The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
BoredJoe

I want to upgrade my headlights in my 83

Hey everyone ive been looking around for a kit or some way of upgrading my headlights in my 83 c10 but im not sure where to get a quality kit. I like the HID look but i dont want to be blinding oncoming drivers without the proper cutoff so is there another option? Thanks for the help, some links would be nice or some pictures of some upgraded lights in your trucks. This is one of my things on the list of fixing this truck up, ive done alot but still alot to go.

Before Not bad for $600 with a nice running 305 lol

After

Last edited by BoredJoe; 05-13-2011 at 12:20 AM.
BoredJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
cfan10

Re: I want to upgrade my headlights in my 83

I picked up some decent ones from autozone, they have a white hue. Looks good.
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
muthstryker

Lmctruck.com

Part Number: 36-0282

And these bulbs

http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-9000.html I believe the headlights use bulb 9007 (HB5)

Very nice upgrade from the sealed beam headlights, not to mention brighter.

Last edited by muthstryker; 05-13-2011 at 01:12 AM.
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you plan to keep the single headlight, the best option would be a replacement bulb. I would look at OSRAM SYLVANIA - SilverStar .I have had great results with all of their products I have used.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
BoredJoe

Thanks guys I'm posting from my phone but will look at lmc for those headlights when I can get on a computer. I bought a light from autozone and it was better than stock but still not What I'm wanting I want the lights to look like the ones on new cars and trucks now. N2trx since the bulb is sealed how can I change the bulb? Is it just another sealed bulb just brighter? Thanks again still looking for that hid look though lol
Posted via Mobile Device
BoredJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredJoe View Post
Thanks guys I'm posting from my phone but will look at lmc for those headlights when I can get on a computer. I bought a light from autozone and it was better than stock but still not What I'm wanting I want the lights to look like the ones on new cars and trucks now. N2trx since the bulb is sealed how can I change the bulb? Is it just another sealed bulb just brighter? Thanks again still looking for that hid look though lol
Posted via Mobile Device

want the lights to look like the ones on new cars and trucks now.

those lights use starters and capacittors and starters yadda yaddah yaddah and CANNOT be used is a standard or halogen housing, they will shake, cast light 180 degrees and eventually overheat and burn up.

since the bulb is sealed how can I change the bulb?

you cant. u need housings and bulbs.

if u go and install hids in standard/halogen housings u will b one of those &*^%&*%) people who blind everyone yet cant see the road. hids need to be double reflected into an intense focus, unlike standard filament or halogen bulbs.

ill tell u what i tell everyone, if u c a hid kit for 50bucks off craigs list, its too good to b true, spend the money once, spend it right, install it urself EXACTALLY as directions state.

good luck, hope that helps.

GOOGLE!!
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
SoCalKris

Simple answer is HID.
You dont need the cheap ones that blind everyone that is caused by cheap design. but you can get a set of good street legal HIDs for around 100.00- 130.00 that will llight up the road great. you just have to call around.
SoCalKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n View Post

ill tell u what i tell everyone, if u c a hid kit for 50bucks off craigs list, its too good to b true, spend the money once, spend it right, install it urself EXACTALLY as directions state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKris View Post
Simple answer is HID.
You dont need the cheap ones that blind everyone that is caused by cheap design. but you can get a set of good street legal HIDs for around 100.00- 130.00 that will llight up the road great. you just have to call around.
HIDs, No Matter how much money you spend on the set WILL NOT WORK unless you have true projectors that have been retrofitted into a clear glass housing. You could go buy some 300$ HID set and if its not in a projector you will always blind people. The projectors produce a beam cut off, The passenger side light is aimed higher to look down the road further with the drivers side aimed down a little to keep from blinding people in on coming traffic. Unless you are very good at fab work you going to have to pay someone to retrofit projectors for you and your looking at big money.
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
tallcrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
HIDs, No Matter how much money you spend on the set WILL NOT WORK unless you have true projectors that have been retrofitted into a clear glass housing. You could go buy some 300$ HID set and if its not in a projector you will always blind people. The projectors produce a beam cut off, The passenger side light is aimed higher to look down the road further with the drivers side aimed down a little to keep from blinding people in on coming traffic. Unless you are very good at fab work you going to have to pay someone to retrofit projectors for you and your looking at big money.
I have a 91 Burb and I just went into the auto parts store and bought the factory replacement bulbs that are listed as bit brighter than Normal. ( I have to say after all these years of just headlights. The SOB's at Chevy changed the plug on back of the stock bulbs now. Specific for my year).
60.00 for all 4 bulbs and I am down the road with nice bright lights.
I looked at the other option someone was selling at Carlisle Swap Meet. Too much money to end up with the basic same thing.
I'm Happy with these lights. and I am not too bright where I am blinding people .
tallcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
83GMCK2500

E-Code lenses with a proper cut-off line and shielded H4 bulbs will not cast excess light up into the eyes of oncoming drivers or into the rearview mirrors of someone you are following.

I just added 4300K HIDs to my '83:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461906

EDIT: You do of course have to go through an aiming procedure to adjust them properly.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96

Last edited by 83GMCK2500; 05-15-2011 at 08:46 PM.
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote