The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Tbruz

Horn contact for stock wheel question

Trying to get a stock wheel back on my 72 Blazer after removing a aftermarket wheel.

How does the horn contact and spring fit into the canceling cam?

I can't find a real assembly photo but the LMC catalog show the contact pin first(wide part down), followed by the spring then the plastic spacer.
No way this can work.

Only way I can figure is spring first, then plastic spacer followed by contact pin(wide side up) but the spring seems really weak.
Any inputs appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony
Tbruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
My3Sons!

Re: Horn contact for stock wheel question

Anybody know the answer to this thread, lots of old threads on the topic but they seem to contradict, I have LMC kit as well and have 3 primary parts. Spring, metal contact stud and plastic ring. I've read you have to dremel down the metal contact stud for the plastic piece to fit, which seems extreme to me, also some threads mention just cutting the plastic piece. Just looking for confirmation on what should be very simple. Spring, then metal contact stud, then plastic ring around the 'head' of the contact stud to hold it at the end of the spring, yes? The part that confuses me is what is the actual trigger of the horn, I would have though it's the contact stud grounding out on the oval ring, if that's the case then what's with the plastic ring that prevents them from touching? What am I missing here.....
My3Sons! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
sstone69

I was confused with this about a year ago. The LMC catalog picture is incorrect. The first picture is how I installed the horn contact, the second one is a side view of the horn contact.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
My3Sons!

Thanks for the pics, I think I've got the horn button kit covered, but am still stumped on the horn contact piece. The little spring, stud, plastic ring piece that goes into the larger hole in the center of the wheel. The piece that actually makes the horn honk when you press down on the center cap.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
My3Sons!

For anyone stumbling across this thread, see more thorough resolution here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=538325