The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
kev2809
low n' slo

Bags over axle

in the next few weeks ill be attempting to weld some over the axle brackets so i can finally move my airbags from the ta's. my question is..how should i measure to place the top bag mounts? i know the bags are close to 3 inches compressed...so should i measure from there? i just want to make sure i get this right..i also have 2" blocks if that makes a diff.
Posted via Mobile Device

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
texastrendz

Re: Bags over axle

First you need to set the top bag mounts as far apart as possible. What is tricky is mounting the bags front to rear. You need to setup it up at ride height. I mounted my trailing arms to the rearend and set it at ride height. Use your top bag mounts to set the spread of the bottom bag mounts. Use a plumb bob to center the bottom bag mount under the top bag mount. Then i used the KP brackets that you have shown and mounted them at 0 degrees with an angle finder. This will be your fixed dimension. Then align the top bag mounts to the bottom bag mounts with a plumb bob. The easiest way to do this is acually tack the top bag mounts to the bridge. You will most likely have to move the bridge forward or back to align to the bottom bag mounts. I used a piece of 2X2 square tubing for my bridge. Remember you have to be able to move the top bag mounts foward or back. Make sure you have the rearend centered with you adjustable panhard bar when at ride height! Every thing is going to move side to side and foward to back when cycling the suspension with this setup. If you front part of your bridge is welded in, you are probably going to have to cut it out to be able to move it front to back. I actually had to install 1" tall spacers under my bags to get the lift i needed. GOOD LUCK!!! IT took me a week to figure this out and get it perfect.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
kev2809
low n' slo

the way i was going to do it was raise up the axle on the jack until the ta's contact the frame, level and weld in the axle brackets, measure about 3-4 inches above that, and weld in the top brackets. that way the bag is fully compressed (or about) at the lowest it can go.

edit: i already have 2 crossmembers welded on (the shop who did my notch welded em on). what i would like to do so i dont have to weld more crossmembers on is, weld the bags plates to those, then if i need to i can bolt however long of cups to the axle brackets to make up the difference. would that be a problem? or should i just weld on new crossmembers where i need them? im not sure if its same to run some, say, 3 or 4" cups between the bags and axle brackets..my notch is huge!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__

Last edited by kev2809; 05-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
kev2809
low n' slo

any other input?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 05-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
kev2809
low n' slo

ttt...was bags over axle not a popular choice? lol

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 05-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
hbaublit

This is the setup I am planning maybe someone can give you input on it. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=bags Scroll down a couple to texastrendz truck, it might be what you are looking for.

1970 Chevy Step
hbaublit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
kev2809
low n' slo

ya, i was originally going to do that setup. but, this is my first time attempting to weld on my suspension stuff, so i figure directly over the axle couldnt really do a lot of damage lol. i welded all the sheetmetal on my suburban, and made my 3/16" brackets for my compressor and tank so im ready to try new bag brackets.

his notch is a lot smaller than mine also, and he still needed to use a 1" spacer. my crossmembers are going to be higher than his..

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
kev2809
low n' slo

well, i got my axle brackets in today, and plan on tacking them in tomorrow. i was wondering what size steel should the top plates be? i have some scrap 3/16" i believe, laying around my in laws. would this be thick enough or am i gonna have to find some 1/4"? i was going to weld in the 3/16" plates and then weld another crossmember across them on the inside of the notches to help support the bag plates.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
m6z

Be sure to set this all up with whatever tire diamater you're going to use. If your running a 28" tall tire now and plan on running a 32" tall tire in the future. You need to set it up for the tallest tire you are going to run.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
kev2809
low n' slo

good point lol..

i went and picked up some 1/4" scrap plate a buddy had laying around. this is going to be tough to try to line up...since i also have to drill out the bolt holes and air fitting hole.

is it possible to jack up the truck, remove the bags, jack up the axle all the way til the ta hits the frame, then align, level, and weld the bag mounts? or they HAVE to aligned during ride height?

i been lookin at this for about an hour trying to find the easiest way to do it..

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
kev2809
low n' slo

started at it today..and of course am running into problems. i got the truck up on jackstands, jacked the axle up til the ta hit. set the axle bracket on the axle, leveled it, slapped the bag on to check clearance. first of all...this bag is way to close to the side of the notch, as in, it might rub on it. how is this possible? ive seen a lot of pics of over the axle setup and none are even close!

i was thinking of offsetting the bag on the axle bracket to move it over, but it doesnt look safe. like this...

or maybe trimming one side of the axle bracket shorter than the other to move it inside away from the notch...

another problem i noticed, is that one side of the axle is closer to touching the notch than the other.

driver side..

passenger side..

any ideas? the axle looks pretty centered when its laid out, i know it should be centered at ride height but i want it perfectly centered when flat out, .5" shouldnt be that big of a difference. plus, i dont think i could afford to lose .5" of axle space when its laid out lol.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
kev2809
low n' slo

one thing i did want to add is that one of my axle u bolts is 1/2", and the other is 3/4". the passenger side broke off one day when i was taking it off and i bought one from o reilly and it was the only size they had. could this be why that side is pulled in more?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
texastrendz

yes, the u bolt will make a difference in the location of the axle. as long as your notch was welded in the same location from side to side it should be centered. my truck is out about a 1/4" from one side to the next. the factory specs on the frame sometimes are way out. this setup is going to be tricky with the round bridge that you have. what is the dia. of the bags that you are using? i am using a re7 in the rear to get added clearance.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
kev2809
low n' slo

im using big ass dominator 2600's lol. i could go down to 2500's like the front, but i really dont want to buy new bags..at least not now. but i could swap out later since the mounting is the same and so is the compressed height.

i got the top plates cut out today and bolted up the bag and it looks like its gonna clear, but barely. what helped is that i flipped the upper plate under the round bars, so it actually kept it away from the notch a little. im hoping i can get these mocked up on both sides tomorrow, then weld em in.

how can i fix the ubolt situation now without actually buying a new ubolt? the driver side is .5" away from the notch, the passenger is a little less than .25". so if i put the correct u bolt in, it will only be less than .25" of a difference.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__

Last edited by kev2809; 06-02-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
charx2

Looks like were both having issues lol. I'm doing mine completely different, i went with under the axle brackets and am having to fab up my top brackets. They are supposed to mount on the bridge bar but as your aware, my notch is huge and the bags wouldn't get any lift at all. I'm fabing them to the side of the notch and am using square tubing to mount them on. It's definitely a pain in the ass so I know how ya feel man!
Posted via Mobile Device
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
kev2809
low n' slo

lol...seems easier when its on someone elses truck huh

post some pics up of that setup if you can...maybe we can figure something out

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
SCOTI

You need to run the correct, larger diameter, bolt that's intended for coil applications vs. the smaller dia bolt for leafs. The smaller dia bolts work because there's 2 of them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #18
kev2809
low n' slo

ya, i should have done this a long time ago. now that i put it off because i didnt think it would matter lol. so should i just measure .25" back on the top bridge plate...or will it make a noticable difference if i affix everything where it is now? i dont think you would notice 1/4" when the bag is deflated....?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__