The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
coondogg52

how to adjust a door

I have a '83 chevy truck, and the driver side door was taken off by the previous owner. When they rehung it they didn't align it. My question is what is the easiest way to align the door so I don't have to slam it every time. Fyi I am getting new door stricker and lock assm because they are messed up from getting rubbed on every time the door opens and closes. Any help would be great.
coondogg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
rayfinseats

Re: how to adjust a door

The door can be jacked up with a floor jack (maybe). You can replace the pins in the hinge with a hinge repair kit. (help parts section auto parts store) The striker peg thing is adjustable. You can shim the bottom hinge.

Last edited by rayfinseats; 06-16-2011 at 12:35 AM.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
hugger6933

You use the body side hinges to move the door forward and back. The door side hinges move the door in and out. Be sure to ckeck the hinges for slop and check the bushings for wear. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
coondogg52

so i should get some shims to move the door in and out?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
hugger6933

You have a great deal of room on the hinges the slots allow to move a bunch. Extreme circumstances do happen and shims can be used after all the slot space is taken and you still can't get your door right. remember body side up and down door side in and out. make sure the higes are tiht by that I mean the is no slop in them by takeing the back of the door and see if it will wiggle up and down . Also close the door to the piont of almost touching the striker. look at the body lines do the door and cab match ? Or is the door depending on the striker to pick it up to line it up.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
coondogg52

the door lines line up pretty good but the door seems like it falls off of the striker, and the lock assm and striker are very worn out. also what is the easiest way to get to the body side bolts doesn't seem like i can get to them without taking the doors off. the hinges are good i think there is no movement in the door when it is open.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
hugger6933

There is a special wrench for the body side hinges. If you cannot find one a "half moon" wrench will work. It is a real pain because there is one bolt in the body side hinge that in from the inside on the top and bottom. If you door gaps are ok at the gap between the cab and door and the gap is even there you will not need to move that sid of the hinge. Now, if the gap is tight at the back of the door but is wide toward the bottom[and if it is it should be the opposite on the fender side] you need to look at the pins in the hinge. Worn pins and bushing will make the door twist in the door opening or pocket [as called in the body "bidness"]. Most of the time a ill fiting door is not even with panels around it and the door side hinges are the answer. you cab cornewr is not moveale but the fender is so, if the door is not fitting at the cab corner you can loosen the bolts on the door side and twist to move in or out the top or bottom . Help me understand your problem better. Where is the door not fitting the way you want? get me a pic of the door and the gaps for me tro look at and maybe then I can better help you with your problem instead of just passing post back and forth.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
7T2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
you cab cornewr is not moveale but the fender is so, if the door is not fitting at the cab corner you can loosen the bolts on the door side and twist to move in or out the top or bottom.

What all is involved in moving the fender forward/backward? Looks like I might need to do this in the near future, as my door/cab corner area is tight and does not line up, and I don't see any space on the fender side to move it in the right direction.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*

Last edited by 7T2; 06-18-2011 at 11:11 AM.
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
J Knight

test
J Knight is offline   Reply With Quote