The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
chevylookin

Another straight six question...

So I have the lead to a factory power steering kit for L6 230. When I get the engine back from being rebuilt I want to add the power steering with 3 x 1 Offy intake. Will it all fit together with linkage and all?
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Another straight six question...

I have a 4 barrel Offy intake on the 292 L6 in my '68 C/10 Stepside. [Clifford headers, Edel 1404 -500 CFM].
The Z-bar and clutch linkage don't interfere with the manifolds, if that's what you meant...
Or do you mean the throttle linkage? '67 and '68 the gas pedal moves an arm in the engine bay, linked to a threaded rod, with a bellcrank to transfer the accelerator pedal thrust 90* to the carb throttle. The Offy I have has no provision for the bellcrank set up. For years I had a homemade bellcrank and rod configuration that pivoted off an angle iron bolted to one of the carb studs. It never gave me WOT and broke or jammed on occasion. [Usually when you least needed a delay.] I solved the problem with a throttle cable and a modified '72 accelerator pedal assembly.
Now it's easy since there is an aftermarket company making cable-style throttle-to-gas- pedal accelerator assemblies.

The power steering brackets I've seen [for the 292] bolt into some holes in the head on the drivers side.
I think the 230 and 250 are the same size block -- if I'm not mistaken-- so the 250 P/S bracket should work. But I'm not the L6-P/S expert, since I have manual steering on my six.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 05-22-2011 at 05:42 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
chevylookin

Thanks 68Orange. Interesting input on your 292. I would like to pick one up someday. I love messing with the straight sixes of this era. They are really sleeping monsters. I was a little vague in my description of what Im really after though. I am having a donor 230 mildly built and i want to add the Offenhauser 3 by 1 barrel Rochester intake. This set up comes with progressive linkage. There is a guy selling the complete factory kit for $515. A little pricey but not really when you think about it. There is also another guy selling his own fabbed up PS bracket (item # 320703655961). He says that this bracket will not work with 3 x 1 intake because the foremost linkage assembly will occupy the same space as the pump. I want the 3 x 1 with PS. Im wondering if anyone has done this with the factory bracket, had any success or failure. Thanks guys...
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Well good luck with that. You might querry over at:
www.inliners.org
Inliners International's site has a lot more experienced L6 operators over there. No doubt someone there has been-there-and-done-that already.
Personally, I have enough problems synchronizing one 4-bbl carb, let alone 3.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote