The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Building drawers, or modular drawer/cabinets?

My antique Snap-on top and bottom box is always in the way, so I'm thinking of building or buying some drawers or a cabinet setup to bolt to the workbench.

The space under the bench is about 29x58. The bench is 3' high, 6' long, and 3' deep. It started life as a motorcycle building table and got shortened from 8' long and new longer legs added after the bike was rolled off. I've since added some shelves mounted to it above the top.

Being lazy, I'd lean toward buying a couple banks of drawers in a cabinet. I suspect this will get expensive.

Being cheap, I'd rather build something from wood. Probably a decent hardwood for the faces, and maybe poplar for the sides and backs.

The wood solution makes me wonder about drawer bottoms and wasted space vs the compactness of metal drawers.

Of course, when I start thinking of doing the drawer thing, I start to think the workbench will be outclassed by the drawers and so it should be scrapped and a new one bought (in case of bought drawers), or built.

Anyone have a similar setup, or thoughts, and care to comment, or offer an opinion?

Here are a few links to the modular solutions:

http://www.storloc.com/
http://www.stanleyvidmar.com/products/cabinets/drawers
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
NONHOG

Re: Building drawers, or modular drawer/cabinets?

I'd consider Craftsman or HF (if you dare) for the bottom boxes as bench supports. Seems to me it would work slick. In fact I wish i went that route.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Why is the clearance only 29" on yours? Pics would help.

I agree with NONHOG; look for quality bottom mechanics boxes and make them fit...you can also buy
used and save bundles over other options. Great drawer guides, metal construction, etc.
A standard MAC bottom box, without wheels is 35" high (without lip for top box).
Obviously, you will have to modify your existing bench top around it.

You can also build your own, it's not that hard, but requires wood working tools and a bit of learning.
You can buy drawer side material in 8' lengths and the bottoms can be simply 1/8-1/4" plywood.
You can also build cabinets from "found" drawers.
The face frames are going to need stocks ranging from 1 1/4" to 3" depending on your design.
And drawer guides. And glue. And clamps. And table saw. And...
This route will take time and be pricey. And addictive.

You can also easily modify old kitchen cabinets to suit your need but you will have to address the available
space you have. If you like a nice, luxurious, old-world feel, this would be the way to go. And quite simple.

Base cabinets are 34 1/2 high (without the countertop) but on some older and custom cabinets,
some of that is a separate toe kick. Very doable in your case and if you have a "house recycling yard"
near, some fabulous finds can be had. Imagine your garage with walnut, birch, knotty pine or ...

Sorry for the long-winded post but, having been a custom cabinet maker for years plus being a serious
clutter-bug/stuff collector...I have a vested interest in the subject.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
...Of course, when I start thinking of doing the drawer thing, I start to think the workbench will be outclassed by the drawers...

Missed that part of your comment...

Jeepers!! Contrast adds interest!
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

The bottom boxes idea is interesting, but I was hoping for some not so deep drawers like in a top box as well.

The room under the bench may be a bit funny in that the top is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, and the frame for the top is 2x6. The tabletop height is 36" from the floor. It was made for an FLH to be built on and I tend to overbuild things, so its a pretty beefy workbench. I can lengthen the legs a bit, or scrap it entirely.

I'm not too interested in kitchen cabinets repurposed, since the drawers would be too big.

I have no shortage of tools, clamps, tablesaw, routers, router table, etc. I like tools and while not much of a carpenter/cabinetmaker, I've built a few pieces of furniture.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Heh, I checked the price on a cabinet similar to what I'm thinking. $1550.00 and I'd need two.

http://www.stanleyvidmar.com/quicksh...gured-cabinets

Maybe I'll set things up so my existing bottom box goes under the bench and the top box is next to it, or on the bench.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Altec
Getcha Pull

Check out Enco maybe? They have a good selection of storage.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
pat 70/71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
The bottom boxes idea is interesting, but I was hoping for some not so deep drawers like in a top box as well.

The room under the bench may be a bit funny in that the top is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, and the frame for the top is 2x6. The tabletop height is 36" from the floor. It was made for an FLH to be built on and I tend to overbuild things, so its a pretty beefy workbench. I can lengthen the legs a bit, or scrap it entirely.

I'm not too interested in kitchen cabinets repurposed, since the drawers would be too big.

I have no shortage of tools, clamps, tablesaw, routers, router table, etc. I like tools and while not much of a carpenter/cabinetmaker, I've built a few pieces of furniture.
I am a cabinet maker , take the time and do it your self(with all those tools) and I'm sure it will be perfect! best of luck! cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote