The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Big Orange 78

Engine Chugging and Vibrations

78 Chevy K20 w/454 and edelbrock 650 cfm carb w/ th350 tranny. Chuggs when i press on the accelerator around the 25 mph - 45 mph range. Especially noticable when going up hill or when the engine is under a heavy load. Rebuilt the carb and changed the fuel filter to get rid of a flooding problem, however chugging still remains. Still does it and it is more noticable now then before. I am thinking it is a ignition issue. Also I get a vibration when i step on the gas from it seems the front of the truck. Vibration goes away at higher speeds i.e. 65 or higher. But it returns when it get back down around 40-55 mph.I am thinking it is a tire or maybe my drive shaft. does it in 2nd gear as well. Any help is much appreciated!
Big Orange 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Chris Guthro

Re: Engine Chugging and Vibrations

Shot in the dark but what kind of shape are your plugs in? and maybe the vibration could be a wheel bearing? does it make a howling/whistling noise?
Chris Guthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Big Orange 78

just replaced all the bearings and races front and back, and u-joints as well. haven't checked the plugs yet.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
85sierraclassic

the chugging and what not sounds like plugs could have alot to do with it, since you had flooding issues and havent replaced them since that was taking care of. might even have to do a little with the vibration mine was using oil and fowling plugs really bad and then they would do it. the truck would pick up a pretty bad vibration when it was under load and would cut out but would some what go away if you were running down the road at a higher rpm.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
notyo_cheez

Fuel pump.
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Big Orange 78

fuel pump does look pretty old and beaten up. Do you think i am losing pressure at the pump and that is the cause of the intermitten loss of power?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

idk if a 78 has a highway spark controll but if it did thatd be an obious sign of ignition.... pull the plugs, let is know the color and condition, but tho knows, where r u feeling the" chugging" floor boards? wheel? pedal?..
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Big Orange 78

chugging and loss of power is definately engine, its just dieing off and losing power, stuttering and then its fine for a few minutes until i press on the gas again.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
notyo_cheez

Cool Re: Engine Chugging and Vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Orange 78 View Post
fuel pump does look pretty old and beaten up. Do you think i am losing pressure at the pump and that is the cause of the intermitten loss of power?
Good possibility. I learned in troubleshooting engine problems is look at simple and cheap first.

If cap, rotor, wires and plugs are all fine next step is fuel, by substituting a clean fuel filter for a suspect and the problem persists check the pump. If the fuel pump has a leak in the diaphragm you can still start it but you'll get that chug under load, happened to me once with a '76 Monte Carlo. It behaved just as you described, new fuel pump fixed it especially when it died on me completely and left me stranded.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
notyo_cheez

Lightbulb Re: Engine Chugging and Vibrations

While you have the fuel pump off drop your tank and pull your sending unit. Check the sock for contamination, blow out the lines, etc. so you can rule out any delivery issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
BlackTopMotors

I agree with starting with the basic items first...think big tune up.

Sometimes its as simple as a dirty or too small of and air cleaner/the carb is starving at higher rpms. Bad set of wires, plugs...

Move through each item systematically.

Best to you! Hope you get it resolved soon!

Last edited by BlackTopMotors; 06-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Big Orange 78

here are some photos of the plugs. all the threads seem to have a light coat of il around them. some of them smell like gas. they all appear to look the same they have grayish deposits on one side, and a little scorching on the other.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
Big Orange 78

Question Re: Engine Chugging and Vibrations

I was reading somewhere that edelbrock carburetors like about 4.5-6psi. if i need to replace the fuel pump, will i need to get a regulator as well?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Big Orange 78

took it for a drive and the surging and the chugging seems to have gone away. but the vibration remains. all my weights are still on rims, everything has fluid in it... i.e. trans, diffs, transfer case. drive shaft still has the weight on it. its really bad at 50 mph and especially noticable when i let off the gas. when i let completely off the gas it goes away. but it is seems to be a pulsing vibration from the front end right side. thats just what i can feel while driving it.

Last edited by Big Orange 78; 06-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 AM   #15
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Quote:
took it for a drive and the surging and the chugging seems to have gone away. but the vibration remains. all my weights are still on rims, everything has fluid in it... i.e. trans, diffs, transfer case. drive shaft still has the weight on it. its really bad at 50 mph and especially noticable when i let off the gas. when i let completely off the gas it goes away. but it is seems to be a pulsing vibration from the front end right side. thats just what i can feel while driving it.
when my truck did that,(vibration) i dropped a drivers side upper ball joint, put the tire thru the fender. Come to find out every joint is toast, my camber, toe is way off due to steering and ball joint slop, she pushes like a duck down the road.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 AM   #16
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Quote:
okay imma say it..... U Joints!?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Big Orange 78

as i was driving this mourning and i was turning into the parking lot i could hear a loud clunk as i turned my wheels to the right. further investigation.... my right side ball joints are crap... not one... but both. so that pretty much sums up the vibration problem. thanks for everybodys help. gonna replace my ball joints this weekend hopefully it will fix the problem.

Thanks for all the advice and help!!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
notyo_cheez

Cool Re: Engine Chugging and Vibrations

Quote:
as i was driving this mourning and i was turning into the parking lot i could hear a loud clunk as i turned my wheels to the right. further investigation.... my right side ball joints are crap... not one... but both. so that pretty much sums up the vibration problem. thanks for everybodys help. gonna replace my ball joints this weekend hopefully it will fix the problem.

Thanks for all the advice and help!!
Suggestion: depending on the age of the other steering/suspension pieces do uppers and lowers on both sides, and while you're at it replace upper and lower control arm bushings as well. Spend a little bit more on the poly bushings and you'll only have to do it once. You'll need a spring compressor and a pickle fork, some WD40, an entire afternoon and a LOT of patience. Find an auto parts house or machine shop that has a hydraulic press and do the bushings and lower ball joints for you while you wait, and save yourself a ton of grief.