The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
rob32472

Interested in what others think

How long do you think it will be before they repop a complete steel cab for our trucks?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
BlackTopMotors

Re: Interested in what others think

Probably when they become difficult to find (decent ones) and a buck can be made.
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
chewychevy67

and it will only be a one year cab probably 72 without air. there are such little differences in year to year like the e-brake mounting and 67 jack is diffferently mounted and has a smaller ignition switch than 68-72. it would be too costly to cover all 6 years and models. would be cool for resto mods though.
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
leddzepp

it will be a while...
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
it will be a while...
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree...especially with restrictions tightening up on titles for vehicles in many states and modifications in general in the US and especially Canada. If you can't edit the vin plate in any way(which is now the law in several states and it's moving across the country)....how could you possibly title a vehicle with a repop cab (legally and legitimately)

It's not economically feasible to make a product that only certain people in certain states can even buy legally....and the price they'd sell for would likely turn off most of the remaining potential buyers. Add up the price of a complete floor, complete firewall, and roof skin and most won't even pay that much....and a complete cab (I assume) would have to be 2-3X that cost for someone to make money re-popping.

That being said, I'll take 2 if they make them
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Boog
laying low

The cost of the darn things will be prohibitive. I see the new 48 Chevy cabs ad in the mags. Isn't it like $8,000 or so for just the cab? Does Dynacorn produce them too? I like working with new metal just as much as the next guy but those will most likely be out of the reach of most owners.

Some states do or did have what they called a "reconstructed vehicle" title. This might work for those who buy a repop cab.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 06-16-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
rob32472

Glad to hear the comments so far....... Hmmm I know dynacorn currently is doing two of the 50's model cabs I guess that what brought this to question for me.... if they will do those why not ours?

Last edited by rob32472; 06-16-2011 at 08:53 PM.
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob32472 View Post
Glad to hear the comments so far....... Hmmm I know dynacorn currently is doing two of the 50's model cabs I guess that what brought this to question for me.... if they will do those why not ours?
because there are a lot less of the earlier cabs out there than ours. Also, I've seen a rusty 49 sell for 2K....where a rusty 69 likely would sell for 5-600
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
leddzepp

On a good day, I will run across about a dozen or so (relatively) rust free 67-72 cabs at the pick n pulls. Folks are not going to spend 8K for a cab when one can be had for $500 or so. I think it will be many, many years before a re-pop cab will even be considered.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
On a good day, I will run across about a dozen or so (relatively) rust free 67-72 cabs at the pick n pulls. Folks are not going to spend 8K for a cab when one can be had for $500 or so. I think it will be many, many years before a re-pop cab will even be considered.
The more I think of this the more I think I'm going to have to seriously consider a trip out west to buy a boat load of rust free parts and come back east with them. I imagine I could take a route through the rust belt and have them all sold and delivered before I even got home...
Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Never. Still a ton of these trucks all over, well out here at least.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
The more I think of this the more I think I'm going to have to seriously consider a trip out west to buy a boat load of rust free parts and come back east with them. I imagine I could take a route through the rust belt and have them all sold and delivered before I even got home...
That is an excellent idea. I believe 67/72junkie (Donald) has already done this several times with great success.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
made2drag

i have heard steel prices are up.....i hate hear how many 67-72's are headed to the scrap yard...there were over a hundred classic cars and trucks crushed a couple weeks ago at a junkyard near my house....$100 for every 1000 pounds is what i heard....i wish i could rescue all the 67-72's for $300 each.....i think it may be as soon as 5 years for the re-pops to come out. but i do think these cabs will be like 2k instead of 7 or 8k
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
That is an excellent idea. I believe 67/72junkie (Donald) has already done this several times with great success.
I'm seriously considering it to the point of contacting people about planning and have started looking for parts I can buy out west and have held for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
i have heard steel prices are up.....i hate hear how many 67-72's are headed to the scrap yard...there were over a hundred classic cars and trucks crushed a couple weeks ago at a junkyard near my house....$100 for every 1000 pounds is what i heard....i wish i could rescue all the 67-72's for $300 each.....i think it may be as soon as 5 years for the re-pops to come out.
I do realize there are a lot being crushed....but there were Millions of these trucks...and just check out the washington state craigslist....there must be 100 of them on there right now and there will be 100+ more new ones next month...not to count all the ones not for sale and being enjoyed....for now

Quote:
but i do think these cabs will be like 2k instead of 7 or 8k
what would make you think that? To me, when just the floor is 800...the cab will have to be much more than a couple thousand....
Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
made2drag

crushed, wrecked, abandoned, too far gone, sentimental family truck....lots of reasons why a truck may not be available or wanted. but yeah, i see your point.

ok, maybe not 2k but 3k. like someone said...if you can buy a decent cab for 500 and put a new floor in for 800, then why would a company make and sell them for more than 2 or 3k. for the 3k the company could actually move some cabs and the customer could start with a edp'd cab and only have to worry about fittment issues and not a ton of labor. in a perfect world, that is
Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #16
KrazyRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Jonathan, I've been thinking on the same lines. I would like to haul a bunch of non rusty cabs to the east coast. I'm getting tired of taking all of them to the crusher. My plan would be to drive a square body 4x4 truck pulling a huge flat bed trailer (former travel trailer) full of cabs and other sheet metal, unload the cabs, drop the trailer at the scrap yard, sell the square body to someone that wants a rust free 4x4, and grab a flight back home. I need to get some connections and it may happen.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #17
made2drag

krazyray, i can pitch in some gas money.....
Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #18
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
crushed, wrecked, abandoned, too far gone, sentimental family truck....lots of reasons why a truck may not be available or wanted. but yeah, i see your point.

ok, maybe not 2k but 3k. like someone said...if you can buy a decent cab for 500 and put a new floor in for 800, then why would a company make and sell them for more than 2 or 3k. for the 3k the company could actually move some cabs and the customer could start with a edp'd cab and only have to worry about fittment issues and not a ton of labor. in a perfect world, that is
that's the issue though....a 500 cab likely will need more than just the 800 floor and how much time/money to put it in? Not many are qualified/want to do that type of repair.
And the $500 cali/az cabs generally cost 600-1000 to get to where people need them (in shipping)
Plus, a "used" cab needs to be blasted and primered to be compared to an EDP'd cab. At that point, you're easily talking about having 3-4K into the cab starting with a decent used cab (unless doing all the work yourself-and if you do all the work yourself.....you'd never buy a new cab )

I hope they do make them and they are in the 2-3K range. I just seriously doubt it'll happen soon...and doubt even more they'd be less than 5K....
Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
made2drag

va72c10, you know your stuff! i see what your saying now....5k is more likely
Old 06-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Another thing to keep in mind about repop cabs is the laws for titles.Some states are starting to require that vehicles be titled and pass inspections for the year the maor components were manufactured.In some cases this could mean the truck has to pass current emissions,corrosion,and safety requirements.You might be able to get around it with it being a replacement part but it's still something that may keep someonefrom building tham.I for one would love to see complete new cabs ready to use available.The repop companies don't want to pay for the tooling etc. only to have no demand because the truck has to meet current specs.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
made2drag

paneldeland, great point.....definitely better to stay original in my opinion