The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
jgarverick

Road Trip Stories

So Jons cross country trip thread made me start thinking of past roadtrips and some of the crazy things that happened on them.

The first trip I took my 64 on was down to my uncles in SC when I was at Fort Bragg NC in 2003 or so. I was driving down I95 with my buddy Frank. About half way there and we're just cruising along. I had my hand on the shifter (4 spd floor shift) when the stupid thing just fell over. Apparently whoever installed the handle hadn't bothered to use locknuts, lock washers or loctite. So my buddy pulled out a leatherman and took the shifter boot off and then shoved the two ends of the leathermans needle nose pliers into the two mounting holes and held them there until i got off the highway and into a hardware store parking lot. Ended well, but I was sure nervous for a second doing 75 down I95 with the shifter laying on the floorboard. I've had other things go wrong, but I'd have to say that one was the most unique.

Anyone else have something strange happen to them on a roadtrip?

64 C10 SWB Stepside 350/muncie - 5.3 vortec (soon)Thread
69 AMC Javelin 360/auto - 417 stroker (soon)
68 Scout (Basketcase)
06 Ram HEMI SWB Reg Cab Daily Driver

US Army Vet
jgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote