The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Denee007

Windshield question/s

Hi~
On my '59, what would be the difficutly rating of install for a windshield? or should I just have a pro do it?
Also, does that piece in the photo just behind where the windshield goes, does it need to be removed for the windshield install?
thanks!
dne'

Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Windshield question/s

I would have a pro do it, getting the bottom corners to set right can be aggrevating and if they break it they buy a new one. When I had mine done the pro took over two hours to get it to seat right, this was in the 70's when lots of the 55-59 windshields were still being replaced. There are treads that show the process, it takes two people and if not seated right can pop back out. The trim just pops off, there are 4-5 push type clips. Good time to check for rust underneath it.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Denee007

Thanks Orrie! I'm searching for a company here in Houston, so far haven't found anyone that does old trucks! I'm sure there is someone around here! ; )
dne'
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Knothead

I installed mine myself. It took three tries to get it right. It has to be dead center or it will not seat properly.
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Denee007

radio area question too

I hope ya'll don't mind me asking so many questions~ I thought for sure I wasn't going to need as much advice~ not! lol

When I removed the trim around that hides the most bottom of the front windshield, it doens't look too fantastic underneath that trim piece. you'd think that as much time n effort that went into painting this truck, they'd have removed this piece, but nnnoooo! it's not rusted through, just rough. Now this is leading up to something else, so bear with me.
The radio hole obviously has been modified to fit who knows what. I see there's a metal piece to 'repair' that area. ok, I'm thinking a different color for the metal dash to give a little more contrast to the interior. Goodness, the entire truck is Burgundy! Any ideas for a color I don't know what color carpets are available, but I'd like to brighten the insides of the truck and not be dark n gloomy! Again, any ideas? The seats will be re-upholstered, but have plenty of time looking for options regarding a seat; maybe beigeish/or tan?

Last edited by Denee007; 06-09-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Knothead

Some of these trucks came with two tone interiors. Look for photos to get some ideas.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Denee007

Thanks Knothead, took your advice and googled dashes and came up with this "idea". Not necessarily that color, but gives me a good idea. IT'll depend of the color scheme of the interior that I'm going to use.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Some of these trucks came with two tone interiors. Look for photos to get some ideas.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Knothead

Also, most of the stuff under the trim piece may just be dried polishing compound left from when the truck was buffed? If not paint it a flat black. Most of it will be hidden when the windshield rubber is installed.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
mbgmike

after breaking a few I would hire it out. Binswangers here in Houston is who we use. Their are less expensive places but they have always gave us great service. Its getting harder to find people to put in glass in older trucks and cars and a lot of the smaller shops don't have them or they are real young in the business. They do all our stuff. They have been doing auto glass since 1947. plus they use precision gaskets

http://www.binswangerglass.com/

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-09-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added link
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
OrrieG

Original truck colors were limited on the interior. Usually dash was bombay white or tan with matte grey or body color on top part. click on the link in my signature for a manual that I think has the colors in it.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

You could go with a contrasting color on the dash and interior.
Attached Images

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Denee007

OMG~ that's beautiful Chuck! I like your truck(understatment!)! So, you don't have a radio hole? I was wondering where the heater controls went, mine has a plate where the controls would have been, that photo has helped me alot! thank you! I just can't imagine painting that entire interior cabin However, I may stick with my idea of making a lighter color beneath the upper dash after I repair the radio hole, the color would also be with the metalic and pearl, oh boy. hm, however, if I didn't have to paint the ceiling, I could probably paint it like yours~ darn, I'll never fall asleep now! lol

Mgbmike, thank you! I'll call Binswanger tomorrow and see what they say~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
You could go with a contrasting color on the dash and interior.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
dicer

These trucks came from the factory with the two tone colors that you posted as standard. I know they did different things later on and with the cameo's. As far as the windshield goes, I ran into a write up where a fellow did it all by himself. And thats how I plan to do it. I may make a fixture or jig to help. Actually I think the windshield would be easier than drilling spot welds and replacing panels. Or installing the headliner rubber, I hear its not fun either. I can't tell what that is in your picture behind the pinch weld, but to hold the moulding on there are little spot welded brackets that spring type clips fit into to hold it on. I have read that you want to get the windshield rubber from a good outfit, because some do not work very good. I think Steele is the good one.
Heres a video to show you how to do it.

The shop manual says there is a sealant to put in areas, when my windshield came out it had some sealant on some areas, it was still sticky.

Last edited by dicer; 06-09-2011 at 10:17 PM.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
dicer

https://secure.steelerubber.com/search_frameset.php

Heres some more info.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
1956chevtruck

Re: radio area question too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
I hope ya'll don't mind me asking so many questions~ I thought for sure I wasn't going to need as much advice~ not! lol

When I removed the trim around that hides the most bottom of the front windshield, it doens't look too fantastic underneath that trim piece. you'd think that as much time n effort that went into painting this truck, they'd have removed this piece, but nnnoooo! it's not rusted through, just rough. Now this is leading up to something else, so bear with me.
The radio hole obviously has been modified to fit who knows what. I see there's a metal piece to 'repair' that area. ok, I'm thinking a different color for the metal dash to give a little more contrast to the interior. Goodness, the entire truck is Burgundy! Any ideas for a color I don't know what color carpets are available, but I'd like to brighten the insides of the truck and not be dark n gloomy! Again, any ideas? The seats will be re-upholstered, but have plenty of time looking for options regarding a seat; maybe beigeish/or tan?

So, first off get a pro to put your windshield in. They are a pain in the arse to get just right. Here's what I did with my dash colour, it's Cameo scheme.
Byron
Attached Images

1956chevtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
Denee007

So some trucks didn't come with radios and no provision for a radio? interesting! So is your truck an automatic or standard? I don't see a hole for the cluctch pedal, but you have a shifter? I could do a cameo, just figuriing out a color to use is trying my brain. The extra holes for guages looks like a great idea too!

Dicer, that video of the glass installation~ they make it look easy! But that's not a very curved winshield either!
Well, no sense calling for glass until I can make the decision of painting the interior of the cab! I'm getting ahead of myself. Wouldn't want to paint after glass is put in. I think maybe something closer to Chuckdrivers dash color could work with my exterior color or something close. The lighter colors really brighten the cab ~ the dark color in mine is gloomy n dark.
thank ya'll for all the input!
So, 1) repair dash for the radio
2)remove the heater core(its leaking anyway and will be going with an aftermarket ac)
3) Go to Ken brault paint and go through their color books to find my interior color
4) Do the side window one piece glass intall before painting the interior cab

I need to ask this, but can I just scuff the existing paint, shoot some primer over it, then the color of choice? I'd hate to have to strip that burgundy paint off!!
dne'
Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
mbgmike

Yes anyone can do a video to show how easy it is. Every piece of glass and vehicle is different even though methods are the same.. Try doing a 1960 t-bird and not get it to leak. We used to put glass in all the time. the truck in the video are rather easy. If doing your self inspect the glass edge. any little nick in it is where it will crack. All you have to do is break a few when its out of your pocket and have to pay and you will decide to leave it to the glass guys. back glass is easy on trucks.

Yes on the paint. no need to strip off existing if properly applied

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-10-2011 at 08:29 AM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
1956chevtruck

It's an automatic with a Lokar shifter. I filled in the radio spot because directly behind where the radio is supposed to go, I have my computer for the LT1.
Byron
1956chevtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
OrrieG

All trucks came with an oval hole with two round ones on each side for a radio. If a radio was not ordered there was a delete plate that snapped into the hole and two blank round fillers that went in the knob holes. Chevy plate had the bowtie embossed, GMC was a blank plate.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 06-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
Denee007

While I'm "destroying" what's already been destroyed~ lol~ kidding, I plan for this to come out nicely!
I was thinking~ since I'm going to have to cut/weld in and I"m changing the entire color of the interior cab, why not make the area for the radio accomadate a rectagular shaped radio like at Best Buy(example). I put a Bluetooth in my '67 mustang and it's better than what's in my '11 CX9! Just thinking here. I guess there's no right or wrong these days, or like my dad would say, "what ever blows up your skirt!" love you Dad!
You guys are great!
Heading to the garage to move my lift over and make more room to work on the Apache!
I'll be moving to a build thread soon, but I guess it's ok to post questions here as needed, or do people migrate to my build thread?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Actually that's not my dash, just a photo I had. If you look in my thread you can see how I changed mine.

If it were me I would repair your dash back to the original state and put in an original looking radio with a Ipod or USB input.

http://www.casmfg.com/Chevy_GMC_Truck_Radios.htm

Last edited by ChuckDriver; 06-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
OrrieG

mods can migrate your thread to build section.

If you do not want the original look then weld in a panel that matches what ever audio you want. The ones that fit range from marginal quality (brand C) to better (the other brand) but are still not as good as a Best Buy $150 (insert name brand here). I fixed and kept mine because I have potential future plans for the original hole and dial holes, you can buy the knobs and station lense separately and wanted the stock radio delete look for now. My audio when I can afford it is going under the seat with a remote and ipod, etc player.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #23
01spirit750

I had the body shop who painted my truck install the front windshield. I helped and it wasn't too hard, but the painter had installed many of these before and knew how to do it.

We actually had a much harder time with the rear wrap around window.

I guess experience is critical.

Last edited by 01spirit750; 06-10-2011 at 09:11 PM.
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote