The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
s_nova69

Learning more about Longhorns everyday.

So the trailer I found with the D60 did have 3.54 gears like I hoped. Yesterday I was well on my way to swapping out the rearends (4.56 original) when I found the Longhorn chassis rear spring hangers put the rear springs at a different width than the c20 spring hangers. So as you can imagine this changes the spring perch location on the rearend.
What do you do? I made the executive decision to take off the hangers on the longhorn and replace them with the ones from the c20. The springs are also 2-5/8" wide on the longhorn vs 2" wide on the c20. Arrrgh!!! I don't intend to haul super loads in the longhorn and so I figure the spring hangers from the c20 will be adequate. Now don't even think that the bolt pattern is the same cuz its not! So I have to drill at least 3 new holes on each side through that thick frame.
I have the old ones off the Longhorn and then the grinder I had (cheap harbor freight) died. I was not expecting that kind of problem to arrise. and of course my Milwauke grinder was 35 miles away!!!

So the reason for this is to share with others that have longhorns and are trying to do some changes. Its not that big of a problem but makes for a much longer process that I was not expecting.

In summary: the HD chassis of the Longhorn has many differneces from the c20 chassis. The rear spring hangers on the longhorn put the inside of the spring about 1.25" from the frame while the C20 hanger put the springs about 3" from the frame.
Attached Images

4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Learning more about Longhorns everyday.

The thing to rememberr, your longhorn is on a one ton frame. Regardless what the badge says, or what suspention is hanging from it, it's still a one ton frame.
I hope to be doing some mods on my suspention too... soon with any luck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote