The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
kurts704

4x4 axle upgrade?

I want to upgrade the axles in my 67 K10 stepside. I have a 87 K10 Blazer rolling chassis. I want to put the axles under my truck. Just wanted to know if anyone did this before I tear into it. I'm guessing it's pretty much a bolt in? Do I have to lengthen/shorten the driveshafts? I will now have power disk brakes. What do I need to convert the brakes? A power booster from a 67-72 and a newer master cylinder? I have 3.73's now with my 3 speed manual, turning over 2500 rpm's at 60. The new axles have 3.08's, should help me on the highway! I appreciate any info before I start wrenchin! Thanks guys.
00 Harley Fatboy (2 wheel toy)
67 Mustang (project)
kurts704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
starvinartis

Re: 4x4 axle upgrade?

The front axle is straightforward bolt-in but the u-joints may be different size, this is an easy remedy tho, joints are made with two different size sides. The 87 rear axle will have to be modified vis-a-vie the shock mounts, 67 has both shocks on the (front? rear?) haha brain fart. The 87 will have a staggered pattern, and again the u-joint may be different size. Alnd check the e-brake cables to the rear, 87 has one cross over on the axle instead of one on each side. Also the 87 will probably have a 10 bolt axle set, this is a weaker set-up in the rear than your current 12 bolt. The front Corporate axle is also less desirable than your current Dana 44. As I recall, 67 has a closed knuckle config, eliminating the possibiity of simply switching the disc brake outers onto your 44. As for the power booster set-up, use the 71-72 and be sure to change the proportioning valve too!!! Failure to do so will cause brake lock-up at loads. Now you will also need a couple of the steel brake lines in the front of your truck changed to match up to the disc set-up. I recommend finding a 4x4 donor truck in the 71-72 era only, it will save time, expense,and show you at a glance what needs to be changed/modified. If I haven't scared you off this idea it will work! Good luck!

Last edited by starvinartis; 06-23-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Errors in typing
starvinartis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
starvinartis

BTW, you didn't mention tire size, going larger tires will also raise the overall ratio if that is the main concern. However, you WILL love stopping with your toe instead of your leg if you go with disc brakes!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
kurts704

Thanks for the info, very good info! It will be nice to stop without straining my leg muscles. Think I'm just going to do it. Not worried much about durability, I don't do anything heavy, I drive it, go to Home Depot and occasionally for a cruise down the beach. Know anything about the springs? I wanted to lift the truck a few inches, but the 67 springs are narrower? No one makes them for that year. Do I have to switch the front hanger to a 69-72? Any market to sell the front and rear that's in my truck now? This is a very low-budget machine.
00 Harley Fatboy (2 wheel toy)
67 Mustang (project)
kurts704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
starvinartis

well there's always lift blocks of various thickness you can put between the spring and axle mount pad for a little lift
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
msgross

add-a-leaf springs will give you 1-1.5" lift or you can look at a local spring shop for options.... zero-rate leafs are easy for 1" or you can swap springs, hangars and axles from a newer truck....

check out my 68 K-10 thread for some newer axle install pics.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote