The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
realsteelGM

Edelbrock calibration kits

Does anyone have any good success with calibration kits on carbs?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
gonnuts

Re: Edelbrock calibration kits

No, the needles I needed to richen it up a little wasn't in the kit, one of the needles had no stamp at all on it I had to use a micrometer to figure out what it was. My carb is a 1805 & wasn't even in the book there was just a single sheet of paper stuck in the middle of the book for my carb. It was a waste of money in my case.
gonnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
MrBlue

We have a 1406 carb. Bought a kit from Summit. We were running too rich. Changing the jets, needles, and springs made a big difference.
MrBlue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
custom1970

I had a Edelbrock #9913-1411 performer series 750, ran way to rich on my 400BB (with Edelbrock heads & intake) Could not get it run right. was way to rich, tried smaller jets, rods..., called their tech guys, while helpful, nothing helped. Put my Holley 750 dbl pumper back on and truck ran perfect! Talked to other guys that that have had similiar issues. I like their other parts, just not the carbs.
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
realsteelGM

I found that stepping down two stages and an 8% lean setting smartened up my 1403 carb. in it's rich mode. Still not exactly perfect, but saving a whole lot of fuel going out the tail pipe. Some guys tell me it's better to run on the rich side, yet not a good idea for cylinder wash down.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
chevykevy

The best advice I can give is to do your homework in the Edelbrock Calibration Section( Owners Manual) . I live at 6500 ft. above sea level and often drive between 3500 and 10,000 feet. I have the 1406. The calibration kit does not have the jet and rod combinations to fit my needs so I purchased the combination I needed seperately. The kit would not have worked for me.

I would suggest, like I did, talking to a bunch of folks in your area about what combination they are running, taking into consideraton the differences in engine displacement and upgrades, and see if the kit will actually work for you.

As I said earlier, it wouldn't be worth it to me under my circumstances but it may be worth it to you.
chevykevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
realsteelGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevykevy View Post
The best advice I can give is to do your homework in the Edelbrock Calibration Section( Owners Manual) . I live at 6500 ft. above sea level and often drive between 3500 and 10,000 feet. I have the 1406. The calibration kit does not have the jet and rod combinations to fit my needs so I purchased the combination I needed seperately. The kit would not have worked for me.

I would suggest, like I did, talking to a bunch of folks in your area about what combination they are running, taking into consideraton the differences in engine displacement and upgrades, and see if the kit will actually work for you.

As I said earlier, it wouldn't be worth it to me under my circumstances but it may be worth it to you.
I live about 1500 ft above sea level, that aspect of calibration isn't so much a factor here. It is more an availability of service and product, I live next to alaska. I agree in terms of the kit, I really need a different metering rod combination to get the air/fuel ratio just right at the proper step ups.