The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
truckster

Tire Wear

I realize this one might get moved, but it's a Blazer, so I'll start here.

Here's the setup: 72 Blazer 4wd, 2in body lift, running 33x12.50x15 Pirelli Scorpion tires. Tires were new when I bought it, and I've rotated them regularly. I replaced the ball joints, suspension bushings, tie rod ends, and steering gear. I also rebuilt the hubs and packed the bearings. Everything appears to be tight. The caster and camber aren't adjustable as far as I can tell, and toe-in is 1/8 inch.

The problem: My front tires wear on the outsides. The problem is pronounced enough that the outsides of my tires are bald and I have at least 3/8 inch tread on the insides. I'm not sure what might be causing it. Any ideas?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
47thriftmaster

Re: Tire Wear

Check the knuckles, I had one go bad and the same thing happened.
47thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
SeventyOne

How did your knuckle go bad?

Last edited by SeventyOne; 05-26-2011 at 09:40 PM.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
47thriftmaster

It got reamed out at the steering arm. Best way to check that I know of is to jack up the front end and see if there is any type of play in the front wheels.
47thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I realize this one might get moved, but it's a Blazer, so I'll start here.Here's the setup: 72 Blazer 4wd, 2in body lift, running 33x12.50x15 Pirelli Scorpion tires. Tires were new when I bought it, and I've rotated them regularly. I replaced the ball joints, suspension bushings, tie rod ends, and steering gear. I also rebuilt the hubs and packed the bearings. Everything appears to be tight. The caster and camber aren't adjustable as far as I can tell, and toe-in is 1/8 inch.

The problem: My front tires wear on the outsides. The problem is pronounced enough that the outsides of my tires are bald and I have at least 3/8 inch tread on the insides. I'm not sure what might be causing it. Any ideas?
Your in the right area

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47thriftmaster View Post
It got reamed out at the steering arm. Best way to check that I know of is to jack up the front end and see if there is any type of play in the front wheels.
If I jack up one side, there's no slop or play in the steering or suspension. It's got me baffled.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
coyote72

I have seen somewhere that they sell tapered shims that go between the knuckle and the spindle. Maybe somewhere down the line some one put them on your truck? If not maybe you can look into getting some to level out your situation.

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
coyote72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
AlaskaMatt

Call me crazy but how are the roads in your area? Here we have deep ruts in all the highways. I got rid of a set of 11.5's because with the backspacing and width of the tires I was slightly wider than standard rut. Pulled all over and tire wear was goofy.

Like you this was after cleaning up the whole front end.

Matt

My Website
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMatt View Post
Call me crazy but how are the roads in your area? Here we have deep ruts in all the highways. I got rid of a set of 11.5's because with the backspacing and width of the tires I was slightly wider than standard rut. Pulled all over and tire wear was goofy.

Like you this was after cleaning up the whole front end.
That's definitely a possibility. Utah has two seasons: Winter and construction. I-15 has been in one or another stage of rebuilding for years. I've got some 10.5s to put on it. Maybe I'll just put them on and see what they do.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
cleszkie

I'm not sure, but you may have too much toe in. If I recall, my assembly manual specifies something like 2 degrees of toe in. I don't know how that compares to 1/8 inch, but if you have 1/8 inch on each side, you have too much.

Something else to note: If you installed a lift, the caster angle will have been changed unless you shimmed the spring perches (top of knuckles rotate forward). Improper caster can cause this too. Good luck.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
Blazer1970

For what it's worth, I had a set of those Pirelli Scorpions on my Dmax once and they wore out completely in about 20,000 miles. The tires could be exacerbating any alignment problem you may have.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
bigpig72CST

A couple of guys I work with had the Pirelli Scorpion tires on their new F*rd trucks from the factory, and they did the same thing. They seem to be extremely soft tires, and do not wear well.
bigpig72CST is offline   Reply With Quote