The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Caddude101

Auto trans swap

I have several questions so I will make it as short as possible:
1. I have install front disc brakes from a 1982 chevy on my 66 GMC. I want to keep it 6 lug so where can I find the rotors and drop spindles to do this?
2. I am replacing the V-6 with a V-8. Do I need to use the motor mount stands form the 82 donor truck?
3. I am replace the manual trans with a Turbo 400 transand I also have a 67 chevy truck that has all of the auto trans and everything. My question is what do I do with the emergency brake crossmember and do I need to remove the original trans crossmember that had bell housing mounts on it for the trans?

BTW I do have all of the manual trans stuff including the trans and a V-6 for sale if anyone is interested.
Caddude101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
kieth

Re: Auto trans swap

1. If you want to keep the 6 lug you might as well just order drop spindles for the 82 front end. CPP, etc.

2. You can use the motor mounts from the 82 but they will require some mods to the frame. Here is a link to how we used later model motor mounts, this makes the engine sit lower and farther forward which keeps one from having to modify the doghouse (trans tunnel) of the cab. Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...03189305_KyUKk

3. you could reuse the 82 trans crossmember and on my 66 I was able to maintain the e brake cable set up. Do not know about yours. hee is a link to pictures of my ebrake setup.

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...35654459_TEXEE
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Auto trans swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddude101 View Post
I have several questions so I will make it as short as possible:
1. I have install front disc brakes from a 1982 chevy on my 66 GMC. I want to keep it 6 lug so where can I find the rotors and drop spindles to do this?
You can get aftermarket 6 lug rotors for the '73-'87 HD spindles from Classic Performance or Early Classic. You can get your dropped spindles from the same sources and also from McGaughey's

Here is a thread with a bunch of info on front disc brake upgrades.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367260

Quote:
2. I am replacing the V-6 with a V-8. Do I need to use the motor mount stands form the 82 donor truck?
You can use either the '63-'66 small block motor mount stands. If you want to use the '73 and up style, get the motor mount stands from a C20. They fit the early frames without a spacer.

Quote:
3. I am replace the manual trans with a Turbo 400 transand I also have a 67 chevy truck that has all of the auto trans and everything. My question is what do I do with the emergency brake crossmember and do I need to remove the original trans crossmember that had bell housing mounts on it for the trans?
I would remove the e-brake crossmember, and change over to the '66-'72 e-brake system, which uses all cables and hooks. Your '67 will have these parts. I would definitely remove the bellhousing crossmember. It can be a pain to get to the rivets, but your truck will be much easier to work underneath with it gone. If the rivets are too much for you, at least cut the crossmember off flush with the frame flanges.

Quote:
BTW I do have all of the manual trans stuff including the trans and a V-6 for sale if anyone is interested.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote