The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
bowtie70

Newbie, need information on speedometer hookup.

I am a newbie to this board and also working on my first chevy engine swap project. Thanks for any help you guys may give me.

The project I am working on is an lq9 4l60 engine and transmission assembly into a 70 4x4 C/10 short bed pickup. I am at the point where I need to make a decision about the speedometer hookup and have a question about a plug in the left side of the transmission (see picture below). I am thinking it might be for a mechanical speedometer drive. If so, is the drive gear assembly all that is needed to hook up the origional speedometer. I realize that if the mechanical drive is used that the speed indication would only be accurate when the transfer case is in high range, but this would not be an issue for me.

Thanks for any information,

Roger

bowtie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Buckeye Puller

Re: Newbie, need information on speedometer hookup.

The 4L60E has no gear in it to run a mechanical speedometer. I dont know if you can put one on the output shaft on a 4x4 either. You can get a converter box to drive a mechanical speedometer from the vss signal from Abbott Enterprises.
Buckeye Puller is offline   Reply With Quote