The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
justinburnett

Got my first bodywork done!

So I was sitting outside, staring at the engine hoist that has been sitting in my yard in my way since my engine install a few months back, when this guy in a beautiful '58 Chevy stops to ask if it's for sale. I told him sure, take it for $150. He says he can probably get one from someone else for $100 but he'll think about it. Then he starts talking about my truck. Now, I'm definitely not embarrassed about her, but he's driving a really nice truck, so i was kinda confused about what he saw in her, but we started chatting and walking around and I showed him some of the stuff I'd done, and told him my next project was to try and figure out how to replace the rocker panel and cab corner on the driver's side. Of course, it just so happens that he's a retired body guy who owned a shop in town for 30 years and he's like "well, I could fix that up for you, no problem". I said how much, he said he'd take an engine hoist in trade, and off we went.

I went by later that night just to see if he'd started on it. I've heard horror stories about how long body stuff takes. Well he'd already started tearing into it and it looked like my poor truck had been hit by a bulldozer! I was kinda stressed out, but I figured things had to be moved to get to the back of the cab. The next morning I went by and it looked like he was running a chop shop, not a body shop. Just got it back and it's better than I had even hoped for. 24 hours later it's back at my house, no cash out of pocket, just an engine hoist that I didn't need and didn't know what to do with since I'm moving in a couple weeks, and no more rusty holes! Wish i had a before picture, but I'm sure you've seen some rotted out corners and rockers.

Also, special thanks to the site vendor, Captkaos, for the body patch panels. Guy said they were high quality and they took very little trimming to fit.

First night

Next morning

Finished corner
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
mooseknuckles

Re: Got my first bodywork done!

wow thats a sweet deal!...and a good job!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
ont_guy_38

looks like he did an awesome job
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
sumran

Speed, quality and a great deal. You both got what you wanted. There's a lot to love in that story.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
kcackler

So what would a body shop normally charge for that particular job? It's obviously a great deal, but I'm curious as to just how great...
Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
justinburnett

I have no idea. I tried taking it to a shop once and they wouldn't even give me a price. They said something like "depending on whether it's rusty inside, and how much good metal there is to weld to, and blah blah blah, so we can't give you a firm bid" and I said, okay, well give me a range and they just gave me their shop fee per hour and said it'd be whatever it was. Won't be back there. Ever. Really glad this opportunity came by as I'm going to be moving in a couple weeks and I don't know when I would ever get it done now. It's going to be a while before I can work on her again. I was hoping to get everything the way I wanted by the end of the summer.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
slammed90

does "Captkaos" sell these panels or were those the only ones he had
slammed90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
justinburnett

He sells a bunch of different stuff. Send him a PM and he'll direct you to his site.

Found it actually, just check it out.

http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=C1

Last edited by justinburnett; 05-29-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

that looks phenominal... lol will th is guy make a housecall to NJ?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
justinburnett

LOL I wish I could take him with me when I move! Sucks I stressed out about getting body work done for so long and have been putting it off all these months just to find out he lives right up the street from me right before I go.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by justinburnett; 05-29-2011 at 05:16 PM.