The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Air horns

After an almost nasty incident on the freeway today, I've decided I'm going to get some air horns on the truck. Some idiot came up and almost sideswiped me on the on-ramp merge passing me in the dirt on the right side, and I was going at least 80 when he did it. Almost hit my daughters door. then he started screwing with me. I need something that will shock ya and stun ya and I've seen horns that will do it. I wan't em. I've also been having problems with tractor trailers swerving left on me when I pass them. coming from a family with lots of truck drivers, all i can say is the REAL truck drivers are far and few between nowadays. seems like they're all local jockeys who are going on long trips for the first time.

The stockers just don't cut it. I want the loudest one I can get that can be mounted within reason to the truck and not be mounted within plain sight. I'm not sure yet where the compressor will go, but the horns will be under the hood somewhere and the tank will be under the bed where the spare tire used to be. I'm thinking putting the compressor in the front of the bed, ahead of one of the wheel-wells.

Have any of you guys bought stuff from hornblasters.com before? they're the one's I'm looking at right now.

This is the setup I'm looking at. If I don't like the 2 gallon tank later I have some little 4 gallon tanks around the house I could try later, maybe.

I want these Horns:
http://www.hornblasters.com/products...r-4-train-horn

And this air system:
http://www.hornblasters.com/products...orn-air-system

If I have to, to get maximum volume, I'll drill holes in the core support so they can be open to the back of the grille.

If you guys have any pics of your setups, I'd appreciate a look see. I need ideas so i don't have to cut up the truck more than necessary.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 06-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
MadManAndrew

Re: Air horns

Can't say I've ever had any experience with horns like that, but my dad put of these on his truck and that thing was a b*tch! It definetely scared the stuck up outta people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

me and my freinds travel in a pack for poeple like that, put a cb in the equation and its coordinated counter attack the never expect the never try anything else, between four heavy chevys i say they may make some bowel movements lol
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Chevyrado View Post
I've also been having problems with tractor trailers swerving left on me when I pass them. coming from a family with lots of truck drivers, all i can say is the REAL truck drivers are far and few between nowadays. seems like they're all local jockeys who are going on long trips for the first time.
I work part time as a diesel clerk at a truck stop and I can tell you that the trucking industry definitely has it's fair share of bad apples. Some of the guys are honest to goodness nice people, but along with that there's a lot of guys with some real bad attitudes.

It always seems like the guys that brought their wife or family along, or ran the same route everyday and got to go home to their wife and kids every night are the nice ones.

The guys that stay on the road for weeks at a time always seem to be the ones that aren't so happy. I know I'd be going crazy too.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

I picked up the Outlaw 5000 Chrome Freightliner Train Horns from hornblasters a few years ago for the same reason. I've currently got them mounted under the hood just above the heater housing. I tapped into the horn wire under the hood and mounted a floor mounted dimmer switch to the floor in the stock location so I could toggle between the factory "BEEP BEEP" horn and the "WAKE THE F@*# UP TRAIN HORN.
I mounted an 8 gallon tank under the drivers side of the Suburban and plumbed it into the cab through the firewall to my in dash factory air pressure gauge, across under the dash and back out to the horns valve/manifold. currently running 1/4" air line tube to them but will be remounting them soon up under the front of the truck to the front cross member and upgrading to either 3/8 or 1/2" i.d. air line from the tank directly to the horns to get more air volume through the horns and make them even louder than they already are.
My compressor is mounted just behind the air tank.

Have I scared the daylights outta people with it? YOU KNOW IT!!!
I'll get some pics of my set up added to this post tomorrow. It's 11:30 p.m. here right now and it's getting dusk out. Sun'll be up inabout 4 hours but I'll be sawing logs at that time.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade

Last edited by BLE 'BURBAN; 06-24-2011 at 04:01 AM.
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

sounds like fun
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

search train horn on the net they have abunch that will rock the next town over... lol if this happens at night some KC hiliters and air horns should wake up the moron

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I'm probably going to go with the setup I listed above, I haven't found one I like better and everybody seems to like them. I'm hoping to get them in a few weeks. I've got a trip to go on in 2 weeks, so they will have to wait till after that.

Thanks for the input fellas!
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
MistaGavin

I want a setup that sounds like an actual big rig. I'm not too interested in a train horn but just want one that sounds really deep unlike many of the ones I'm finding online that don't sound too serious.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
Redcap

If you really want to scare the crap out of someone, grab a yarder whistle.
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #11
BLE 'BURBAN

Ok finally got off my arse and took some pics of my air horns and the compressor and tank. first few are of the horns themselves then the tank and compressor mounted to the outside of the drivers side framerail tank in front with the compressor in back. Also included pics of the onboard air source hookup I plumbed in under the drivers side rear seat.

The purple thing at the front of the tank is a brand new relay/pressure switch I just replaced today

This is under the drivers side rear seat

Plans are to move them up under the front of the burb inbetween the front cross member and the front bumper and to run 1/2" airline insted of 1'4" airline.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #12
juiceman650

I love train horn set ups, I think I might do one on my 75.
Posted via Mobile Device
juiceman650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #13
MalibuSSwagon

I have a 28" long horn I pulled off a Mack truck. Sucker is LOUD! Supposedly 1 mile range. I suppose thats enough. Plan to mount it under the hood on the inner fender. Have a tank, just need a compressor and electric solenoid switch
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
Ok finally got off my arse and took some pics of my air horns and the compressor and tank. first few are of the horns themselves then the tank and compressor mounted to the outside of the drivers side framerail tank in front with the compressor in back. Also included pics of the onboard air source hookup I plumbed in under the drivers side rear seat.

The purple thing at the front of the tank is a brand new relay/pressure switch I just replaced today

This is under the drivers side rear seat

Plans are to move them up under the front of the burb inbetween the front cross member and the front bumper and to run 1/2" airline insted of 1'4" airline.
awesome setup!
man anybody ever hit that while your under the hood ?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
J Knight

Any of the larger air horns will sound like train horns as long as you use 1/2in line or larger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
BLE 'BURBAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
awesome setup!
man anybody ever hit that while your under the hood ?
LOL NOPE!!! I put an old school floor mounted dimmer switch on the floor in the factory position so I can switch back and forth from the factory horn to the air horn for that reason amungst others. (Honest officer that wasn't me .... here's what my horn sounds like......BEEP BEEP)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
LOL NOPE!!! I put an old school floor mounted dimmer switch on the floor in the factory position so I can switch back and forth from the factory horn to the air horn for that reason amungst others. (Honest officer that wasn't me .... here's what my horn sounds like......BEEP BEEP)
Great idea, I think we need to get some candid shots of shock and omg lol
Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #18
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

I bought a pair of "Casey Jones" horns from Pep Boys years ago. Mounted them under the hood and used the stock wiring from the factory horns. I sounded like the Union Pacific coming down the street!
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
80stepsideguy
Laid back freak

Talking Re: Air horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
I bought a pair of "Casey Jones" horns from Pep Boys years ago. Mounted them under the hood and used the stock wiring from the factory horns. I sounded like the Union Pacific coming down the street!

If you don`t mind me ask but what did the horns cost you.I was going to go with a stock setup but the truck is FAR from stock and i like to make sure if someone gets close they know that these horns will make sure there shorts are soiled and wont mess with us..

thanks
Pat
80stepsideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #20
BLE 'BURBAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
Great idea, I think we need to get some candid shots of shock and omg lol
This happened shortly after I installed the horns back in '08.......

At the corner of Jewel lake road & International Airport Rd. Here in Anchorage, Alaska the Railroad tracks run along the north side of International towards the airport. Last night I pulled up there in the left turn lane and the woman in front of me in a small station wagon was stopped right on the tracks with more than plenty of room in front of her for her to move up and clear the tracks. Now mind you these tracks aren't used all that often but everyone knows YOU DON'T STOP ON THE TRACKS!!!! Well she sitting there waiting for the green turn arrow eating here lunch. She reaches for her soda and just as she brings it up to get a drink I hit the horn....
She jumped hit her head on her roof and I watched soda and food go flying everywhere!!!! Light turned green and she immediately pulled over after the turn to clean out her car. I blasted her again as I went by her and she showed me I was "NUMBER 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stepsideguy View Post
If you don`t mind me ask but what did the horns cost you.I was going to go with a stock setup but the truck is FAR from stock and i like to make sure if someone gets close they know that these horns will make sure there shorts are soiled and wont mess with us..

thanks
Pat
My horn kit (Outlaw 5000 Chrome Freightliner Train Horn system) came with the air comressor you see in the pic and a small 3/4 gallon tank that lasted for about 3 1/2 seconds of blast time. The price for it back in April of '08 was $499.00. Unfortunatly, they no longer have them listed on their website.

Last edited by BLE 'BURBAN; 07-07-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #21
vegas80step

I would say an airhorn is a must have... they should have came factory... haha

A mean looking, load as all hell truck and the then little "beep beep" (can't have that)
vegas80step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #22
thrtsxchambers

I bought a set of train horns a few years ago and they are a blast. I just tied mine in with the air bag system. Mine are mounted under the bed and they will scare people to death. Just don't do it to anyone on a motorcycle, they come close to wrecking.
Posted via Mobile Device
thrtsxchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
98crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrtsxchambers View Post
I bought a set of train horns a few years ago and they are a blast. I just tied mine in with the air bag system. Mine are mounted under the bed and they will scare people to death. Just don't do it to anyone on a motorcycle, they come close to wrecking.
Posted via Mobile Device
as a biker....thank you for that....lol
98crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #24
BLE 'BURBAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrtsxchambers View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Nah only pedestrians, stray cats and dogs(Cats jump real high when HORNED!!) the occasional Moose and Jack-hole drivers that aren't paying attention to the road.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #25
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

punishment for texters missing the light change lmao