The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Question Spring Removal/Cutting tips??

Hello everyone, i come to you guys today with 2 questions:

1) Has anyone removed a coil spring using a jack? I know on the Buick's u can slowly lower the lowers's with a hydraulic jack, and the spring will fully release tension, and safely fall out.....
____-what about these trucks? can you do the same or will the spring slip out of its pocket and become a missile? haha

2) USING A CUT OFF WHEEL how muck spring have u guys removed to how much drop you can get??
ie: 1" of cut coil=7/8 drop

Just trying to prepair for my over haul.... staring in 2 weeks !!!

THANKS!!!

Last edited by cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n; 05-30-2011 at 04:57 AM.
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
one low c10

Re: Spring Removal/Cutting tips??

each coil cut should get you around 2 inches, I wouldnt cut more than one in mho. That is how I take my springs out but I am sure it isnt recomended, of course make sure you undo the ball joint first lol.
one low c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
mentlmidget

I have removed my 87 c10 springs in that manner safely. I agree, only cut 1 coil, then buy the lowered spring if you want it lowered any farther. AND CUT using a cut off wheel, not a torch or not a plasma cutter.

Just my opinion. $149 and less for a dropped coil spring.

Coil Reasoning: In short, by cutting the spring, you change the physics of the spring.

It was explained to me this way: "No you don't change the steel, no you don't change IT- IT is still a spring. You change the leverage of the spring. Pull the coil spring straight, you have a lever. Cut a coil length off the now straight spring and you have less leverage. It will be more difficult to lift your object. Coil the spring back up. You have just increased the resistance of your spring. Enjoy your bouncy ride."

One coil, no big deal. The more you cut, the more bounce you will get, the less affective your spring will be. Cut until you have 2 coils left. You might as well be riding on blocks of steel or take the springs out.

Have I tried 2 coils? no. I ride on air.
mentlmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
JAG66

1 full coil cut off = ~ 2". Use a cut-off wheel. The ride is fine.

For safety, I run a chain through my coil spring and slowly lower LCA with a floor jack until spring is unloaded to keep coil spring from flying out. Lot of stored energy there. Will probably still have to spread control arms apart with a pry bar to get the coil out.
JAG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i agree with the pry bar... ive done it three times now on my trucks

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Cherub

Man I guess I just dont do it safe. I use a BFH and tension to get the ball joints to drop out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Cherub; 05-30-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
tazman87

one guy with his foot pushing down the lower arm, then you yank it out. easy for me to do
tazman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
lilpoindexter

When I took my springs out, even with the ball joints removed, and the lca pushed as far down as it would go, i still had to use a pry bar to get the OG spring to pop out.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
Man I guess I just dont do it safe. I use a BFH and tension to get the ball joints to drop out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Im confused, BFH = big freakn hammer? and tension to remove balljoints??? You lost me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman87 View Post
one guy with his foot pushing down the lower arm, then you yank it out. easy for me to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG66 View Post
1 full coil cut off = ~ 2". Use a cut-off wheel. The ride is fine.
For safety, I run a chain through my coil spring and slowly lower LCA with a floor jack until spring is unloaded to keep coil spring from flying out. Lot of stored energy there. Will probably still have to spread control arms apart with a pry bar to get the coil out.
So you guys say when the spring is fully released of tension, the lowers will still not wanna let the sprind drop out?? So u have to force the LCA downward, to remove the spring??

I planned on running a chain thru the spring so if it were to "spring off" is would be stopped by the chain. I bought some 5200lb test with 5/8 Hardened hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentlmidget View Post
I have removed my 87 c10 springs in that manner safely. I agree, only cut 1 coil, then buy the lowered spring if you want it lowered any farther. AND CUT using a cut off wheel, not a torch or not a plasma cutter.

Just my opinion. $149 and less for a dropped coil spring.

Coil Reasoning: In short, by cutting the spring, you change the physics of the spring.

It was explained to me this way: "No you don't change the steel, no you don't change IT- IT is still a spring. You change the leverage of the spring. Pull the coil spring straight, you have a lever. Cut a coil length off the now straight spring and you have less leverage. It will be more difficult to lift your object. Coil the spring back up. You have just increased the resistance of your spring. Enjoy your bouncy ride."

One coil, no big deal. The more you cut, the more bounce you will get, the less affective your spring will be. Cut until you have 2 coils left. You might as well be riding on blocks of steel or take the springs out.

Have I tried 2 coils? no. I ride on air.
Perfect! I dont plan on going more than 1", more like 3/4..... so when say 1 coil, do u mean a "C" or an "O" hahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
When I took my springs out, even with the ball joints removed, and the lca pushed as far down as it would go, i still had to use a pry bar to get the OG spring to pop out.
So u agree? guys say when the spring is fully released of tension, the lowers will still not wanna let the spring drop out?? So u have to force the LCA downward, to remove the spring??

THANKS!!
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
JAG66

Yes, usually with full coil, you will still have to force the LCA down to remove it. It can also be forced down by hand. Of course, when you cut some off, it should be easier to remove next time.
One full coil is the "O".
Don't mean to confuse, but one downfall to cutting half a coil is getting the bottom coil to seat into the pre-formed recess of the LCA. When you re-install the coil, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by JAG66; 05-30-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
Cherub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n View Post
Im confused, BFH = big freakn hammer? and tension to remove balljoints??? You lost me.

THANKS!!
Naw, to get the ball joints to drop out of the spindel.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
1LowToy

Sorry to go away from the popular vote. I'd never cut a spring again.

Put the spring in a press for example compress 1" heat as needed the second from the top coil, 3/4 around until the 1" come out of it and cool in your 5 gallon waste oil bucket. 1" shorter is a 1" drop. I say heat the second from the top so the coils do not contact each other when compressed. Any more than one inch buy the 2" coils and go from there.

I did only 5/8" off a new spring and got just that.

Again sorry to go against the popular vote of cut vs heat. Heating done correctly is better.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
JAG66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
Naw, to get the ball joints to drop out of the spindel.
I use a Snap On air hammer kit with a pickle fork attachment. Takes about 5 seconds to break it loose. But the BFH works too.....about an 8 pounder. May take several hits. You'll know it when it comes out. Watch the fenders BTW.....
Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post

Again sorry to go against the popular vote of cut vs heat. Heating done correctly is better.
It's not a popularity contest, its about a proven method that works safely or one that will ruin a spring.

The method you have described is exactly what you should NOT do. By applying excessive heat to the spring, you have diminished the molecular integrity of the metal. The heating and the rapid cooling or "quenching" process will make the steel brittle and eventually lead to collapse or breaking.

Just because you have done it in a manner that is known to be unsafe and got away with it, please don't try to promote your improper practices to those that might not know better.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
HzSandman

I have always removed my springs by loosening the lower ball joint nut so its flush with the top of the thread. Then hit the spindle around where the ball joint passes through with a decent hammer. The tension on the spring will pop the lower control arm down, but it will only go so far as the nut will stop it from flying right down. Then just put your jack under the lca, jack it up to take the tension back off the ball joint nut, remove it, then slowly lower the jack.

Dont hit the top of the ball joint nut down. It will just make a mess of the nut.
HzSandman is offline   Reply With Quote