The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
HKing

A few questions

Since my first thread I've come up with several more questions. I realize some of this is putting the cart before the horse but just trying to get a idea of what i'm in for.

If you didn't read my first thread, I'm planning to restore, or at least getting functional, a 57 chevy 3100. It hasn't run in several years but was running when parked.

So, now for the questions.

1. I found a reprint of the original shop manual. Is it worth buying? Is there something out there better?

2. I figure the gas tank is going to have some OLD gas in there. I know it can be cleaned out with lacquer thinner. At that point, depending on how the tank look, is there a do it yourself restore kit you guys would reccomend? Or, if its not rusted real bad would it be ok, at least for now, to clean with lacquer thinner and knock the rust out?

3. The paint is all original and the major rust I've seen so far is on the lower cab corners and kick panel? when you open the door. I'd like to avoid repainting the entire truck, at least for now. Are there people out there that could fix/paint these areas to match the original paint. And can the original paint be restored and saved overall?

I think that covers it for now. Thanks again for your time and being willing to bare with a newbie jumping in over his head.
HKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: A few questions

In order:
1. Yes, I always try to buy original factory manuals for any vehicle I buy and they really help when it comes to working on the older trucks. They show how to work on every mechanical part and usually with good drawings and photos.
2. I haven't done that but getting the tank and lines cleaned out is must and I'd put a kit in the carb before trying to start the truck.

3. that would depend on either the painter or the people at the paint store but it would be pretty hard to match that paint exactly with fade and all.
'
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
bo21

Re: A few questions

If the tank has rust take a hand full of 1/4inch nuts and fill tank with water and shake and dump till its clean .
bo21 is offline   Reply With Quote