The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
forcedinduction

65 GMC Lowering Info Please

Hi Everyone, on Friday I got my new project... a 65 GMC long bed, wide side. Previously I had built up a 66 Chevy long bed, fleetside (same truck... mostly).

I would like to moderately lower it (no bags), but the parallel leaf springs in the rear have me questioning what the cheapest, easiest & quickest way to do it would be.

I'm thinking lowering shackles would probably do the trick, but I can't find them. Anyone know where I could pick some up? Also, what amount of drop do they offer? Anyone have before & after pics?

OR

Should I remove the springs, weld on new pads and put the axle above the springs? Again the same questions as above... How much does it lower it and could you post pics of before and after? I know blocks could be added later for more drop.

Thanks a bunch! All help is greatly appreciated.
forcedinduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
noxided

Re: 65 GMC Lowering Info Please

Flip kit, put axle on top of springs, best, cheapest and keeps factory parts. Also it will lower it the thickness of your axle, or leafs..... Im not sure im very sleepy right now

Last edited by noxided; 05-16-2011 at 01:02 AM.
noxided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
forcedinduction

Thanks for the support noxided. I went out and looked today and it seems the axle may end up pretty close to the frame rails if I do that. Is there anyone out there that has done this? Any GMC guys... anywhere?????? Did the frame need to be C'ed for clearance?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
gimmy 64

i put lowering shackles and i'am running just the 3 long leaf springs. i have not been able to find anybody that has flip kits for these trucks because the springs are 2and a quarter wide the newer trucks have 2 1/2 wide springs. alot of people sell lowering springs but they are kind of expensive at $400 bucks. also e.c.e sells the lowering shackles but you only get about 1-1 1/2 inches. here is a picture of mine about 3 inches lower
Attached Images

gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
noxided

if you have access to a welder, just cut out the part that needs to be notched and weld in a small piece of pipe that you can find at a scrap yard
noxided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
jmcdaniel

I just flipped my 70 swb factory leaf spring axle. i used new perches from jegs and welded them on the bottom of the axle and got the right pinion angle set. I also bought the new shackles from ECE and put them on but i also took the overload spring off of the bottom of the spring pack. i made the base plates from some 3/8" flat plate and drilled the holes using the old base plates as a template. next i went to oreilly's and got a lowering kit with the long u-bolts which also came with 1" blocks for $30. I haven't taken any pics yet but the truck is definitely alot lower than it was before. if you don't want to buy the ECE shackles yet the flip itself is definitely a 4-5" drop easy with the shackles. i ended up just using the holes in the shackles that lower an inch and i had to cut the bump stop off about 1 1/2" to have about that much clearance from the frame. i haven't decided if i'm going to notch the frame yet but i better decide quick while it is still easy to work on and modify because i have the fenders off of the stepside still. send me a PM if you want to know more. Holla.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
forcedinduction

Thanks for the info guys, it is much appreciated!