The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
HEI451
Account Suspended

Two tone paint pictures

Having a little bit of idle time to spend waiting for more parts for my 64 C30 flatbed, I am looking over paint and paint schemes.

I haven't yet got to the point of actual paint, but like the daylights out of two tone trucks of this era. Am still in a quandary as to just where the change line should be, center of the hood, or at the hood lower line.

I think I'd like something like appliance white for the top color, and banner red for the lower, black for the flatbed, white wheels, bumper and mudflaps. Then, I'll make magnetic signs for the doors, for my motorcycle repair business, and the small body HEI business.

anyone got pics of their, or other two tone paint trucks??? Doesn't matter what colors they are, I'd like to see them all, please.

Thanks
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
First66

Re: Two tone paint pictures

This might help.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=tone+paint

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=tone+paint
First66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
rdlackey

Good luck on your choice!
Attached Images

rdlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
HEI451
Account Suspended

Thanks to both of you. Late last evening, after posting this topic, I found a pictures page, with over 110 posts, got through 10 pages, and the links above, and had to get my ugly sleep.

rd, that truck is flat BEAUTIFUL.

My thoughts are to take the body line at the center of the hood all the way around the cab, one paint color above the line, the other below it. Since I don't have to worry about a bed, it should be easy to paint when I pull the flatbed off to paint it.

PLEASE, everyone, keep posting your two tone paint info, it is greatly appreciated, and, from the other pages and pictures, man, don't we have a great hobby in our trucks.

Yesterday, as I traveled down West Street in Yerington, I saw sitting in a drive way, an early truck like ours, with camper, NICE, I will stop and see if I can take a couple of pictures of it, and ask someone to help me post them, IF the owner agrees. I never have figured out how to post pictures. I can e/mail /em, but post to a web site, this moron/idiot has NO clue.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
yelmer

red white
Attached Images

yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
oem4me

You know, I have seen quite a few examples of trucks painted in two colors, divided at the center of the hood line like you suggest, and to be honest, it just looks wrong ...to me anyway.
One factory GMC scheme is to move the dividing line just a bit lower. Hood one color, the fender another. To me, this looks a little better.
I would check factory sales literature for color combo ideas that were tested and proven successful.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
HEI451
Account Suspended

I did an experiment a few days ago. My neighbor has a portable sand blaster, which his kid managed to plug up solid with Nevada DIRT, he was blasting bicycle frames with DIRT. So, I took the blaster, made the dirt into mud, finally got the thing cleaned out and rilled with 30 grit blasting sand, and did one panel the way I described in the first place, and the other, completely one color.

I just used spray paint, but, I agree oem, my first plan just doesn't cut it. I really do like two different ways now, one form the hood closing line down one color, red, and above, white, and the other, as is in the pictures, from the lower window line down, red, above, white. Mine won't have the body enhancement lines, no side trim, and no bed, so, it should be easy to get the paint laid on and done.

Now that I have the sand blaster, it will be easy to get the old and spray paints off the body, when the new paint time cones soon.

Thanks for the help, opened my eyes to a good looking truck paint, as opposed to the one thought out by Goober and Gomer Pyle.