The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
gysgtc

Will these gears fit a 67 c10 rear end

12 bolt 4.10 Positraction rearend out of a 1967 Chevy G-10 van. Thanks. Wayne
gysgtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Jeffs70

Re: Will these gears fit a 67 c10 rear end

I am not totally sure. I Tried to switch the carriers a few days ago from two rear ends to make a good posi rear end. both rear ends was 12 Bolt. I also changed the pinion and ring gear but then one rear end worked fine with the posi carrier. but the other did not fit so well after. there is to much pressure on the ring gear and pinion even with no shims so you may want to check your carriers before hand and I noticed the area where the ring gears bolts are, there is more tappered and pushes the carrier more the other way and keeps it offset to much. Measurements and eyeballing it may help im not a pro so I am not to sure. also before hand if you really plan on doing this you may want to buy a shim kit.

Last edited by Jeffs70; 05-22-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysgtc View Post
12 bolt 4.10 Positraction rearend out of a 1967 Chevy G-10 van. Thanks. Wayne
Are you asking if the entire housing will work? or just the internals? Messing with used gears is almost always a big problem. It really requires a "Pro" and most of them will not touch it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs70 View Post
I Tried to switch the carriers a few days ago from two rear ends to make a good posi rear end. I also changed the pinion and ring gear but then one rear end worked fine with the posi carrier. but the other did not fit so well after. there is to much pressure on the ring gear and pinion even with no shims so you may want to check your carriers before hand and I noticed the area where the ring gears bolts are, there is more tappered and pushes the carrier more the other way and keeps it offset to much.
You must have 2 different "series" of carriers.....they will NOT interchange. It is very likely that you now have two un-usable rear ends.
There is a lot of precision involved in setting up a ring & pinion set.
Anyone can throw the correct pieces together and make them turn....but that's a lonnng way from being correct and it absolutely has to be. If it is not perfect, it will be noisey and fail in a very short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
cdowns

at the very least havin the factory service manual and the proper tools listed in it are a great idea to doin rearends
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
cheyenne shortstep

Don't know which 12 bolt is in a van but truck 12 bolts are different than cars.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Jeffs70

I found my problem out and wasnt to bad to fix. Luckily my brother went to a school to learn how to work on rear ends. any how mine was switching the carriers and I switched the pinion and ring gear but that was the problem. the ring gear where both different thickenesses. the 373 ring gear is approx 3/16 of an inch thicker all the way then the other gears. so we switched them back and spaced it correctly and made sure everything was right on as it should be and it works great now.

so now I have posi but with the gears I didnt want. so later down the road I will just have to get the right gears.

Last edited by Jeffs70; 05-22-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
soxplayer

Someone will jump in and correct me any minute, but I am pretty sure the 4:10 up carrier is the issue and without "special" "expensive" aftermarket gears you cannot put 4:10 in a 3:73 carrier or vice versa.
soxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
Jeffs70

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxplayer View Post
Someone will jump in and correct me any minute, but I am pretty sure the 4:10 up carrier is the issue and without "special" "expensive" aftermarket gears you cannot put 4:10 in a 3:73 carrier or vice versa.
Im not sure about that totally but I do know I wanted to change from 3.07 to make my posi 3.73 but didnt work out that way so I will have to find out the numbers and get the correct gears later if possible.