The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2003, 04:22 AM   #1
lost wages

need new air bags

im redoing the rear of my truck, it had the firestone 2500? bags, i want something a little larger, who can get them for me? What would be a good bag? i dont need a super fast bag, i just want more lift. heres a hint at what im doing.
Attached Images

lost wages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:41 AM   #2
Dropt72Shortbed

airlifts new gen 2 bags have slightly more lift than firestones, slam specialties have a couple more inches. if your really into lift you should move the backs further up the trailing arm or redesign the suspension.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:31 AM   #3
lowsinthe20s

Slam speicalties bags

I would get slam speicalties bags. The rs-72 is a dirrect replacment for the firestone 2600# and provides a max lift of 11" the firestones are only 8" . I had firestone for three years . They where ok , but the slam bags are alot better made bag plus more lift. You can get them at http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/slamspecdoub.html

There $89.95 each and I think they still have free shipping this is the cheapest place I have seen them.
lowsinthe20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
orange72

where are you placing the bags at. im sure the bags wont be placed in stock location because then you wouldnt be taking full advatage of that step notch. why not try to fab mounts on the trailing arms farther towards the crossmember. that way you could get way more lift plus ive heard it rides better.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
lost wages

im thinking of doing a 4 link, it looks like i might have problems with the exhaust if i dont, if i keep the stock trailing arms and build new mounts would the firestone bags i have work fine or since i would be moving them forward(increasing leverage) would i be better off with a larger bag? thanks guys.
lost wages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:59 AM   #6
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

I would stick with the stock trailing arms, and relocate bags. But heck 11" is alot of lift. But not if your body dropping though I guess. I think I'm going to go with Slam bags after that info. Scott told me they where good to.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
fastbagged68

go with a bigger bag and move it up the trailing arm. Mount it on the trailing arm and not to the side of the arm. If you mount it on the side of the trailering arm it will twist. I'm going to move mine to the inside of the frame and directly above the trailing arm and put in a large notch. Also your trailing arm in going to hit the frame where it goes underneath the frame. Right before the orignal spring mount. You can put a large block in the axel to make it not as close, but depending on how big your notch it might not interfere. Hope i made sense.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
orange72

yea with my notch and 3 inch blocks the trailing arm almost hits the inside of the frame. whenever you get the bag mounts finished fastbagged i wouldnt mind seeing some pics. the way you want to do it is exactly how im goin to do it but i would like to see some visuals.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:11 PM   #9
fastbagged68

I will get pics up with in a month or so. I'm going to start making th notch and mounting the bags as soon as I get the frame to my garage. I'm also going to crossmember drop it. I will take progress pics of all the suspension work. I'm trying to get the frame as low as possible with out Zing the frame. To mount my bags in the rear should not take to long
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote