The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
firemanchuck
FightingFire Saving Lives

Clutch Pedal Noise Or Something Else???

HEY MY FELLOW CHEVY FANS GOT ANOTHER QUESTION FOR YA!

WHILE DRIVING I HERE A NOISE. THOUGHT IT WAS MY SPEEDO BUT WHEN I PRESS THE CLUTCH PEDAL IN NOT EVEN HALF WAY THE NOISE STOPS, SO I NOW KNOW IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE CLUTCH PEDAL.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT MAY BE? IS IT AN EASY FIX?

ANY SUGGESSTIONS SEND EM MY WAY PLEASE, IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

THANKS,
CHUCK
firemanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 09:50 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

From your brief description I would guess you have a bad throw out or Clutch release bearing.Same thing just different term.It requires removing the tranny to replace and while you're there you might as well do a clutch job unless you have plenty clutch left or just enjoy pulling the tranny.There are other things it could be but this is most likely in my experience.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

with the clutch up(assuming that its adjusted properly) the throwout bearing shouldnt be touching the press plate fingers. As a rule, I have seen a bad throwuot bearing make noise when you step on the clutch....no noise when its not used. Possibly you have a vibration, or rattle on the clutch linkage? There should be a spring from the clutch fork to the frame to hold to hold the fork foward, & it also keeps the bearing from touching the fingers on the press plate. Also, under the dash is a return spring for the peddle. I would check to see that both springs are in place. Good luck,crazyL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:11 PM   #4
Class of 69

Chuck, do you have any "free play" at the top of the pedal?? If no free play, you need to adjust the linkage to obtain about 3/4 inch. That may stop the noise, but it still may need a new throw out bearing. Check the adjustment first,could last a while longer if properly adjusted.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:44 AM   #5
gmc67swb

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY SLOP IN YOUR LINKAGE. MINE WAS MAKING A NOISE. I COULD PUT MY FOOT UNDER THE PEDAL AND PULL UP A LITTLE AND THE NOISE WOULD GO AWAY. OR I COULD PUT PEDAL PRESSURE WITH MY FOOT AND IT WOULD GO AWAY. I WAS MISSING A RETURN SPRING. THIS SOLVED MY PROBLEM. I WOULD CHECK THE EASY ONES LIKE THIS FIRST. HOPE YOU DON'T HAVE TO PULL THE TRANNY AND SWAP OUT THE THROW OUT BEARING.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:56 PM   #6
1969 GMC

My clutch made a noise like you describe, only when pushing in/letting out the pedal. All I had to do was grease the pivot (which is under the truck) and spray some WD-40 on the linkage, and the noise was gone.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote