The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Angry No correct 70 GMC grills for sale?

Help! Just recieved my AFTERMARKET Grill from Classic Industries....supposed to be all chrome for a 70....It's got black paint on it like a 71-72!
Called them up and THERE ALL PAINTED LIKE THAT.
Called Classic Parts of America....SAME THING!
LMC's Catalog shows THE SAME THING!
Tried calling GMC Paul's...no answer?
WTH?
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: No correct 70 GMC grills for sale?

Called Classic Industries....same thing.
Looks like I'm going to have to get the paint off of this one.
You would think these companys would would know that these are incorrect for 68-70 trucks..and at over $400 bucks apiece!
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
JimmyFloyd

If you need a correct inner for a 70, I have a nice one. Didn't know that the 70 outer was all chrome. Do you have pictures of what's incorrect for future reference?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFloyd View Post
If you need a correct inner for a 70, I have a nice one. Didn't know that the 70 outer was all chrome. Do you have pictures of what's incorrect for future reference?
Hey Jimmy, it's for a GMC, like in my Avitar.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
808humbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Help! Just recieved my AFTERMARKET Grill from Classic Industries....supposed to be all chrome for a 70....It's got black paint on it like a 71-72!
WTH?

try super muscle parts in sacramento.....they have all kinds of stuff you wouldnt think they would have!

as for GMC paul's they only do online correspondence...the number is a fax number...(i just ordered stuff from them)

hope you find what you're looking for!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
jackyl9999

I bought one from classic truck parts. I believe.... When I received it, It had the black paint on it. The center had the paint already wore off from the box rubbing on it. I called and compliained, they told me all the grills came with this paint. They eventually knocked off some money, and told me that it would be easy to remove it, but I could return it if I wanted.

I wiped it down with paint thinner. It took maybe 5 minutes.
Attached Images

1990 K1500 Daily

jackyl9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

it's more than just paint though. The center of a 71/72 grill is not the same as a 68 - 70. I was under the impression they used to have it right.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
WTH?
RenoKeene,
Try this thread as far as the correct Grill for our GMC Trucks here at:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402735

I have a 72 GMC Short Fleet and had the "Flat Black Grill".
I learned (by the Thread above) that the ALL the Grills will fit any year GMC (If I read it correctly), but it was (what I call) the upper Hood Lip piece that is "year specific" to our Trucks.
I have seen "Brothers" I believe that have "All Chrome Grill",
(or at least they say they do).
I was ordering a set of Horns from LMC last week, and they only have 1 Girl that answers the phones, and she has NO KNOWLEDGE of any Technical info.
So when I asked if she could connect me to a Tech,
she told me that LMC HAS NO TECH SUPPORT!!
I can't believe that 2 different companies would show pictures of Black Grills/Chrome Grills, but then tell you "that they all come with a Black Painted Insert". Seems like False advertising to me.
I just picked up a catalog from the "Truck Shop" in Orange County Ca.
They show a ....
"Chrome GMC Grille with No GMC Impression on Center Paint Line"
Part #68-006022 $369.00 (Page 6/Catalog for June 2010).
Now what I did in the mean time was take Zip Strip (had to apply 5 coats over a 2 hour period) to take off 90% of the Black Paint. Then I used #0000 Steel Wool to Finish it off, (Pictures Below).
Its the "Original Grille" so its a 50 Footer, but will do until I either find a NEW Chrome Grill or buy a NEW Chrome Grill with a Black insert and take the paint off the NEW grille.

Hope that helped........
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

We have been trying to get the manufacture to stop painting the 68-70 grills since they first come out. They are correct as far as the grill not having the raised pattern where the grill isn't painted, they just won't stop painting them! (For reasons I can't explain) Acitone will wash the paint off the grill and it should be good after that. We have always washed the paint off the grills before they leave our shop. PIA, but what do you do when nobody listens. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Rochlow

I bought one from GMCPauls.. It was the early style grill, just was taped off and painted. I was alittle pissed being how much I payed for it. Called them and they told me to talk acetone and it would come off.

After three hours I had it all off..
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

Wes, that's good to know the stamping is right... and awesome that you go the extra step.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Paint stripper takes it off lickity split. The manufacturer could save itself some money doing this thing right. How odd they are not thinking that way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Thanks for all the input.
What blows me away about this is the companies I talked to didn't even realize they are advertising and selling incorrect parts (Wes is the exception). This includes venders on this forum.
Since I can't buy a correct one I started stripping the paint off the one from Classic Industries...2 hours latter I'm half done, paint thinner and 0000 steel wool.
Now I know why they painted them...to hide the massive stamping flaws! This thing is junk, and of course now that I started stripping it I'm stuck with it, $429.99 list.
I'll try to post a pic of the "wrinkles" but chrome is hard to photograph (for me).

For those of you trying to restore your 68-70 GMC make sure you let your supplier know these are incorrect and negotiate the price down ahead of time.

As for the stamping flaws..I hope the Chinese are using the same tooling for their weapons systems.

I would also like to know what our moderators and venders have to say about this.

As big as this hobby is and the amount of hard earned money we spend on it I think we deserve a whole lot better.

Brad
Attached Images

97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Last edited by RenoKeene; 06-07-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Classic Heartbeat

I agree, but once they got it in their heads they are right, you darn near can't change their minds. It took over 4 years to convince them that the window frames were wrong on the doors, and I even sent pictures of them mounted to a truck several times over the years. They also have a truck over there to test fit parts with, but it would seem they refuse to use it.. Does't make sence to me. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Paint stripper takes it off lickity split. The manufacturer could save itself some money doing this thing right. How odd they are not thinking that way.
Hi Special-K, I have some Aircraft Stripper, do you think it's safe to use on chrome? If it is it sure would save me some trouble (my hands are beat-up pretty bad).
Thanks, Brad
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

a bump for all my GMC buds...
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
Classic Heartbeat

I would contact Classic Industries about it. If it has big flaws, that is different than being able to remove some paint. I would think that they would work with you on it.
Getting the Taiwan manufacturers to fix a problem is worce than pulling hens teeth. This is why I refuse to sell parts that are problematic. (doors for example) After years of emailing and being told that all I was doing was to try to get credit for my parts, a light bulb went off in someone's head. Hey lets check what Wes was talking about! Then magicly the doors were fixed. They still didn't address the gap for the roll up window nor increase the thickness of the metal, but you could at least bolt them to your truck. I am also happy to report that they have since started punching doors from thicker metal (and they still fit). I could go on and on, but I won't. I will just continue to do business the way I do and warn people of problems that I know about with parts.
RenoKeene, I appologize for going off on a tangent on your post. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Hey Wes, thats why I posted this thread...so people could go off on buying substandard parts for large sums of money. So far you are the ONLY vendor with the nads to tell it like it is. I know for a fact that Classic Industries monitors this site, so does Classic parts America along with Early Classic and GMC Paul. I am sure LMC doesn't as they have a don't give a damn attitude.
As far as this grill goes...I'm going to try and make it work, I don't expect any of the other vendors can do any better. I am VERY DISAPOINTED in this purchase.
The next time I plan on spending a large sum on one part I'll call you first.
Thanks Wes,
Brad
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
Classic Heartbeat

I look at this way. I got to look at you across the counter as another enthusiest like me. I can't claim ignorance, or actualy I could, but I couldn't look you in the eye when I did. My customers talk to me all the time, and I receive lots of feedback on parts that I may not have worked with myself. I try to keep that all in mind and talk to my suppliers about fixing problems that arise. The problem usualy isn't at the supplier's level, it is at the manufacturer. It can take less time to develope a part than to fix a problem that has occured because the tooling has become problematic. Sad but true. I can just pull my hair out at times because it seems like it would be too simple to fix, and then you wouldn't have as many complaints about the quality. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #20
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Talked to Steve at Classic Ind. Sent him some more pics. He said he would get back to me, we'll see what he has to say.
Seems like this was news to him. How can these guys not know about this screw-up?
It would be much cheaper for the mfg (China) to NOT PAINT THE 68-70 Grills! What's wrong with these people.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
Classic Heartbeat

Some companies either do not know what they are selling, or if they do, they do not know the subtle differences between years. They get the parts in boxes and because the box says one thing that makes it true. That suprises me a little about Classic Industries. They have a research department and I would have thought they would know the difference. From what I have heard about them, they are a good company so I think that they will treat you fairly. Fingers crossed for you..lol WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #22
1970CustomCamper

Hi there. I just wanted to let you know that I have a 1970 GMC Custom Camper that has the black paint on top of the chrome. It was original on my truck. Ca truck. Don't know if that helps.
Danny
1970 GMC Custom Camper 3/4 ton, 350 automatic, th350 tranny, PS, 4 wheel drums, 8 lug steelies, Dana 60 rear end, Spanish Cedar & stainless wood bed, new interior, California truck w/ no rust (maybe just a little). daily driver, work truck & tow vehicle that wants to be a show truck someday...
1970CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #23
Longhorn Man

you sure it is original? You sure it wasn't damaged 30 or 40 years ago and that's all they had?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #24
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970CustomCamper View Post
Hi there. I just wanted to let you know that I have a 1970 GMC Custom Camper that has the black paint on top of the chrome. It was original on my truck. Ca truck. Don't know if that helps.
Danny
68-70 were all chrome..no paint. Maybe yours was a real late production run and has a 71 grill on it. If the center vertical is flat where it is painted it is a 71 or 72, if it comes to a point then it is the correct stamping with incorrect paint...just like the re-pop one on this post.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Update...Steve from Classic Industries called and apologized last night. They checked their stock and he agrees that they probably painted these to hide the stamping flaws. Problem is you can't see the flaws until you strip the paint off...then of course you can't send it back because it's been tampered with.

Anyway, Steve was real nice and said he would help me out on future purchases.

The whole point of this post was to keep someone from spending a ton of $$$ on something they are not going to be happy with....like me.

So fellow GMC buds...if your going to buy a repop 68-70 grill from ANY VENDER ask the questions up front, have them open the boxes and take a look...before you send them your paycheck.

Hope this helps.
Brad
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"