The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
68 IRON

I6 Gurus...

I'm in need of knowledge. I've been picking parts from a 79 Nova (PS brackets
and related parts). I think I remember seeing that the timing tab was on the drivers side of the block vs on the passenger side like my current engine shows. The 250 is non integrated head. If this is the case I will definately need the balancer AND the timing gear cover, right? I didn't think they moved this tab around unless its because it came with a pump that would block the view from one side or the other. I'll try and get pics tomorrow if what I stated above is true. Any info about conversion headache stories would be welcome...after all it will prevent me from having anymore! Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. Let me know.
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: I6 Gurus...

I converted mine and the timing tab stayed on the stock drivers side. I have no problem viewing it on mine.

My advise is to get everything on the front of the engine associated with the steering that hasn't been scavenged: pulleys, belts (for sizing), brackets hoses, etc. If you think you need the h-balancer and cover go ahead and get them. Anything that you don't need you can either sell later or keep for future use.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
68 IRON

Ya, thats what I'm thinkin' now...didn't think it would involve the t-gear cover though. I guess better do it now or hunt for weeks later.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

Just did this on the 230 in my 64. No timing cover required. But I found out my brackets/pulleys are from a Camaro. One lesson learned; the lower Alt. bracket is also different. Luckily a buddy of mine had just swapped his 67 Camaro from 250 to 350. That car had/has manual steering but the lower alt bracket is still correct for the P/S set-up. Not sure how much they cross over between Camaro and Nova. I think the parts store guy said the balancer and belts do.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
68 IRON

Frizzle, I've got all brackets from the engine, but figured "why get the balancer when I could buy it new at NAPA". Well with the timing tab on the opposite side....well it starts the chain reaction. I'll try and get the balancer and cover tomorrow, if I have time. Thanks for the words, it helps. Got pics of your setup....those always help!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Frizzle Fry

pics (this is a work truck )

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 06-22-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
68 IRON

My original post was backwards....the tab for my truck is on drivers side and the Nova passenger side. I got the balancer and cover this morning...it went a lot smoother than I thought! I'll get all my parts cleaned up and then I'll post the pics of what I have. This will just leave the steering box and pitman arm....should I grab these off the 72 GMC out in the yard or can I get them aftermarket ( I don't want to miss out if these are tough to get)?

For a working truck, Frizzle, or any other work of art, thats what I hope mine turns out to be!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 IRON View Post
...... This will just leave the steering box and pitman arm....should I grab these off the 72 GMC out in the yard or can I get them aftermarket ( I don't want to miss out if these are tough to get)?.....
As I mentioned above, get anything and everything associated with the power steering if you can. The idea is to get it to work and every thing to line up. If you need to replace some of the parts later than you can take the part with you to make sure you get the right ones.

If you haven't already, get the gear box also. If it needs replacing, you'll have a core. Most of them go for around $40 in the salvage yards around here.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
68 IRON

Right, I didnt even think about that. Ok I'll go and pull the steering box off the 72 GMC.Can Ifigure outthe hoses later? Will the pitman arm work? And yes, I have pulled every pulley attached to the engine (it was a 3 pulley setup):
1 pulley mounted to HB, the HB (2 pulleys),water pump pulleys (3), pump and brackets, lower alt bracket and the long twisted support bracket. I have the double alt pulley (might have to go with a single)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
68gmsee

Gearbox will work. I think mine came of a 72 or newer Dodge truck. About the only differences is the turning radius. Some had a short turning radius and some a long one. I had one that had a 2 1/2 stop to stop and went to 3 1/2. Can't tell that much difference but I think I like the 3 1/2 better.

You'll figure the hoses later. Can't really miss on them if the fittings are the correct size.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
68 IRON

I came across this and noticed I didnt post pics of what I got...sorry. Everybody helped guide me along to do it. I did get the gearbox and pitman arm. Its 4 turns end to end (noticed there was a 4 cast into the case...mean anything?) Havent rebuilt it yet but a neighbor is gonna guide me with a hands on lesson...should be fun, Ive never opened one up. Parts fresh out of the Nova and cleaned up. On another note, just got the manifolds back and should be putting those on when time permits. Might even be adding a 3 OTT w/OD...we'll see! Back to the brackets....
Name:  023.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  I6 power steering 008.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  I6 power steering 009.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  I6 power steering 011.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  I6 power steering 012.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  61.2 KB
They cleaned up nice. And for everyone who finds this looking for advice about what to get....when in doubt get everything you need associated with what you are doing (pulleys, brackets, nuts and bolts). I shoulda grabbed the auto brackets when I saw them!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Frizzle Fry

Nice! So where does this one go? I got my set-up from a guy who had them so I didn't have the opportunity to pull them off myself.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
LowGT

I believe that piece goes from the bolt on the alt mount on the engine block to the outer most bolt on the PS bracket. It just adds support... I'm also missing that bracket in my setup.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #14
RichardJ

I have a similar bar on mine. One end connects to the water pump. The other has a long slot and mirrors the slot on the bottom of the PS pump. Your piece may reach out to the pivot bolt on the bottom of the pump.

My PS bracket is from a 250, but different than yours even before I modified it to fit the 292. It had to be extended higher and trimmed to get behind the by-pass hose. As you can see the pullies are all different.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Frizzle,that bracket goes from the rear pivot bolt on the PS bracket(runs thru it and the pivot piece and the main bracket.) to the rear mount bolt on the alt.You will see which way is up since it will only clear one way.Watch out for the alt wiring to make sure you have clearance.The original bolts on mine were long enough.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
68gmsee

^ correct. I saved this pic sometime back.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
RichardJ

Those are all much later brackets than mine. No 1/2" square holes for belt tightening in the '60s. I thought those tubes on the gear cover for a magnetic timing light probe were not used until the '80s. But, if it is complete and belts lines up, that is what is important.

68gmcee, that hose with the bolt plug, sticking out of the valve cover should be the Fresh Air intake for your PCV system. Fresh clean filtered air from the air cleaner should enter the rocker box and crankcase at that location. Dirty contaminated air and moisture will leave the crankcase through the PCV Valve and be burned in the engine.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
Frizzle Fry

Ahhhhh, thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
68gmcee, that hose with the bolt plug, sticking out of the valve cover should be the Fresh Air intake for your PCV system. Fresh clean filtered air from the air cleaner should enter the rocker box and crankcase at that location.
Thanks, RichardJ. That pic is one I saved from another post some time ago. Not sure who the truck belonged to but hope he reads this.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #20
OLEBEATER

Am in need of some of the p/s brackets. I have the large one that bolts to the head but I need the rest. Thanks in advance.
OLEBEATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #21
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

olebeater,the bracket you have ,as far as I can tell,is "generic" it works for all of them.The rest of the brackets and pulleys will need to be a set.The alignment is different on at least two styles(there may be others).The pulley on the pump may have a recessed hub on the pulley or a extended one.The brackets are offset(front to rear) so that either will line up but only with the correct offset on the pulley.
When you find a PS system,get it all,brackets,pulleys,bolts,belts everything.It will make it much easier to work thru.PS bracketry will work from any 250 on any 250 as near as I can tell.You may find units in Novas,Camaros(good luck with that),trucks and maybe some full size cars.The harmonic balancer will need to be a double groove type.Don't get the integrated head style,it will work but requires altering,someone has posted on that but I don't have a link.

BTW I'm working on a guide to post on what works together but haven't had a chance to put it all together.This is for the 6's since theu get less love.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

olebeater,the bracket you have ,as far as I can tell,is "generic" it works for all of them.The rest of the brackets and pulleys will need to be a set.The alignment is different on at least two styles(there may be others).The pulley on the pump may have a recessed hub on the pulley or a extended one.The brackets are offset(front to rear) so that either will line up but only with the correct offset on the pulley.
When you find a PS system,get it all,brackets,pulleys,bolts,belts everything.It will make it much easier to work theu.

BTW I'm working on a guide to post on what works together but haven't had a chance to put it all together.This is for the 6's since theu get less love.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
68 IRON

These are all good pics to show the differeces that I wasn't aware of when I started searching for these brackets. Compare the spacing with the water pump pulleys...Mine have a big space vs the others where they are narrower. As everyone said get everything associated with the PS setup (pump, brackets, pulleys, hardware and HB...this last one gets overlooked because it does double duty as pulley and HB). And take pics of what you have before taking it appart. I took pics when I took it out but I wish I could confirm which pulley lined up with what (I'm thinkin' on mine most fwd pulley PS and the one closest to the block for Alt). The middle pulley won't get used that one was for A/C.

Olebeater, If I remember correct, PICKMUP was putting together a few "confirmed" set of brackets....I'd check with him.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

68,I just noticed the 79Nova.I know there are differences in the integrated head Vs non-integrated head brackets.I hope someone who knows what they are will chime in.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #25
longbed67

Looks like you got the timing tab figured out but if you ever get the itchin to put an adjustable one on here is a link to one.

http://www.12bolt.com/250292_product...ne_accessories
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote