The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
darqnez

Wipers Parked "UP" help

HI Guys, I am in the final stages...like a just a few weekends left, of my build of "SookII" which is a surprise birthday/fathers day gift for my dad, has taken me 3 years to do and his health is failing now (he is 76) so I am in a hurry. I have gotten this far with just using the search function and want to thank all of you guys for contributing on this forum to help make an old man happy, he deserves it!

I am stuck on this one though, I fixed my wipers with the help of a few great threads on here but they were not parking ... no big deal, no time to worry about that one....but yesterday in the rain they all of a sudden decided to park and in the UP position. I know i clocked the motor correctly (think i know) and here is what has be baffled...since they are parked up...if i clock the motor differently wouldn't that mean when they are on they will be trying to wipe the hood? meaning if they work perfectly except parking up....then from the park point they try to go "down" if i clock it so park is at the bottom then down from there is the cowl...i see blue paint on wipers and and off my cowl and hood if i try that so got scared!

What if the transmission is backwards? would that explain this? Any help appreciated.

I plan to sit down and do a full project thread with pix on all the customization i have done to try and give back to the forum when this is done and I have the time.
Attached Images

darqnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: Wipers Parked "UP" help

I'd pull the wiper arms and reinstall in the correct parked position.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
darqnez

Yes sir, thought of that but if they currently "go down" when turned on, and i put them in correct park wouldn't that mean they will still try to "go down" and onto the cowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I'd pull the wiper arms and reinstall in the correct parked position.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Richard H.
Spanked once

Look thru the last pages of this thread,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=318544
Old 05-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
darqnez

Thanks Richard, very familiar with that great thread, was able to get them working with its help, they work perfectly except my park is in direct opposite position to where they should be.

Im starting to thing the transmission for the arms is backwards or something, if the motor was clocked wrong, it wouldnt work perfectly with the arms in the right position while on, and then park opposite, i am thinking something in the mechanics of the trans must be backwards.

Last edited by darqnez; 05-29-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by darqnez View Post
Thanks Richard, very familiar with that great thread, was able to get them working with its help, they work perfectly except my park is in direct opposite position to where they should be.

Im starting to thing the transmission for the arms is backwards or something, if the motor was clocked wrong, it wouldnt work perfectly with the arms in the right position while on, and then park opposite, i am thinking something in the mechanics of the trans must be backwards.
That makes sense. They are parking at the end of the first throw (middle of the cycle). Would crossed wires do this (wired backwards)?
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
darqnez

I fixed it, It was the transmission. The pitman arm looking piece that connects to the motor can go 2 dif ways onto the motor due to how its slotted...of course Murphy's law dictates that you choose the wrong position first, then take everything back apart flip it and put it all back together again, nice..