The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
cue1go

Looking for solutions

Anyone ever had to adapt the power steering to accommodate headers for a sb chevy? My motor is supposed to use a exhaust manifold bolt to receive the 1st part of a 2 part bracket set for the p/s. The header is much thinner than the stock manifold. Is there a solution out there to do away with the stock p/s mounting bracket and utilize an aftermarket design that does not connect to the exhaust bolt?
cue1go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
HTX86chevy

Re: Looking for solutions

i'm having a similar prob. only mine is the bracket that attaches to the a/c compressor and p/s . ive done some searches and alot of ppl are saying to use a spacer. anyone know what/where to get this spacer and what size bolt would be needed???

i'm pretty sure this is the same problem youre having
Old 05-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
cue1go

1/2 inch rigid conduit cut to the proper length seems logical.
cue1go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
HTX86chevy

if you manage to get it going please post pics w/ details.... ive been trying for 2 days. unfortunately, i hacked up the bracket in the process, so i have to take a trip to the parts yard tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
85sierraclassic

i used a treaded stud and ran a nut up on the header then a nut backed off till it hit the power stearing bracket ill just go take a picture lol its not perfect but works brb
Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
85sierraclassic

there ya go
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
f.monroe

Does your truck have a bolt in the bracket right now or is it a bolt that has a threaded portion sticking out the top? Crazy sounding question I know. I always reused the bolt that was in the original manifold or went to the junk yard and picked one up . The PS bracket on some trucks bolts onto a studded bolt . You have to remove a 3/8' threaded 9/16 headed nut , then remove the bracket , then remove the stud from the manifold. If you have this setup, just remove and save the studded bolt , run a nut on the threads that go into the head and tighten it against the header, These bolts are shouldered so the nut will only go on about 3/4". It will tighten against the header and the original studded portion will be at the perfect height to reattach the PS bracket. Post a pic of the original setup and I will see if you have what I am talking about .
It will look like the pic above but the bolt has threads on each end already . No need to use a adjustable stud .
Frank

Last edited by f.monroe; 05-26-2011 at 10:30 PM.
f.monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
85sierraclassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Does your truck have a bolt in the bracket right now or is it a bolt that has a threaded portion sticking out the top? Crazy sounding question I know. I always reused the bolt that was in the original manifold or went to the junk yard and picked one up . The PS bracket on some trucks bolts onto a studded bolt . You have to remove a 3/8' threaded 9/16 headed nut , then remove the bracket , then remove the stud from the manifold. If you have this setup, just remove and save the studded bolt , run a nut on the threads that go into the head and tighten it against the header, These bolts are shouldered so the nut will only go on about 3/4". It will tighten against the header and the original studded portion will be at the perfect height to reattach the PS bracket. Post a pic of the original setup and I will see if you have what I am talking about .
It will look like the pic above but the bolt has threads on each end already . No need to use a adjustable stud .
Frank
well your actually right i just didnt feel like typing that much lol but thats what was done on mine