The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
lolo_64

Porterbuilt DM & Safety

Been lookin at the forums for while..

I have a 64 longbed. Want a PB DM. But is seems like no one really talks about when the bags go out? i have seen the the other post on reg bump stops on lower arms. Are there any solutions out there for PB method? I mean if your front bag goes out your basically screwed right? Any of you guys had a bag go out with a DM? I love the way the DM trucks look, but is it worth it? It seems kinda scary to be driving on the highway at 60 and your always freaking out if the bags are going to go out? I understand the nature of the beast to have some draw backs, but kinda seems like a big deal?

Thanks guys!
lolo_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
roofingbloke

Re: Porterbuilt DM & Safety

This is a very good point, scuff point with either bag blow out or flat tyre,

I dont think its fair to just point out PB, without mentioning others also,

from what i can see PB do great ammounts of research on there products before offering them to the likes of us,
roofingbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
OARNGESI

You can put a bumpstop so if it fails itll be raised enough to drive then take them out for shows
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
newagecustom
c10 Chop Artist

I have been driving bagged trucks for 10 years, never had a bag blow out. Lost a few airlines though. Everything now is 4 corners so if you lost a bag or airline or valve it's usually going to be 1 corner only. I've never almost wrecked or lost control of a truck because of a corner going down, but if it worries you that much bags probably aren't for you.
newagecustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
edflores

I remember i drove like 20 miles with my front right down because of a blown line. Not cool. I had a line on my tank rip because my muffler was too close and I had only about 20 seconds till i laid out flat on the freeway.Im lucky I had no radio, and heard the pssssss.

Moral of the story, route your line were it wont get piched, burned, or caught on anything.
Bags dont blow for no reason if they are properly installed.
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
broey
Square

ehhh, don't worry about it, slam your ride and drive it like you stole it...
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo_64 View Post
Been lookin at the forums for while..

I have a 64 longbed. Want a PB DM. But is seems like no one really talks about when the bags go out? i have seen the the other post on reg bump stops on lower arms. Are there any solutions out there for PB method? I mean if your front bag goes out your basically screwed right? Any of you guys had a bag go out with a DM? I love the way the DM trucks look, but is it worth it? It seems kinda scary to be driving on the highway at 60 and your always freaking out if the bags are going to go out? I understand the nature of the beast to have some draw backs, but kinda seems like a big deal?

Thanks guys!
Specifc & careful routing of your airlines are the number one priority. The airline failure is the bigger concern vs. a bag blowing-out or failing instantly. As most others mentioned, set it up so that it's limited @ full drop (don't build it to lay the frame rails on the ground).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

about 12 years ago my compressor burned out on my s10 and I drove it slammed and tucking the lip of 16's for like a week...lol

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
tech@scottshotrods

I've been in the air suspension market since 99 and I have never seen a bag or line just blow, it has ALWAYS been from install or user error not enough clearance, not using rubber grommets, running lines to close to the exaust etc... even While at air ride all our tow rigs were on air, our 30 plus cars etc never any issues... make sure the bag doesn't rub, make sure the bags are kept with in there perameters, make sure you anly use D.O.T lines and fittings and you are good

Last edited by tech@scottshotrods; 06-08-2011 at 11:26 AM.
tech@scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
PBFAB.COM

You are spot on to question the safety of a frame-laying truck... as it has the potential to be very dangerous to yourself and others that share the roadways.

As many have mentioned, the key to enjoying a truck that has been extremely lowered is careful research, quality components, and proper installation.

Like John and others have mentioned, it is almost unheard of that a line or bag fails when it is properly installed. There is the possibility of this occuring even with proper installation and quality components, so it is best to plan your build with some safetys built in.

I would recommend making some removable suspension stops that will keep your rails from laying on the ground in event of an air suspension failure. You can run these stops for your everyday driving, and remove them for the shows when you want to make sure everybody knows that your frame lays on the ground!

Arm yourself with knowledge and the right components so you can help ensure a safe and fun experience for all involved.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
lolo_64

Awesome!! Thanks guys for your feedback? I was not tryin to throw PB under the bus. Its just the way I am going to go when I get the $$ together.

Porterbuilt is there and documentation on the removable suspension stops? I will love to see how to do this..
lolo_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
tech@scottshotrods

I did a set on my buds truck all we did was take a piece of square tubing notched it drilled a hole through the arm and tubing attached it to the arm with a pin to make it easy to remove and mounted a stop on the top half

Last edited by tech@scottshotrods; 06-08-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Painter D

In a worst case scenario if you have bump stops installed you'll probably be fine, if safety is your biggest concern just run bumpstops and don't worry about it.

I had a front bag deflate on me once at 110 MPH!, fortunately I have bump stops installed ,if I wouldn't of had them who knows what would have happened. ........Yes, it scared the s#$% out of me.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
tonythezeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post
In a worst case scenario if you have bump stops installed you'll probably be fine, if safety is your biggest concern just run bumpstops and don't worry about it.

I had a front bag deflate on me once at 110 MPH!, fortunately I have bump stops installed ,if I wouldn't of had them who knows what would have happened. ........Yes, it scared the s#$% out of me.

okay, i gotta know... why 110 MPH?
...and "why not" is an acceptable answer.
tonythezeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
Mad Rods
Chevy Only Tx

Cut a 2x4 to bag ride height, carry a low profile car jack, a 1/2 wrench, a 9/16 wrench & an 8" crescent. Them things will get you out of a bind!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
Painter D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythezeek View Post
okay, i gotta know... why 110 MPH?
...and "why not" is an acceptable answer.
I was on a rural road in a rural area , and no one else was on the road,

I had recently installed my 502 big block and wanted to open it up to see what it would do. When I lifted my foot off the accelerator pedal I kicked my dump switch. I have "not" gone that fast in the truck again. Like I said it scared the crap out of me

Sorry to threadjack

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5

Last edited by Painter D; 06-08-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Two words...bump stops. No matter how well the system is engineered, it is virtually impossible to guarantee 100% that it can't fail. Mine did, and it had nothing to do with the air system install.

I hit a small but very deep pot that wasn't visible till it was too late. This caused my frame to twist enough that weld ripped loose on my high flow catalytic. The result was my exhaust is now being routed down the frame rails directly at the supply line to my valves. The end result was system failure at highway speeds.

Even though my truck doesn't lay frame, this failure would have put my front tires in the fenders hard, and my A-arms on the ground. Fortunately I had insisted that bump stops were a part of the system, and was able to limp safely to a roadside rest area.

The only thing hurt was my wallet from the wrecker bill that got me home.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
mullit

am i the only one that carries spare parts for emergancy situations? a bag, some air line a couple fittings oh yeah a back up bottle of nitrogen plumed into the system if a compressor fails. not gonna cover all situations but it will cover most. never had any problems outside of a blown compressor fuse, but who dosent carry spare fuses.
mullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

12 years and 1.5 million miles in 3 different peterbilt all on air ride. Never had a bag failure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
andrewmp6

Add roadside to your car insurance most will tow it home or the closest garage.Most i seen fail was air lines ran too close to exhaust or moving parts.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #21
tech@scottshotrods

I use to carry a splice fittings, and spare air line
Old 06-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@scottshotrods View Post
I use to carry a splice fittings, and spare air line
x2. I've even loaded up a 'spare' bag for road trips. I just compressed the bag fully & put clear tape over the port to keep it compressed for easy storage. Never used it....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-10-2011 at 12:49 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote