The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
68black_betty

valve adjustment help

now i pretty much know the basics on adjusting snug it in so the pushrod still spins freely then go 3/4 turn, my question is when snugging it in should the rock er still be able to move side to side a little but no play up and down or do you want to have no play side to side and up and down
68black_betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
SSchevimp

Re: valve adjustment help

they will still move a little side to side, hey shouldnt be super tight, if they are then your valves will be open all the time
96 civic commuter
SSchevimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i do my adjustment while the engine is running at normal temp ,i got some old covers that are cut out so the oil stays in the engine and not in engine bay (mess) ,but heres how to set them up
Remove the valve cover.

Identify the number one cylinder. See the page on Firing Order on the menu to the right if you are not sure which cylinder is number one.

Turn the engine over until you see the number one cylinder exhaust valve rocker arm JUST START to move from the closed position to open. You may need to turn the motor over a couple of times to reach this point, but do not turn any further.

Locate the intake valve.

Loosen the rocker arm adjustment nut until you feel some obvious lash or clearance in the adjustment.

Using the thumb and index finger of one hand, grasp the intake push rod below the rocker arm, and rotate it back and forth (clock-wise and counter clock-wise successively to be sure there is no remaining pressure on the push rod from the rocker arm as you loosen the rocker arm adjusting nut.

Using the other hand, while continuously performing step 6, with a 5/8 socket and ratchet, tighten the rocker arm adjustment nut slowly until you feel a resistance of motion on the push rod.

This will be the zero lash adjustment point. For hydraulic lifters, tighten the rocker arm adjustment nut 3/4 of a turn. For solid lifters, back off the rocker arm adjustment nut until your feeler gauge just fits under the contact point between the valve stem and the rocker arm. Fine tune the adjustment by checking it with a feeler gauge just slightly thicker than the preferred clearance to be sure the clearance is not greater than it should be. If the larger feeler gauge will fit, it needs to be re-adjusted. A lash tolerance of 1-2 thousandths of an inch in the valve adjustment for solid lifters would be acceptable since it may be difficult for someone who is in-experienced to be more precise than that.

Turn the engine over until the intake valve opens and then is almost closed.

On the exhaust valve, repeat steps 5 through 8 for the exhaust valve adjustment.

Repeat this procedure for each cylinder. Be sure to do each cylinder sequentially, either following the firing order, following the cylinders numerically, or in the case of a V8 doing one side of the engine at a time. I prefer to do one side of the engine at a time.

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Lee H

In a well oiled valve train the push rod will still spin freely when fully adjusted.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
68black_betty

ok yall thanks for the help
68black_betty is offline   Reply With Quote