about $500 +/-. Do some clever shopping and you'd be there.

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=120
$165

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=137
$15

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/FUSH.htm
$160

Now, all you need is a set of junk yard 52" rear springs to use on the front of your truck. I bought mine from Craigslist for $15.

Find a divorced NP205 (I still see them in junk yards). You could find any used trans with a transfer case behind it, but a divorced 205 may be cheaper. I found one for $75 is good shape.

Find a 10 Bolt/Dana 44 front. Actually, a junk yard may be the most expensive place to find one. Search craigslist.com. I just found this. I don't know if its even a front or not.
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/pts/2322137344.html

Find a used drag link. Or build one
http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/1.25x....3163/3217/3707
$85

HEY, I JUST FOUND THIS:
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/pts/2364773428.html
It's got almost everything you'd need.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #12
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
Like i said don't waste your time or money on it in 2wd if you want to lift it. Get a 4wd frame and axles and swap them. Way easier and done right. The 2wd in 73-87 dont have the strongest frames and the wacky geometry of lifting a 2wd will cause cracks. I am telling you from personal experience. I had a 82 C30 and lifted it only to screw it WAY up doing so. Sold it and got a k10 and its way better.
No why cant i make my frame stronger its cheaper and im going to get axles.will this take care of the geometry

Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
chevymadness

Quote:
I think that you could convert your truck to 4wd for about $500 +/-. Do some clever shopping and you'd be there.

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=120
$165

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=137
$15

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/FUSH.htm
$160

Now, all you need is a set of junk yard 52" rear springs to use on the front of your truck. I bought mine from Craigslist for $15.

Find a divorced NP205 (I still see them in junk yards). You could find any used trans with a transfer case behind it, but a divorced 205 may be cheaper. I found one for $75 is good shape.

Find a 10 Bolt/Dana 44 front. Actually, a junk yard may be the most expensive place to find one. Search craigslist.com. I just found this. I don't know if its even a front or not.
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/pts/2322137344.html

Find a used drag link. Or build one
http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/1.25x....3163/3217/3707
$85

HEY, I JUST FOUND THIS:
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/pts/2364773428.html
It's got almost everything you'd need.
Hey, thanks alot this is good stuff i like the 10 bolt yea craigslist is a great place thats actually where i got my truck lol

Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Redcap

Just get a 4x4 frame/running gear and throw your body onto it. Easier and cheaper in the long run, and with FAR less potential to screw something up badly.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
csb#356

I'm not trying to down on your project or anything here but I am confused. You said you're going to convert it to a 4x4 in a couple months so why not just wait until then to lift it. Because if you lift it now while its a 2wd then none of the stuff that you use is going to work when theres an axle underneath the front. Right?
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb#356 View Post
I'm not trying to down on your project or anything here but I am confused. You said you're going to convert it to a 4x4 in a couple months so why not just wait until then to lift it. Because if you lift it now while its a 2wd then none of the stuff that you use is going to work when theres an axle underneath the front. Right?
lo,l sorry should of updated but no i thaught i was going to convert later.But im going to do it now.I cant even lift the truck with out screwing it up on a 2x4 so im going to reinforce my old frame and make conversions now for a 6 inch lift.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #17
mudmizer

I don't think you'll ever get the anwser here that you want to read. Send us a picture when it is on the wrecker, after you have a wreck and I hope no one kets killed.

Good luck, and get a 4x4 to start with, you'll be much happer and the truck will safely do what you want from it.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #18
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymadness View Post
lo,l sorry should of updated but no i thaught i was going to convert later.But im going to do it now.I cant even lift the truck with out screwing it up on a 2x4 so im going to reinforce my old frame and make conversions now for a 6 inch lift.
I'll say it one more time. Get a 4x4 frame and running gear. Throw a 6" lift on it. Then put that pretty decent looking truck body you have on the 4x4 frame. They are plentiful and usually fairly cheap on Craigslist...enough so that converting a 2WD frame is entirely pointless.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #19
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
I'll say it one more time. Get a 4x4 frame and running gear. Throw a 6" lift on it. Then put that pretty decent looking truck body you have on the 4x4 frame. They are plentiful and usually fairly cheap on Craigslist...enough so that converting a 2WD frame is entirely pointless.
Its going to cost more or less the same if not cost me money that i dont have for a donor i know what im doing is pointless but theres a difference between doing something that is "pointless" and not doing anything at all .But i dont have a choice here in el paso we dont have many chevys specially since i live on the border there used as mules here and shipped off.It took me months to find a daym truck that i have now.I dont have no donors here.I know what your saying but since im so fortunate im royally screwed on this one.I have to use what i got.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #20
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmizer View Post
I don't think you'll ever get the anwser here that you want to read. Send us a picture when it is on the wrecker, after you have a wreck and I hope no one kets killed.

Good luck, and get a 4x4 to start with, you'll be much happer and the truck will safely do what you want from it.
oh wow i thaught you where going to say "pointless" gosh i was holding my breath on that one.Like so many people like to say but i guess i have to show you pointless guys the truck lifted in the next month.Ill post pics

Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
Redcap

I'm done.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #22
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post

I'm done.
figures