The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
wilberweb

Camaro IFS problem

Hi, Guys
I just picked up this 70 Camaro front clip from a friend.
I was looking for a clip that has the narrower front section and what I got was the five mile an hour style clip witch I didn't want but my friend said they are all the same and they are not all the same. but since I haven't a way to get another clip I took this one hoping to make it work. Does any one have any Idea on modifying the front bumper part to match up to the 55 bumper? as you can see from the pictures the front section is a lot wider on this year of camaro
than what I am seeing all of the modifications in this forum. but the section where it attaches to the frame is all the same. any help would be greatly appreciated.

here are some pictures.to show what I am up against

-Larry
Attached Images

wilberweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
jjjmm56

Re: Camaro IFS problem

No problem thats the clip you want . Same one I have on my 56. When I went to cut the front section I assembled the dog house, mounted and aligned to the doors, then marked for my rad support, and fabbed on the fly from there.
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
wilberweb

Hi,jjjmm56

Thanks for the reply.
Do you have pictures of your project? on the front section at the bumper support how did you get that section tied in, did you slice the front section see where that section is flared it makes a steep incline like a bell shape and on some of the forums I see some camaro clips are flatter in that section. my Idea is to slice in down and flatten that section out a bit to make a gradual transition and more level with the rear part of the frame.so its matches a little better.I was concerned because it didn't look like the other clips I have seen in this forum.

-Larry
Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Red Foreman

Yeh it does look a little different in the front than mine being a 77 clip but most of that will be cut off so it will work.
It all depends on how your grafting the clip in which will determine the position of the front frame horns, ie...if your splicing it in parallel your frame horns will be pretty level, or on the other hand slide the the clip staight under & you will find the horns needing to be considerably lower.

So like JJJmm56 said to "fab on the fly" is correct & probably the last bit fab work that needs to be done.
Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Indian113

try these
Attached Images

Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
wilberweb

thanks Red foreman, Indian 113
I agree most will be cut off. my clip is going inside the frame. as you can see on Indians pictures his Camaro is a lot leveler at the bumper end,the one I have isn't I need to cut the one I have to bring it level in the front section so I can get a level on it and my fender section will match up correctly. its just a lot more slicing.I am not totally sure on why they made this camaro like this it must be a strange looking front. but I can make it work all I need to do is level the rear portion and weld a plate to the sides and get my level. where I am going to slice it then weld it in place remove the welded section slice and dice where I need too.I like the camaro that I don't need to modify this extreme.

-Larry
Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
tmoble

AFAIK all the 70-81 Camaro subframes are about the same. I'd guess that silver one pictured looked just like yours before it was modified. My sub is out of a 72 and it looked about like yours. You need to plate over the open end to get the strength back around the steering box mount.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Red Foreman

Indian 113 loves teasing us with that picture that kinda finish is benchmark quality!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Indian113

I wish I could take the credit for it! That is as I've said before the WORK of a friend of mine,I couldn't do anything as neat as that.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
wilberweb

tmobil,
I wasn't sure what camaro front I had it looked different that what is featured on a lot of the forums,I wanted to make sure before I started cutting. I will need to modify the bumper section. At least I know that the camaro is the same. that gives me some peace of mind. I can make the front section work out its the rear portion that makes the real difference. Indian 113 has a sweet frame I want to get my frame looking that good. That's the plan.

-Larry
Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
tmoble

I cut the subframe off even with the bottom of the frame, plated over the resulting hole. Frame is plated on the inside where it meets the sub, plate about a foot long.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #12
mr48chev

This thread on the HAMB is one that has become somewhat of a standard go to for doing a subframe swap on the Task Force trucks. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978
Page 4 has info on trimming the front of the frame horns.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
55metalmonkey

I still love that frame pic, so helpfull. mine is 2 days away from being sandblated and then I get it back so I can paint it. hope it turns out that good.

As for the horns, pretty much everything forward of the steering box end can be modified without affecting too much you might have to be a bit creative / different with the bumper and rad support mounts but other than that it should be fine
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
wilberweb

55metalmonkey
that's what I figured I have the Hamb forum bookmarked so I can look back on and get some pointers. I haven't looked through all of the post I didn't notice any measurements
like where most people cut I have a few measurements I took I know that the cab mount frame its 28" to the center of the axle. and 11" in back of that is where most guys cut there frame. I also here that the camaro center line is at the shock mount and not the ball joint. things like that information would be great.

-Larry
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
HiRMKin

This is what I did on my 58 chevy. My clip was from a 1980 camaro. I basically trimmed the bulge out and tried to make it as straight as possible. I still need to do some more fitting and trimming
Attached Images

HiRMKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
tmoble

HiRMKin,

You really kicked butt all over the place there. smooth move with that jig to hold the core support mounts in place. My own job would have been massively neater, cleaner and faster had I done that.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
wilberweb

HiRMKin,
That looks great,It looks like you got a hold of some frame stock. for the front bumper horns. see how your frame is flat on top and makes that jog out like a s shape and then goes strait to the bumper if you look at my clip you will see that my clip goes extreme flare so I will need to modify my front section to make it go strait and level it can be done but I would have preferred. a little straighter frame one I don't have to modify so much just to get it flat.

-Larry
Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #18
HiRMKin

Thanks tmoble, it worked will with no guessing if I was right or not.Check out my build thread Great White North 59 Fleetside Build.Wilberweb the front frame parts I made in the shop I work at.
I think if you if your going cut and make it straight it doesn't matter which frame you have. If you cut a little at a time and think head you should be able to do the same as I did.

Darin

Last edited by HiRMKin; 05-25-2011 at 12:27 PM.
HiRMKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #19
wilberweb

HiRMKin
I went to Great white north 59 fleetside build and couldn't find any build pictures did I go to the wrong section. Can you send a link?
I agree Darin about cutting and making it work that was the plan So i guess the camaro fronts aren't all the same does any one know what year had the 5 mile an hour bumper like 79 -to 81 just that specific year, I know they stopped making them in that style and got away from that type of bumper. I know its been mentioned, I just cant remember where.

-Larry
Old 05-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #20
55metalmonkey

wilberweb,
speaking of jigs when I did mine I made 2 mirror image jigs that bolted to the wheel hubs to help align the front wheels to the rear and maintain the 115" measurement left to right throughout the job. it worked out perfect and kept the whole frame nice and square and made it 1000x easier to line it all back up after I had to make some adjustmets with the grinder. I posted a few pics here about 1/2 way down in the thread. hope it helps

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449000
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #21
Red Foreman

Here's my version of the jig we set up on my 56 GMC, clips are little more complicated than doing a chevy due to the rad support.
Basically the jig is to keep the rad support crossmember & bumper horn points.
Heaps of fab work there, its all tacked in ready to be welded up.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #22
Red Foreman

Another angle.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #23
Red Foreman

77 firebird clip tacked in.
Attached Images

Last edited by Red Foreman; 05-25-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #24
Red Foreman

Sorry guys I can only post one pic at a time?? here's one with the front on mocked up! Nexts job is to blend, weld & neaten everything up.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #25
wilberweb

Red foreman,
Nice jig, great job on the frame.To post multiple pictures go to manage attachments, you will see a dialog box where you can browse your picture files then upload all the pictures you want. I think you can upload 4 at a time.

-Larry