The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
66 lwb cs

HO52 rear end education

OK I did the search thing and I know that somewhere I saw some stuff about the HO52 rear end being a bad rear end to use but I can't find out why I even did a search on google and some liked the rear end so if someone could point me to the link or educate me on what's bad about the rear end. I think I understand that most had steep gears so is it not possible to change to a less steep gear in them also can they be switched over to 5 lug and can they accept a disc brake conversion? Any answers and education would be appreciated. Sorry if this was covered somewhere but I couldn't find it so don't beat me up too bad thanks. Also the truck I am buying the owner says it has the Heavy duty rear end in it complete with overload springs what rear end would that be a Dana or the HO52? He is my father in law and the origianl owner but just knows it's the heavy duty rear. It is a 3/4 ton camper special long bed if that helps with the 327/TH400. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 66 lwb cs; 05-27-2011 at 11:05 PM.
66 lwb cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
SFTorange

Re: HO52 rear end education

I hope I can at least get you started off on the right foot.

The HO52 rear end in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad rear end. It is a full floater, and the third members can be changed out very easily. They are definitely a beefy setup. There are some drawbacks to these rears, however. From what I found, most came with 4.56 gears which makes them a monster on the highway. That's what mine came from the factory with. I was able to find a third member to swap in that had 4.10 gears which were a bit more manageable. Given the size of the housing, the tallest gears that will fit are 3.90 ratio. So, depending on what you want to use the truck for, you might have difficulty managing the gear ratio, especially on the highway.

I do know that disc brakes are available, but I don't believe that anything is available for a 5 lug swap. From what I was able to find out, 4X4 guys like to use these rears in some circumstances. They are definitely heavy duty, 8-lug setups.

The good news is, that you can easily convert your new truck over to a 5 or 6 lug rear end. If you find a 64-69 (I believe) 12 bolt rear out of a C10, you can pretty much bolt it in in place of the HO52 with 6 lugs (you can redrill these axles or buy 5 lug conversion axles). I found a 12 bolt with 3.73's for $150 at the local junk yard. If you get the factory panhard bar from the c10, it will bolt in place if you bend it a little. The 12 bolt rears from '70 and '71 were 5 lug from the factory, and will bolt right in place with your factory coil springs. The only difference with the 70-71 rears is that they are 1.5" wider than the earlier 6-lug models. I'm not sure what it would take to keep the overload springs though.

The '66 custom camper version is a good truck to have. It definitely came with a lot of desirable options from the factory. It isn't hard at all to swap out to 6 or 5 lug discs in the front either.

I'm in the process of converting my '66 C20 to a C10, and everything has been pretty easy. I'm using C20 to C10 conversion spindles from Early Classic. I've been very impressed with their products. You can also swap out the rear C20 shear type cab mounts for the C10 type doughnut mounts very easily. PM me, and I can let you know where to get reproduction cab mount brackets.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. See my build thread for more info on what I've done so far.
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The one other drawback to the HO52 is that parts such as bearings are getting harder to find, and when you do find them they are $$$. I have heard of the rear pinion bearing going for as much as $250.00.

If the truck you are getting has leaf springs, there is a possibility that the rear end is a Dana 60. That would be a much better rear end than the HO52. I'm just not familar enough with the Camper Special to know what it may have.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
66 lwb cs

Thanks for the response the truck has over load leafs but it is a coil over rear end. Would the rear out of a 72 work I found a 12 bolt for 200 but then I have to change over the front end at that time or run 2 types of wheels which would be wierd. I am tight on money after the purchase and transport of the truck so was just wondering about what the problem was with the rear. It should be in good shape he takes good care of the truck and it was in a warm climate with no salt on the roads, (California) I may try to find the 4:10 or 3:90 gear set for it. Could someone elaborate on that a bit or have pics I did read where they some how bolt in I think from the front not through the rear cover if I understood what I read but not sure also where might I look for them would a rear end shop have any or are they more rare as Capt'n said? I do know it has new brakes at a cost of mucho $$$ according to PO. Any other help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
SFTorange

Captain Fab has some good points about the cost and availablity of parts. About ten years ago, you could get new ring and pinion sets in 3.90 for the HO52 from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I don't think they are really available at all right now. I'm not sure which vehicles might have come with the 4.10 gears from the factory. It is really easy to swap out the third members if you are able to find one with better gears. (You may want to find out if your Camper Special has 4.10 gears in it from the factory).

To remove the third member, you first need to pull the axles. This is very simple and just involves removing the eight bolts on the very outside of your brake drums. Once you remove the bolts, the axles should come right out. Then all you have to do is remove the bolts on the front side of the axle, and the third member will drop right out.

The '72 rear will work, but it is 1.5" wider than than the 60-66 12 bolts. If you look in the FAQ section, you can read about doing a front crossmember swap with a truck that came with a 5 lug front disc brakes. In fact, the 1972 front crossmember would work if it is available. You could probably get the whole swap done pretty affordably.

Sorry if I left anything out, there's a lot to cover!
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
66 lwb cs

Thanks again and yes I have read about the front crossmember even found one here for like 150 but then have to do the rear and I would like to find the one from the 69 truck that is about the same size and then need new 5 lug wheels and tires so may have to save up to do it all at once. Just wondered about the gearing and the viability of just reworking the HO52 and not having to swap but I guess I'll have to do more looking thanks.