The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
blkcorvair

Prep for repairing rockers and Cab Corners

I am about to start cutting my rockers, outer floors, cab corners, inner cab corners and cab mounts.

Id like to do one side at a time without removing the cab from the truck.

Any advise on what thinhs should be disconnected to jack up each side of the cab? Also where do I start? Cab mounts first maybe and than cut everything else out? Than Corners than Rockers, Than outer floor? Inner rockers? Been reading alot of past threads. Seems I should have something to line everything up to. So thinking replacing the Cab Mounts before I remove all the Rusted Sheetmetal may be Ideal?

I need some suggestions. Thanks!
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
c1069

Re: Prep for repairing rockers and Cab Corners

HERE IS ONE VIDEO WELL THEY ARE 3 VIDEOS BUT IS JUST FOR ROCKER PANELS

69 c/10 step side 454/400 with 3.07
c1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
my67c20

Recently did most of what you are about to do. Took alot of time. Make sure you trim and fit as you go along. Don't take too much out at one time otherwise the opening might twist on you. I did not even unbolt the cab, i did it all in place one side at a time.

Make sure after you have the infected area out to clean and protect the sorrounding areas with some rust encapsilator products (eastwood)

Tack all your metal in place then install your doors and fenders and make sure your door gaps did not get bigger or smaller. When all done do not put the fenders on until after you adjust your doors.

I found that a good chisel, flap wheels and alot of vise grip pliers were my best friend. Make sure you try to have a 1/32 gap before you weld to get good penetration.

What kind of welder are you using? Use some of the cut off bits from the panels and run some test beads so you can get the welder set-up good. Always tack and move. Don't grind in one spot too long. Wear knee pads. And watch out for that damn turn signal lever. Cover up and protect anything you don't want grinding dust to settle on, especially any cast aluminum parts (intakes, water pumps, etc).

Good luck and post some pictures.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
99-LS1-SS

Great thread. I'm subscribing.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
blkcorvair

I'll be using a Clarke EN180 Mig Welder. Has it for a while now. Pretty good with it. Welded up my MG Midget Race Car with it. But will be looking for better results here. More worried about the correct sequence than anything else. I am thinking I should Replace the Cab Corner, Rear Cab Support, and Inner Cab Corner. Than replace the front Cab Support, Than The Rocker, Than the Outer Floor. Trying to leave the original rocker in place as long as possible to kinda hold things square. Ill Have to Jack up one side ofthe cab at least a bit because The front Cab Supports are almost completely gone and I cant picture the rear at the moment. That may be easy to gt out when I do the Cab Corner.

Also Should I change my gas at all. I think Im running a pretty standard Argon Co2 Mix.

Last edited by blkcorvair; 06-02-2011 at 09:13 AM.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
my67c20

Everything ties into everything else, as you will learn. This is why i recommend tacking in the panels then making sure fenders and doors bolt up and line up. You may have to do this a few times just as a sanity check. Just do not go crazy with the cutoff wheel remove what needs to be replaced.

Sounds like you got a good handle on the welder, that was my biggest hassle. By the time i got done i felt like i finally had the thing dialed in. What worked good for me was slightly higher amperage and feed. Gave me good penetration as well as a good puddle. The gas you have will work. I used .030 wire.

Remember while you have some of the areas open, sand, clean and apply some rust convertor inside the tight areas. Trust me there is more rust there than what you think so be patient and take your time, will pay off in the end.

Also i bought my panels from GMC Pauls, fit good deliverd on time and good quality. Had to do some massaging to get crisp corners but otherwise they are the vendor of choice for me.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
my67c20

Just some photos of my handi-work

Also i used the L56 .025 wire
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
72 tigger

A lot of work but, you're doing it right!
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote