The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
72Mountaineer

Camaro subframe: Pros and cons

I'm still deciding on how to do my '53 front end, an IFS or subframe. I know the IFS systems can be costly, but work well. I have a buddy who I can get a low-mileage '80 Camaro subframe from for cheap. I've seen a number of subframe swaps on here and they look great. Help me decide. Thanks to all who reply.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
01spirit750

Re: Camaro subframe: Pros and cons

Before I reply, I did a clip on my 57 and I am very happy with it. I used a 65 Chevelle front clip.

Now for my response (and opinion). Do not do a clip. Do an IFS. I like the idea of what progressive suspension or no limit has for an IFS and it uses corvette suspension.

I did my clip back in the 90's and the only IFS was the mustang II (which I thought was too weak for a 57 truck, and too expensive).

My point is why do you want to cut your frame? Then you have to be very careful with the body alignment and radiator support locations.

As I mentioned my clip came out fine and I am happy with it, but if I was doing it again today I would do the IFS that uses corvette parts.
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01spirit750 View Post
...Do not do a clip....
My point is why do you want to cut your frame?...
BEFORE I bought my new-to-me 55.2 I fully planned to clip whatever I bought. Now having my very original, very cancer-free truck I can't bring myself to cut it in half! IF I ever go to IFS it'll likely be No Limit's IFS. At this point I'm thinking of Posie's Super Slide double leaf front springs w/Teflon buttons, and likely a dropped axle. I'll add power disc's and a power steering kit and I think I'll get a bigger kick out of having done something different than most '55-'59 owners do. YMMV!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-26-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Indian113

I used a 74 Nova sub on my 53,it's a tad wide. I run 6" wheel with a 4" backspacing. The Camaro is wider than my Nova. You may have to buy narrowed A arms,which brings up the cost after a frontend rebuild to almost the same as a GOOD IFS. Only you have to make yourself happy. Would I do it again? Yes I would
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
jimig1

I was going to do a Camaro sub frame even had one to use. But by the time I replaced parts and everything it was almost as much as a MII. So i sold it and bought a MII from total cost involved (Still waiting for it to arrive few more days) they seem like less work and the price difference i think will be worth the time savings.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I would look at this setup. Its a long read but its a kit that cost about $500 and uses S10 or G body suspension parts.
http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...=738137&page=1

Much less work than a Sub frame and you still end up with a GM truck front end.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
72Mountaineer

I've read the thread on the stovebolt, it seems like a good idea, just nobody who has done this crossmember (I think just 1), but the beauty of this is it is built with junkyard parts. I know the Camaro subframe is a wider trackwidth and can be made up with wheel offset, and I think this would be a more stable suspension than a MII. As for cost, if a person can pick up a loaded subframe (all a-arms, steering box, springs, etc.) for a couple hundred dollars, I couldn't imagine that rebuilding it would cost more or even close to the cost of an IFS. With drop spindles and a power rack just about anyone's IFS can get to $2500 easily. To me it seems that biggest advantage to an IFS is the steering, no bulky box to build your front sheetmetal around, but maybe much easier to hook up to your steering column. Seems like I'm talking myself in and out of both situations.

Last edited by 72Mountaineer; 05-26-2011 at 04:05 PM.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
I've read the thread on the stovebolt, it seems like a good idea, just nobody who has done this crossmember (I think just 1), but the beauty of this is it is built with junkyard parts. I know the Camaro subframe is a wider trackwidth and can be made up with wheel offset, and I think this would be a more stable suspension than a MII. As for cost, if a person can pick up a loaded subframe (all a-arms, steering box, springs, etc.) for a couple hundred dollars, I couldn't imagine that rebuilding it would cost more or even close to the cost of an IFS. With drop spindles and a power rack just about anyone's IFS can get to $2500 easily. To me it seems that biggest advantage to an IFS is the steering, no bulky box to build your front sheetmetal around, but maybe much easier to hook up to your steering column. Seems like I'm talking myself in and out of both situations.
Your either going to expend money or time on a IFS conversion, If you have access to the parts locally or you have to order everything makes a difference. Your fab skills also make a difference in what your going to do.

What ever you decide someone here or on another site has already done it so you will have some guidance on your project. Personally a Camaro/Nova is the hardest conversion. You have to fab everything from the actuall clip to radiator supports and or fender mounts, steering and hope you get it straight. MII or the Danforth style uses the frame rails so its easier to get it straight and radiator mounts and fender mounts don't change. The Kimbridge clip is the easiest. Lop off your rails then slide in the clip and its also S10 G body based.
My personal preference is Kimbridge, then Danforth, then C10 and then MII
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
52 Rat

I know of two trucks with Camaro clips and they are too wide for my taste. I like the IFS kits. I have installed several IFS kits and love track width and ride. I went with the 5/8" narrow tubular control arm IFS kit for my 52.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
quigman

I agree with everyone here. I put a camaro clip on my studebaker and will never do it again. I did it for the cost savings, but the savings are minimal. You can easily spend $300 - $500 to rebuild the clip. Keep in mind that the offset wheels to fix the track are expensive. The majority of wheels are not offered with enough backspacing to fit. You have to look at spendy billet pieces to fit. The biggest reason for me was time. It took me a month of measuring, cutting welding etc. I could have done it in a weekend with the kit. My sheet metal does not fit perfectly and the track is too wide. Take your time and save your money. Do it right the first time, you only get one chance.
quigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

I'm picking up a Danforth cross member in the morning at AHTS in South Bend. I have a 1 ton panel and will have to make some modifications to make it fit but I have promised Scott that I will document it. I have a stock '54 1/2 ton frame that I'll sit side by side so I can make the comparisons.

I've managed to land a pair of new dropped spindles with brakes and all from a G car racer. He built the racer but the dropped spindles put the car too low so he went back to stock. I found them on CL for like $125 two winters ago. The A arms will probably come from one of the catalogs.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Rusty Hooker

I am into my Camaro clip with all new bushings for under $500. The clip was easy to install, gave me great stance and new parts are cheap cheap cheap. Drive train bolts right in, wheels are readily available. Just my $0.02 worth.
Rusty Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

If you go Camaro, watch your width on the AD trucks. The drive train bolts right in but the sheet metal doesn't. An S10 frame is another possibility but again, sheet metal doesn't bolt right up there either!

I've done S10 and the ride is really nice, the V8 is great, and the availability of parts is wonderful. The fabrication was a challenge.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Personally I like the 78-88 Monte Carlo (all g-body cutless, gran prix etc.) clip better than the camaro or firebird due to the track width is not as wide as the camaro and firebirds (check out Kid's build I believe he used a grand prix).
Here are links to his threads
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=154951
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219902

Both the camaro and the g-body clip ride nice I just like the fit of the Monte Carlo (g-body) a little better if I was going the clip route.

Also the early novas fit nice I recently had to repair a botched job on one. Here is a pic of the 70 Nova clip.

I did not go in to aftermarket kits because it seems you are leaning towards doing a clip. So I tried to stick to the question that was asked but like others said they are easier to install and work great if you decide to go that route.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-31-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote