The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2003, 09:04 PM   #1
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

how do you get off the vacum advance?

My truck likes to gulp the gas (or bog) when I blip the throttle. I just rebuilt the carb and it did this before I rebuilt it. The carb seems to work fine, but the bogging is still there. So I checked around this site a little and found out that my vacum advance could be the problem. So I took the line off my carb and blew into it and I did not see the advance move at all. Do I need to blow really hard to do this? Anyways, I figured I would try and take it off and mess with it. Well I got the cap and rotor off ( my truck has a points type distributor just to clarify things) and I can't seem to get to the screws. My question is: Do I have to take the points and everything else off to get to the vacum advance unit or can I do it without having to take everything apart? I don't want to have to adjust the points 'cause I don't have any feeler gauges just a crapy step spark plug gauge I got from kragen and that's why I'm asking.

Thanks,

Rusty
Old 03-31-2003, 09:16 PM   #2
oldsub86

I don't claim to be an expert on rebuilding distributors so someone else may point out errors that I may make here. However, here goes.
1. vacuum not pressure. Put the hose on the fitting on the advance unit on the distributor. Stick the other end in your mouth and suck on it rather than blowing. Does the mechanism move the plate on which the points are attached? If not then maybe the diaphram in the unit is open.

2. you may also want to check the mechanical advance. Is this an 8 or a 6? Are the springs and weights on top or under neath?
Are they attached. Does anything look worn?
How long have you had the truck? Has it always been like this or is this something new that is happening? IE could someone have changed the weights and or springs and in doing so buggered it up? There are kits out there to adjust these with different weight springs etc.

3. the last one I took apart was from a 302 F*rd. If I recall with it, I drove out a roll pin in the bottom gear and then the whole shaft slipped out of the housing so that I could get at the parts under the mounting plate.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:33 PM   #3
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

1. Duh, vacum I should have known better. Boy do I feel dumb. I needed to suck not blow I'll try that after dinner.

2. I have a V8 307 and the springs are on top right underneth the rotor. The springs are attached and I tried them and they spring open and closed fine and it all looks ok just a little dirty. When I bought the truck it was doing this, so it's nothing new just a matter of finding the problem.

3. I'll check the housing underneath for a roll pin. That'll make getting at it a lot more easier. I guess I'm being lazy and I just need to mark it and pull it then mess with it a little.

Anything else I might check for?

Thanks,

Rusty
Old 03-31-2003, 10:53 PM   #4
jhow66

To remove the can you have to push the plate counterclockwise and remove the screws at the same time.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:58 PM   #5
jhow66

As to the bog make sure the pump rod moves at the same time time as throttle shaft.Is it a 2 bar. Rochester?
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:03 AM   #6
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Yeah, it's a two barrel rochester. So you can move the plate to get at the screws, I should have fiddle with it a little bit more thanks!
Old 04-01-2003, 01:08 AM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

Your engine should be running around 20" vacuum, unless you are superman you probably can't suck near that hard. I use a vacuum pump I bought to bleed brakes with to check vacuum operated parts.

Just my 2 cents.

$30 dollars at Sears, priceless if you have to bleed ur brakes all by ur lonesome!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:13 AM   #8
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

lol that's funny! No I don't think I can suck that hard. Maybe I'll have to pickup a prostitute to give my motor a blow job