The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Vernski

Markeb01 Re: J-B weld

Worked out very well came out smoother than I expected. If I had welded it it would have looked like a bird pooped on it, plus of course it didn't warp and the seam was sandblasted good check out the photo's...Vernski
Attached Images

Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Joemomma1

Re: Markeb01 Re: J-B weld

My, my looks good. How did it sand?
Posted via Mobile Device
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma1 View Post
My, my looks good. How did it sand?
Posted via Mobile Device
It takes a little more effort than filler, you don't want to let it set for a few days until it's fully cured to sand it as it gets hard as steel. Overnight will do it then sand it. And this the long set J-B not the quick set stuff as it takes awhile to lay it out and then let it flow out into the seams...Vernski
Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

That looks great Vernski!
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
vgnope

Way better than bondo.. Did u use it more like a filler?for holes or jus for body lines? What would u recommend for holes?
Posted via Mobile Device
vgnope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgnope View Post
Way better than bondo.. Did u use it more like a filler?for holes or jus for body lines? What would u recommend for holes?
Posted via Mobile Device
In this case I used it as a seam sealer but I don't see why you couldn't fill holes with it also just as long as you can level what your working on. Just put some tape on the back side of the holes you are filling and go from there. Markeb01 has a article on this forum about it. Just do a search for J-B weld there are other article's about it look for mark's....Vernski
Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here's the thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369713
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
shortbed70

Looks good but I still question how it will hold up to vibrations that's why I welded mine. I totally agree it's easier than welding but I know mine won't crack or pull lose. Not trying to harp on ya jus giving you my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
That looks great Vernski!
Nice work------

Hey Mark you have a 66 gmc , did yours have the brackets that install on the upper radiator support and then attach to the front grill surround to support it ? I have a 65 and a 66 and neither gmc has those 2 brackets, I have a 65 chevy and it has them. Do the gmc's have them

ps did not mean to hijack the thread........Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
Nice work------

Hey Mark you have a 66 gmc , did yours have the brackets that install on the upper radiator support and then attach to the front grill surround to support it ? I have a 65 and a 66 and neither gmc has those 2 brackets, I have a 65 chevy and it has them. Do the gmc's have them

ps did not mean to hijack the thread........Kieth
My GMC is a 1960, and has the old conventional mounting style with side flanges that bolt directly to the sides of the radiator support. I’m not familiar whether GMC ever changed to the easier mounting rubber cushioned design.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
CaptHutch66
Ooops! Wonder what that costs?

My 66 GMC has the bracket with the rubber in it for the radiator. I'm not sure if that was one of the changes in 64 or not.
CaptHutch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
jocko

Hmm. Thanks for posting the original thread Mark, I know I've seen it before but hadn't paid much attention. I've removed my chrome bed rails and now need to fill in the darn screw holes the guy created that installed them(!) Was going to weld, and still might, but this is an interesting alternative. I've got the welder, a brass flat spoon for backing - assuming I can even get the spoon behind some of the holes (some I know I can't, at least not without hacking up the brass soon some). So I'm gonna consider this stuff, sure is easier and none of the spots are exposed on the backside - unless you run yout fingers up under the bedrail - they ar enot visible though. Only the top of the bedrail holes are and that is where i'd be finishing it. Bummer gonna have to get some paintin done when it's all over with, but oh well.

Was kinda interesting - Knew my truck was originally light blue and had been re-painted light blue at some point. When I removed the bed rail stantions, it was obvious that whenever the truck was last painted that the bedrails were left in place and just masked off - because the paint UNDER the stantions was more faded than the paint that was showing. It was the original light blue paint. Had even turned a little green, would be a perfevct patina'ed original if they'd never painted it at all! but then again, not sure what condition the rest of the paint was in, so I'm not complainin either...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #13
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Interestingly, I recently removed the bed rails from the top of my bed sides and had eight holes to fill. Once again relying on my ever present supply of JB Weld, the first thing I did was chamfer the holes with a 45 degree single flute bit. This makes the hole smaller at the bottom and larger on top for better grip, and provides fresh clean metal for good adhesion. The only backing I used was duct tape. The top of the bed sides were already painted blitz black, so I didn’t really want to refinish the entire surface since it’s going to have a bed cover over it anyway. In order to minimize the amount of work required, for each hole I used a hollow punch and cut a hole in a piece of 2” masking tape the exact size of the chamfered hole in the bed. I then placed the hole in the tape directly over the hole in the bed. With duct tape underneath, I swiped on a single pass of JB Weld until it was completely smooth and flush with the tape. Once it went off, I pulled the tape and was left with a perfect circle of JB Weld the exact size of the hole with no residue or smearing.

Since the bed sides are covered I just quit there. With the cover open a casual observer will never even notice there use to be holes, and if I decide to paint the top of the bed sides, all it needs is block sanding to make them invisible. I’m sorry to say I didn’t think to take any photos of the process, but it’s an easy way to make permanent plugs in a small hole without disturbing the surrounding paint.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #14
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Man that came out looking good! This gave me some good ideas of how I can fix some small issues on my own pickup without a lot of work that is way over my head right now. Subscribing and bookmarking so I don't forget when it comes time. Thanks a ton for sharing!
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #15
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Thanks for posting the link Mark!...Vernski