The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
bodman

SRW to DRW conversion question

Hey there,
I really tried to research this before posting a new thread but couldn't find what I was looking for, so here goes. I've got a 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 that is pretty rough, hence it's my farm truck pretty much. It's got a flat bed, and I'm interested in putting a DRW setup under it. So, not being the expert wrench turner and trying to keep things as simple as possible, what would be the best way to accomplish this?

I'm looking for simple, reliable and strong underneath. The frame does have cracks near the spring brackets (will need to be welded and reinforced), so that will be needed prior to using it to get firewood off our hill and hauling other heavy loads.

I'm thinking this should be pretty simple but I haven't figured it out yet. Also, I don't have a picture as the truck isn't here right now. I
Old 06-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
lukefalls

Re: SRW to DRW conversion question

Find a later model 73+ dually and take the axles out if it. It should have a Dana 60 front and a Corporate 14 bolt rear (some have Dana 70 rears). These axles are almost completely bolt it. You'll need new u-bolts and adjust the steering. That is the quickest and easiest way.

You should have an Eaton HO-52 or HO-72 rear axle now (although some did get Dana 60 rears). The front should be am 8 lug Dana 44 with locking hubs that bolt onto the outside of the hub. I've seen big wheel spacers to convert these to dually hubs. I highly recommend against it!

The Dana 44 housing was never designed to the added leverage of Dually width wheels. Also, the bearings are relatively small compared to a Dana 60. Finally, the brakes are much smaller. These deficiencies in the Dana 44 will haunt you if you convert to a dual wheel setup. Also note that Dana 44 axles shafts are smaller too.

Last edited by lukefalls; 06-12-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling
lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
bodman

Re: SRW to DRW conversion question

Luke,
Thanks for the response. I was thinking something like that. Today I spoke to a mechanic friend who said he thought the existing setup I have underneath it would handle dual wheels, I would just need to get the right kind of rims. We looked at it and he said he thought there would be enough room.

I admit I'm more of a carpenter than a mechanic. Having said that I've rebuilt a VW engine before and pulled and replaced an inline 6 cyl in my old 62 C10 many moons ago.