The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Pass Emissions?

I'm literally about to buy an 88 K15 Suburban TBI 350. It isn't 25 years old, so it still technically needs emissions. I'd like to instal headers, 3" pipes straight to shorty race mufflers and dump it near the rear axle. How do I get around emissions or pass em or something! This is the newest vehicle I have ever owned. I'm not used to so many rules...

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

Re: Pass Emissions?

There's always the option of registering it in another state that doesn't require emission testing... I know there's a few states that let you do it as long as you have a "residence" (i.e. a post office box) there.
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #1
-357 / 700r4
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #2
-350 / TH350
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Pop's C-10

How do they test & has it passed before..aslong as it runs good & you add some quality cats. you good.
You may have to run a ext. pipe out tha side so they can stick tha prob in..also you can go down to a 2 1/2 & your stock motor will be happy..

You may have more headaches trying trying to get by it than jus doing it tha way it sould be done..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
lilpoindexter

In CA some manufacturers get an EO number, you put a sticker on the part or under the hood, that says it doesn't create more emissions, and you can still test...not sure if NC will accept the CARB EO part.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

just make it pass...run the tank down dump in 3 gallons of wood grain alchol from home depot retard the timing and let them test it..thats what we did in Conn for all our cars...My BB old passed for a V6...
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
There's always the option of registering it in another state that doesn't require emission testing... I know there's a few states that let you do it as long as you have a "residence" (i.e. a post office box) there.
Too much trouble to go through for just emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 View Post
How do they test & has it passed before..aslong as it runs good & you add some quality cats. you good.
You may have to run a ext. pipe out tha side so they can stick tha prob in..also you can go down to a 2 1/2 & your stock motor will be happy..

You may have more headaches trying trying to get by it than jus doing it tha way it sould be done..
I dont know how they test it around here, I know it has passed before, because it has a current inspection. I would never go down to 2.5", then the exhaust would be "popping" when on full throttle, like all of the idiots around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
In CA some manufacturers get an EO number, you put a sticker on the part or under the hood, that says it doesn't create more emissions, and you can still test...not sure if NC will accept the CARB EO part.
CARB is a California thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
just make it pass...run the tank down dump in 3 gallons of wood grain alchol from home depot retard the timing and let them test it..thats what we did in Conn for all our cars...My BB old passed for a V6...
I forgot that running on alky make it cleaner...time to buy some shine'.

Miss having a truck
Old 05-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
I'm literally about to buy an 88 K15 Suburban TBI 350. It isn't 25 years old, so it still technically needs emissions. I'd like to instal headers, 3" pipes straight to shorty race mufflers and dump it near the rear axle. How do I get around emissions or pass em or something! This is the newest vehicle I have ever owned. I'm not used to so many rules...
headman will ask if u have manifold inj or collector injection. as long as u get the eq sticker cops/smog cant do ne thing about it.....mufflers dont matter, nor where it dumps...

u can always give an extra franklin to look the other way, ahaha (not reccomended) but id just buy a 73-75 junkyard frame and do a swap. IF AND ONLY IF YOU PLAN TO KEEP THE TRUCK UNTIL THE DAY U DIE, WITH INSTRUCTIONS TO TORC UPON DEATH. ahahaha jk. dmv in everystate does not require frame #'s to reg.
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n View Post
headman will ask if u have manifold inj or collector injection. as long as u get the eq sticker cops/smog cant do ne thing about it.....mufflers dont matter, nor where it dumps...

u can always give an extra franklin to look the other way, ahaha (not reccomended) but id just buy a 73-75 junkyard frame and do a swap. IF AND ONLY IF YOU PLAN TO KEEP THE TRUCK UNTIL THE DAY U DIE, WITH INSTRUCTIONS TO TORC UPON DEATH. ahahaha jk. dmv in everystate does not require frame #'s to reg.
I know mufflers dont effect emissions, but cats do, I hate cats(both kinds). What is the eq sticker cops/smog? Also, swapping the fame does'nt matter, the body does, because of the VIN number, which determines the year.

Miss having a truck
Old 05-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
Altec
Getcha Pull

Does NC do diesel exemptions? In Maryland if you convert a vehicle to diesel, you no longer have to go through emissions testing...
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Diesels dont have emissions crap in NC.

Also, what would happen if I took off the smog pump?

Miss having a truck
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Zane M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Diesels dont have emissions crap in NC.

Also, what would happen if I took off the smog pump?
As long as everything is plugged off correctly, taking off the smog pump shouldn't be a problem. BUT, check you local emissions laws. Some areas have a "visual" inspection, where all the emissions equipment must be present.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
rayfinseats

IOWA has no inspections. Period. There are still almost no junkers running around. If it rolls it's legal. Most people still just drive new cars anyway... go figure.

Last edited by rayfinseats; 05-15-2011 at 10:10 PM.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

I just looked at the DMV website. I totally forgot about checking it. If it was made before 1996 it needs ONLY a safety inspection. YAY!

Headers, 3" pipes, race mufflers, no smog pump, HERE I COME!

Miss having a truck
Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Toxic Redline

lucky if i want to be emissions exempt i either have to spend 350 bucks on emissions controling devices with proof that i did so, or register my truck as a farm truck ( which i will porobably do cuz i live on a farm, and farms can have nice trucks too!!), the only vehicles that are exempt are the ones that were made before 1967 i hate Utahs dumbs rules
WHEN IN DOUBT--- FLOOR IT
Toxic Redline is offline   Reply With Quote