The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Juniorjr

Sending unit wiring for LMC rear tank

I recently bought a rear mount tank for my 65 from LMC (big mistake)and I need to find the wire connector that snaps on the sending unit stud. The original tank unit had threads. Any ideas where to get one. Thanks
Juniorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
dracko

Re: Sending unit wiring for LMC rear tank

Can't help with your search. But why was LMC rear mount tank kit a big mistake? poor quality?
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Juniorjr

Well a combination of things. Poor quality, its very thin, the neck is only 1-3/8" diameter,too small for a fill hose. It mounts in the holes that are there just fine but the neck is right where the cross beam goes. I actually slid mine toward the back as far as it would go and drilled new holes. That way the filler hose clears, the vent line now is right at the cross beam but its small enough to get around it since you have to notch it the whole width frame rails to clear the tank. They should make the neck in the rear corner and make the tank 18 gallon instead of 21 so you dont have to trim the cross beam so it doesnt hit the tank or you can use some 2" spacers to so the tank sits 2" lower. They should also include a piece of hose and sending unit wiring. They sell it as a kit but you have to do alot and buy alot for the $200 "KIT" to work. I bought several other things as well. Mirrors look good but are cheaply made. Front fenders are paper thin. Wiper assembly ok and door handles and grill trim are ok. almost afraid to get carpet set now. I hate to bash them its just that I expected better quality for the money. I may have visit the junk yard to find the sending unit button. I took a male crimp on wire connector and tapped it down on the stud for now but need perminant solution. Thanks for the reply
Juniorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
old_1966_GMC

i know i aint shopping there any longer they also sended me a crappy buttom section fender panel i orderd
old_1966_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
dracko

Quote:
Well a combination of things. Poor quality, its very thin, the neck is only 1-3/8" diameter,too small for a fill hose. It mounts in the holes that are there just fine but the neck is right where the cross beam goes. I actually slid mine toward the back as far as it would go and drilled new holes. That way the filler hose clears, the vent line now is right at the cross beam but its small enough to get around it since you have to notch it the whole width frame rails to clear the tank. They should make the neck in the rear corner and make the tank 18 gallon instead of 21 so you dont have to trim the cross beam so it doesnt hit the tank or you can use some 2" spacers to so the tank sits 2" lower. They should also include a piece of hose and sending unit wiring. They sell it as a kit but you have to do alot and buy alot for the $200 "KIT" to work. I bought several other things as well. Mirrors look good but are cheaply made. Front fenders are paper thin. Wiper assembly ok and door handles and grill trim are ok. almost afraid to get carpet set now. I hate to bash them its just that I expected better quality for the money. I may have visit the junk yard to find the sending unit button. I took a male crimp on wire connector and tapped it down on the stud for now but need perminant solution. Thanks for the reply
Great info! I'm on the brink of ordering up a ton of stuff for my 64 and am still pondering on what to order from where. Good to hear an actual review of their products, that isn't written in a magazine they likely help fund....or outright own. Might see if I can find an old Blazer gas tank that isn't too rusty and go that route for the tank swap. From the sounds of things it won't be too much more work than going with LMC.

My search for decent rear half fender panels continues.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Check out the "Review Board" guys: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=26

If you look in the "Bad Deals" sub-forum you can learn from others misfortunes.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote