The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Sheet Metal Bender

Do any of you fab guys ever have the need for a sheet metal bender? If so, what kind should I be looking for or what things to look for?

I just found a guy that has one for sale (electromagnet clamp style) that he wants to get rid of. Not sure if I would really use it that much. I guess that I am looking for reasons to either have it or not.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: Sheet Metal Bender

I would love to have one,but I'm a tool addicted.I would make my own Box sides and floor patch panels
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Yeah, I am tool addicted also. I guess I am trying to justify it or not. Dont want it around just collecting dust.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
Do any of you fab guys ever have the need for a sheet metal bender? If so, what kind should I be looking for or what things to look for?

I just found a guy that has one for sale (electromagnet clamp style) that he wants to get rid of. Not sure if I would really use it that much. I guess that I am looking for reasons to either have it or not.
I assume you are talking about a brake. Unless you just like making sheetmetal parts you are correct you won't use it much. It should be at least 48inches wide and bend 16 gauge. Don't know where you live but it would be better to just have it bent unless you get it cheap and can resell it after you used it. If its just a plain brake it won't do box work. Only you know know how much you will use it. A good brake is always useful to have in a metal fab shop. Of course then you will want a shear. then wheel, etc.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Interesting brake. It is a little different.

But I understand, that this starts a whole bunch of other wants also.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Nobaddaze

If your wanting to do any kind of box or pan work you need whats called a finger brake. It has removable fingers that can be rearranged to make different width bends. A good brake is always nice to have but sometimes seldom used. Its like 4 wheel drive...you dont need it until you really "NEED" it. then its always nice to have. If you got the room and extra cash. Im also a tool addict so I say "GO FOR IT!"

My Build
Nobaddaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Indian113

I would hate to have to justify every tool I have in my garage! I have some I only use once or twice a year-but I own them. I love to say "yea I made that" it gives me a chunk of pride. If you can afford it buy it,remember what MBGMIKE says it could lead to more "needed tools"
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I'll bet that think won't be cheap, but it looks nice in the video.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
mbgmike

We sell Fournier tools but now I WANT one of those. I don't even want to know the cost
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
dicer

http://www.google.com/search?q=engli...2&ved=0CE4QsAQ

This would be more usefull on body parts.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
mr48chev

It may end up being an expensive toy or it may be one of those tools that you use way more than you thought you would just because it lets you make a piece that you couldn't make before. If you can afford it without having to cut corners to get it I'd say go for it. If it is a good deal of course. As MBGMike said that would call for having a shear too.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I purchased a Harbor freight 36" brake for about $199 several years ago. Its one of the few HF tools that actually lasted more than a few jobs and it has paid for it self more than once. I used it far more than the box-pan (finger) brake. I make these brackets entirely on a straight brake even the curved part. They are the lower fender brackets on a 55-59 Chevy truck. So you can do quite a lot with a straight brake and a little practice.
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
mbgmike

I buy and sell used industrial cormpressors, steel fabricating, welding equipment etc.all the time is how hooked I am. I just wish I could keep some of it. Seems like i am always needing the $ .I am addicted and can't stop. I bid on a C-120 cargo plane w/o motors one time. I felt the weight come off my shoulders when I lost that one. Someone bid on it and i was a happy camper.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post

I personaly would love to have one but the problem is they take up valuable space, heavy if you have to move it out of the way and once you get your main use out of it you likely wouldn't use it much unless you took up doing small jobs on the side.
For the 2-5x a year I would use one I couldn't justify buying it myself... your situation my be different.
I'm lucky to have access to a full sheet metal shop (which isn't mine) and I can use when I need to, even then I find that I don't take advantage of it very much. I may when I get around to doing my roll pan
Alot of times I just do the layout of what I need and bend it myself using what I have around the shop.
I can see why you would want one though, it's nice to be able to bend and fit sheetmetal in one place instead of taking a short trip between the two steps, gets to be a PITA in a short time.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote