The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
FLcustom10

Steering Column assistance needed

I had the body shop paint my steering column and I'm thinking they took it apart and put it back together wrong. I wasn't expecting them to take it apart. I think this spring may be on the wrong side of the washer. Am I correct in my thinking and if so do you have any advice on how to take it apart to get the spring back on the right side of the washer? Here's a current picture along with a previous one.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Images

FLcustom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Steering Column assistance needed

All of the original columns that I have seen are set up like the picture below.

Jim
Attached Images

1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
FLcustom10

Thanks. That looks right to me. I'll print that picture off and I guess I'll take it back to the body shop Monday and ask them what they did. I don't see why they would have needed to take this part of it apart at all. Here are some close ups of before and after. It looks like I'm going to need to take the clamp off to reverse the washer and the spring. The bolt and nut will come off, but the clamp doesn't seem to budge. Any idea how to remove this clamp?
Attached Images

Last edited by FLcustom10; 06-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
You don't need the clamp off. Just slide that whole assembly down off the column shaft and reverse the parts. You may have to tap on it with a small hammer after you get the bolt out. After you get the steering wheel on it the spring has to have tension on it because that is what pre-loads the lower column bearing.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=440343

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 06-25-2011 at 11:56 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
It looks to me like this whole assembly has to slide up into the column tube more than it is. The lower bearing (arrow) needs to be up inside the tube, with the spring against it.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 06-26-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
FLcustom10

Thank you so much LockDoc!

The lower bearing would not fit up inside the column because the ring that it fits into was upside down. I reversed it and it fits now. As long as I had it apart I put wheel bearing grease on the bearings. I'm just afraid of what else has been taken apart and put together wrong. Here are pictures of where I am now. My concern right now is that I'm not able to put the shifter through the motions. I don't know the right terminology but it seems that the shifter linkage is getting caught on each other and not allowing it to go to the park position. Can you look at these pictures and see if you see anything wrong? Or does it need the pressure from the steering wheel before it can go through the shifter motions?
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
FLcustom10

I think I figured out my shift problem. I took the column further apart and found that the after-market shift lever was not fitting into the hole. I'll start a new thread to talk about that. Any observations about what you see I've done so far would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

I just came in from the shop and I have to go look at a car for the wife. I will check it out closer when I get back.

LockDoc

-
Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Boog
laying low

I'm trying to piece one good column together from a couple of partial ones and I see a couple of parts I will have to come up with.
As far as the shift lever is concerned, I just bought a new one last week. The guy told me there are differences between them.
He said there are four different ones for auto columns. The difference being the shape and length of the pin and ball on the end of the lever. That may be what's up with yours?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
FLcustom10

Thanks Boog. You are right there are different shift levers for different years. This one could have been packaged wrong, but the packaging says: 71-7213 - SLNT 1971-72 Chevrolet/ GMC Truck 3 speed and automatic shift lever (w/o tilt). I have a 1972 Chevy C10.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't see anything wrong in your pictures. We'll see what transpires with the shift lever...

LockDoc

-
Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
FLcustom10

Thanks LockDoc. The shifter is now working, but it's kind of rough. We'll see what happens when I get more connected. Thanks for your help.

Tom
Old 07-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
FLcustom10

I have the steering column put back together and installed. It's shifting much better now, but I'm concerned I may be missing two parts. According to this diagram, items 2 and 3 are shift housing bushing and bushing seat. I'm wondering if the painter - who originally disassembled the column to paint it and then put it back together incorrectly - lost the parts. Or maybe, they're for a standard shift instead of automatic and I don't need them. Does anyone know if the shift housing bushing and bushing seat are required for an automatic non-tilt 72 steering column? It seems to be working. Can you look at these pictures and see if it looks like those parts are missing?
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Tom,

See if this helps. I'm not 100% sure these are '72 but it should give you some idea what you need.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
FLcustom10

Thank you LockDoc!

That's it. I need parts 2 and 3. That means I have to take this thing apart one more time. I'll ask the body shop if they can find them. If not, does anyone know where I can order them from?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcustom10 View Post
Thank you LockDoc!

That's it. I need parts 2 and 3. That means I have to take this thing apart one more time. I'll ask the body shop if they can find them. If not, does anyone know where I can order them from?
If they can't find them I can send you the ones in the picture. They aren't new but they are in good shape. Let me know...

You should be a steering column expert by the time you get done with this thing...

LockDoc

-
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
FLcustom10

Wow - Thank you! I'll check with the shop and let you know. You're right - I think I've about got the hang of this one. lol
Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #18
Sammy

Just wait till you tangle the first time with a tilt. If your not a drinker already after this one you would be once you get inside the tilt with those pins and springs.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Hugger_Orange

FLcustom10,
Where did you find that exploded drawing with callouts on the steering column? Haynes manual? I just bought a 71 and I'm having shifting issues. From what I've been reading, the whole linkage may simply need to be cleaned/lubricated so I'll try the simple fix first.
Hugger_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugger_Orange View Post
FLcustom10,
Where did you find that exploded drawing with callouts on the steering column? Haynes manual? I just bought a 71 and I'm having shifting issues. From what I've been reading, the whole linkage may simply need to be cleaned/lubricated so I'll try the simple fix first.

First thing I would do is to spray some PB Blaster into the opening where the shift lever goes in. Spray above and below the lever then pull it up towards you then push it back down towards the dash a few times.. I have found that the shift lever hangs up in that area and a good shot of penetrating oil/lube helps a lot. The lever has to move up and down to shift through the gears.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
DT1

Not meaning to Hi-Jack this thread but I have a couple of questions about lower bearing R&R.
Can the lower bearing be replaced without taking out the entire steering column and is there any adjustment needed after it's replaced?
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
Jerblazer72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Just wait till you tangle the first time with a tilt. If your not a drinker already after this one you would be once you get inside the tilt with those pins and springs.
I second Sammy,
I took apart a tilt column 2 years ago in my restoration process and put it back together a couple months ago. Wow, it took 2 days and many trips to the computer to search for pictures. I dont recommend taking one apart and then leaving it in pieces for 2 years.
Jerblazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
Not meaning to Hi-Jack this thread but I have a couple of questions about lower bearing R&R.
Can the lower bearing be replaced without taking out the entire steering column and is there any adjustment needed after it's replaced?

To the best of my knowledge you have to remove the steering box or the column to replace the lower bearing. There is a preload setting on the lower bearing spring which is different depending on the year.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
JonFrankMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
To the best of my knowledge you have to remove the steering box or the column to replace the lower bearing. There is a preload setting on the lower bearing spring which is different depending on the year.

LockDoc
A preload setting? I am about to tackle replacing the upper and lower bearings, the new ones are actually sitting here staring at me as I type. It's not a simple yank old one/install new one process?

Thanks LockDoc
JonFrankMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #25
Hugger_Orange

Thanks LockDoc,
The penetrating oil did the trick. I was shifting within minutes! I still need to take apart the turn signal housing cause when I pulled the shifter out, I could see some sort of loose debris in there. I couldn't tell what it was but it looked metallic :-( I used Purple Extreme. It's the only penetrating oil I've ever used. I don't know if all of them work as well as PEx but I've used 3 drops of that stuff to unlock a seized crescent wrench in the past.

I think I may have the same issue as FLCustom10 cause my lower bearing (1) does not go up inside the tube either. There is about an inch of slack in the column so something is not fitted properly. In the pic, I've pulled the shaft towards me (while seated) as far as possible and it still doesn't close the gap. I've yet to take off the entire assembly as my main concern was getting it to shift. I degreased the engine last night (after taking the pic) so I'll take another look tonight.

How tight should the nut (2) be? When I bought the truck it was very loose although it held. Does it just need to be tight enough to hold the arm (3) in the hole in the bolt (4) or should I crank it down?

Lastly, the arm (3) is not perfectly straight? Should I be concerned with this if I'm not having trouble shifting?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Hugger_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote