The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
notorious

Mechanical issues!!~~!! 1972 4x4 blazer cross member nightmare!

Hello folks,

heres what i keeeepp having issues with..
i noticed that my oil pan was leaking oil from where the timing cover and pan meet a month ago.
Lol the first time i replaced it i used a standard cork with very little sealant but it leaked on the front rubber seal where 9 oclock would be, so i figured it was the pan which i ordered and a new timing cover with a one in all piece rubber gasket from summit. So i put that on with no sealant because of the rubber gasket but it still leaked where 6 oclock would be!
the following weekend i take it off and get a standard cork gasket and put sealant on it with me replacing the oil pump, but it continues to leak, grant it not nearly as much but enough to where im draining my pockets in oil.
Ive asked my good friends that have this year truck and they cant figure out what im doing wrong? i have the manual and im torquing them correctly.

the other issue is just heating i live in palm springs ca and it gets extremely hot here 120 but its been 110 and my new gauge is showing im close to hitting 210 degrees. Whats the max i should let it get to and what can you guys suggest as to what measures i can do to improve it? thermostat or no thermostat? i have a aftermarket flex fan but have been considering an electric dual set up....

thanks for your imput in advance guys!
notorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Mechanical issues!!~~!! 1972 4x4 blazer cross member nightmare!

First, overheating- I don't like the flex fans, because they don't necessarily pull air as hard through the radiator. Also, make sure you have a working thermostat with the correct heat range.

As far as the pan leak, is there a possibility your harmonic balancer is worn where the seal rides on it, and it might be leaking from there and draining down onto the pan?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
notorious

i put a new seal when i got the timing cover, but not a new harmonic balancer which could definitely be the problem , right?.... i wanted to change it to be safe but im completely new to tearing apart engines so i followed the lead of a friend that was there and helping.
i have a 5.7 350 small block, would i just pop a new one on or do i have to do something else with it?
lol i told you im a rookie my bad. thanks again
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
truckster

I would just pull it and look to see if it's got ridges worn in it. If it does, you might have a hard time getting it to seal.

You can buy a sleeve kit for it, but in my opinion it's not worth the hassle. I'd just replace it. They're not terribly expensive.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
notorious

No not expensive at all. Thanks very much for your input I appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device