The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2003, 05:17 PM   #1
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Question 67-72 frames; trailing arms vs leaf springs

I have a 72 longbed with leaf springs and I want a shortbed frame. All of the shortbed frames I have found have the trailing arm/coil rear suspensions. Has anyone swapped a rear leaf spring setup onto a frame that was previously a trailing arm/coil rear? If so, what all is involved, new holes, welding, etc? Many thanks.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:30 PM   #2
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Why do you want to go from Trailing arm to Leaf? Thats not a wise thing.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Hey Reumster, here you have someone asking for information to make himself more aware of his options, and your post does nothing to help him.

Can you elaborate on your post and tell him why you feel that using a short wheel base frame with rear leaf is not a wise thing. We are here to learn.....
Old 03-31-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Winston Cup cars use springs and trailing arms...........
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
Yellow Cheyenne

Converted a 69 chevy with coil to leaf-both were long beds. Frame itself isn't different, but you will have to drill several holes. Also, I would recommend having the vehicles side-by-side when doing the conversion. There are many little brackets that are different from leaf to coil. Also, the drive shaft assembly is different. The leaf should have a carrier bearing that is half moon shaped, the coil should be a tear drop looking bearing. The ebrake cables are different, as well as the brackets that hold them. Also, when changing drive shafts, you will probably have to change the input on the differential as the u-joints are different sized. Those are all of the things that I can think of off hand (it's been at least 6 years since we did the conversion). It can be done, took us a couple of days. No welding was required. Depending on what you are planning to do with the pickup when done, people generally consider the trailing arm set up as better for racing (less wheel hop) and ride. The leafs are more stable and therefore work nicer for towing.
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:56 PM   #6
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Sorry I was in a hurry when I posted. Girl freind was wanting something, and it was going to be the end of the world if she didn't get it! LOL I didn't finish.

Yes Nascar use almost the exact trailing arm length as on 2wd 1/2ton Chevys from 60-72. And the length of the arm plays a huge roll, in the arc the rear end travels. Drasitically reducing arc. Thous making the suspension design superior. And with bags you now have the best of all worlds travel, and veriable rate springs all in one set-up. Cheaply. State of the art rear solid axle design bar none!

Even a 4X4 would benifit from trailing arms and air bags. Look at some of the baja test trucks/jump trucks.

Trailing arms are better for drags, and flat out better than any other suspension what ever your doing, when combined with bags that is. Look at new tractor trailers, sort of trailing arm with bags ,and pan hard bars. 300psi bags and trailing arms are superior to leafs in towing also.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL

Last edited by Reumster; 03-31-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:45 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I got "stuck "with leafs on the longhorn, but have learned to live with them. If you run a set of slapper bars, that will take care of the wheel hop. IMO , the leaf trucks handle flatter(less roll in the corners), & I love it when hanging exhaust! Also, if you plan to haul.......leaf , hands down! Yellow Cheyenne has you covered on the swap.......good luck,crazyL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:58 PM   #8
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Given the difference in ride quality, I don't think I'd ever go from coils to leaves...but given the complexity of the swap, I'm not going to convert my leaf-spring truck anytime soon.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:47 PM   #9
67cst
i love summertime

i have leafs on my 67 short step, i think trailing arms are cool cause they ride nice but the leafs are a lot easyer when doing exhaust, i think there is more room for mufflers etc. i dont know enough to argue one way or another so im not going to choose, ive just heard horror stories of guys locking the brakes up with trailing arms and their rear ends twist up

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:50 PM   #10
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Thanks for the help.

I really want leaf springs, not interested in air bags, so I think I will shorten the frame of the long bed and swap out the drive shaft for a one-piece unit. Unless of course.... I find a short bed frame with coils. Thanks again, Greg
Old 03-31-2003, 10:55 PM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

I got a little bit of both worlds! I don't know how long the helpers are gonna stay.
Attached Images

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:11 AM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Woah, never seen that style of helpers...that wasn't listed on the glove box was it? The only type I have ever seen was mounted to the rear of the truck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:19 AM   #13
krue
Designated A-hole!

I'll post a pic of the option list, but as far as I know the day the truck was bought new the PO had tool boxes, towing receiver, goose neck hitch and helpers installed. That is only an educated guess (in other words I really don't know).
Attached Images

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:50 AM   #14
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

My dad had those same helpers onour old 69. I think he bought them from JC Whitney. Really helped out with the in bed camper we had...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote